Sending money to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sending money to Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

If you are in the KOW and getting money from overseas via a local ATM, this is my experience for Australian cards (may be applicable to other countries too)

I have 3 debit cards that apply the Mastercard or Visa rate of forex plus no fees. Albeit there can be local ATM fees..see below.

1. UBank debit Visa card 2. Citibank debit Mastercard 3. Macquarie debit Mastercard.

Most local banks charge $US5 at local bank ATMs when you withdraw $$ using a foreign card. The only local fee free exception to my knowledge is MB bank. There's an ATM on the corner of 118 and riverside and few others incl there head office on Norodom. The bad news: 1. they only accept Visa cards 2. their ATMs have not been working since before the new year. They originally told me they were waiting on new machines from Vietnam but after 6 mths I've lost faith (albeit I haven't checked recently).

The next best is a $US4 fee at some banks. The ones I know are Vattanac and UCB. With Vattanac I found I could only withdraw a daily maximum of $US500 and that applied to all 3 cards. With UCB (there's an ATM on st 130) I could withdraw $US1000 (actually, I do $990) with my UBank card but only $US500 with the other 2. Go figure..
DaniHirsch
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by DaniHirsch »

Just for the record, Transferwise, as you guys foresaw, was a real crap. Effective but in terms of money, a scam.

I made another couple of sendings. I used Ria, for which I fixed my problems in their website, thanks to their online support, and cheaper than doing in a phisical Ria shop. Money can be picked at any ABA.

And WorldRemit, which money can be picked at Wing. World remit seems more professional. But both worked. Didn't make numbers of which was better all in all. I think Ria is 4 euro per sending and World Remit 5 euro.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

TransferWise is not a scam, just not good for what you were doing.

Still the best for me when sending gbp from UK & Over £2.5k

Below that other options are better
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I have used SWIFT for large sums of money, western union for smaller amounts that can be picked up within a few minutes of sending or just smashed atms and paid the fees.
Gilly
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Gilly »

To sum up... From European bank account to Cambodia
RIA 1000$US from Europe to ABA costs 25$ = 2.5% commission
ATM withdrawal 1000$US from ABA ATM costs me 9$ = 0.9% commission (no withdraw fee with revolut premium)
Western Union 1000$ transfered through bank account and cash in WU costs 13$ = 1.3% commission

Now I'm looking for a bank to put USDs on it (from my Revolut account) which can swift transfer my ABA Account (for free). Ideally this bank is for non-resident (no proof of address needed) and online. Thus will pay 0.1% commission from ABA for the inward swift transfer (I've seen that the rate is 0.07% with Canadia). If you can help with that I would be grateful !
Cheers
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Gilly wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:26 am ATM withdrawal 1000$US from ABA ATM costs me 9$ = 0.9% commission (no withdraw fee with revolut premium)
isn't revolut no withdrawal fee up to 400 per month with platinum? 2% after that

& Cambodia is not on the list to send money to

Edit: it think revolut is a great card to have, along with all of those types of cards (Monzo, Starling, N26 etc). But better for travelling & not living.

Also, if travelling it makes sense to have multiple to avoid the % that kicks in, and they're all free (revolut standard). Starling by far the best though

Starling (£300 a day)
Monzo (£200 a month)
Revolut (£200 a month)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

We use Revolut while buzzing around Europe. It works well for us, but I've not used it in Cambodia yet. However, a few times now in the last two months, they've had problems with their systems which have left us relying on our regular bank cards.

Getting back to transfers-

The 2 Cambodian receiving banks that we have accounts with are ABA and Sacombank.
Complications that exist is how banks route money to between countries, enroute to Cambodia. Standard chartered being one intermediate bank. Charges of course occur at each stage.
Sending money from a UK bank to my Cambodian bank, I use 2 methods. Foreign exchange company called Foreign Currency Direct, and XE. There have been a few negative comments about the latter, but nothing substantive was then provided as corroboration.
I've used XE for quite a few transfers so far, and with no problems. In fact, they've been pretty damned quick.

To compare the 2 methods/companies, I'm simply interested in this-

Of the finds that I transfer out of my UK account, once the exchange rate is fixed and after all the fees, what % reaches the destination account. After that, the receiving fee at ABA has been a flat $10.

So far, for transfers of £1000-£2000, between leaving my UK account and arriving at ABA/Sacombank. Foreign Currency Direct- I receive about 96.1~96.2% of the original funds. XE, about 95.6%

For transfers around £2500, both methods achieve about 98.4%
For larger transfers still (£6-£7000), I've only used Foreign Currency direct, and received in excess of 99%

Smaller transfers, less than £700 really accentuates the losses, and I try to avoid those.
Theres not a lot of difference. XE is useful as it seems that it operates more on a 24hr basis, while the other company operates on regular business hours.

In the past, I've used WU a few times, but I'm not a big fan.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Gilly wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:26 am To sum up... From European bank account to Cambodia
RIA 1000$US from Europe to ABA costs 25$ = 2.5% commission
ATM withdrawal 1000$US from ABA ATM costs me 9$ = 0.9% commission (no withdraw fee with revolut premium)
Western Union 1000$ transfered through bank account and cash in WU costs 13$ = 1.3% commission
What about exchange rate comparison to be totalled into the exchange. I get a lousy exchange rate if I send bank to bank by swift. I probably save around $45 on $1000 . Just drawing from an ATM in Cambodia, Thailand or Philippines costs me even more!. Check out TOR (UK) Remitly, World Remittance, Transferwise and see what say $1000 will exchange to. Weigh up this with commission, set fees and receiving bank or Wing charges for example . Also to look into if payments go through an intermediary bank which can typically take around $35 from total.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

When I transferred $10k Australia dollars to USD into Canada bank I lost $10 bank receiving fee and $10 intermediary bank total $20 USD took about 4 days.
Using worldfirst and they give a high exchange rate
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

atst wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:03 am When I transferred $10k Australia dollars to USD into Canada bank I lost $10 bank receiving fee and $10 intermediary bank total $20 USD took about 4 days.
Using worldfirst and they give a high exchange rate
Following atst's post above I transferred $A4k to USD to my Acleda bank account using WorldFirst and I incurred a total fee of $US15 (no split of intermediary/receiving fee). I found the forex rate was within a few dollars of Transferwise after taking into account Transferwise fees. Furthermore, I processed the transfer at 8am PP time and it was in my Acleda account at 3.45pm the next day (they specify up to 4 days)!

I had previously looked into Transferwise and Audsmart here: post435157.html#p435157 but I now find that Worldfirst works out better given the lower intermediary/receiving fees so thanks for heads up @atst.

For those with ABA accounts, atst mentioned last year he used Worldfirst>ABA and incurred intermediary of $25 and receiving of $10. So worse than sending to Canadia (as per above) $10 and $10 and Acleda $15 total. And I did a transfer earlier this year Transferwise>ABA and incurred $55 intermediary and $10 receiving fees.

NB this applies for bank transfers Australia>Cambodia. Cannot speak for other country transfers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic