Europe relapsing back into a Covd-19 nightmare?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Europe relapsing back into a Covd-19 nightmare?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm But my question still stands, measured infections are on the rise, at least in the Netherlands, and hospitalizations don't follow the trend. So why all the measures then?

I understand nobody in government wants to get the blame for deaths,...
I think you answered your own question right there.. No of tests, no of cases et al are all rubbery figures in my book...what really matters are numbers of deaths. The US has had approx. 189,000 deaths and averaging 1000 per day for some months. Come down a bit in the last week but going into the winter.. Maybe Holland has managed better in this regard. India has big problems. 2nd wave in Spain/France.
Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm Some people specializing in health state more lives are lost by the measures than are saved,..
Source? I've read about higher instances of mental health issues, domestic violence et al but is this claim correct statistically? What about the lives saved by the lack of road traffic accidents due to the restrictions?
Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm and economies are drowning. State debts have exploded..
Sure, no doubt about that...but there's this MMT (Modern Monetary Theory) aka fiat money, money printing that governments are using which they will presumably eventually inflate away in the future.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

i understand the 'infections per capita' have not increased dramatically
the absolute increase in confirmed infections is mainly due to increased testing, focused on outbreak hotspots
which is how things should have been managed from the start

monstra mihi bona!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm
xandreu wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:15 pm When this all started, most people in most countries were quite happy to follow the instructions and abide by the restrictions such as lock-down given by their respective governments. Everyone was scared. Nobody knew how this was going to play out. People were genuinely frightened and there was some acceptance that governments didn't quite know what they were doing. It made sense to most people that we shut ourselves away until those in charge had enough data to start making more informed decisions.

We're now eight months or so down the line and a lot has changed. Many of those who had accepted that catching the virus was inevitable have found that it wasn't quite as inevitable as they first thought. While it remains a highly contagious disease, the fact is that the majority have still not become infected. And the overwhelming majority of those who have been infected, have come off largely unscathed. This has, understandably, led many to relax their guard and in most cases, not only ignore the instructions and restrictions put in place, but to view them with a large dose of contempt.

The fact that there have been so many mixed, confusing and difficult to understand messages from governments has not helped at all. When I say 'difficult to understand', I don't mean the instructions are difficult to understand, I mean the logic behind them has been so contradictory, people have lost all faith in what they're being told.

The problem governments will have now, as the northern hemisphere enters autumn and winter, and cases are already on the rise, is that the obedience they once enjoyed just a few short months ago will be in short supply. Just when they need it the most.

The question is, what happens then? The UK issued new restrictions just yesterday, which gives the police special powers to break up any groups of more than six people, and fine individuals up to £3,200 for breaking the new rules. They also have plans to introduce 'Covid Wardens' - essentially, power-hungry busybodies who have the potential to create a lot of animosity with their new-found powers. We are already seeing videos online of things like a man innocently sitting on a train, being set-upon by an over-zealous 'special constable' for not wearing a mask. Scenes you'd expect to see in mush less democratic countries than the UK.

So what happens when people refuse to abide by the new laws en mass? How far are governments willing to go to enforce new restrictions? How far down the authoritarian rabbit-hole are democratically elected governments prepared to push it?

It'll be an interesting winter...
Yes, it will be an interesting winter.

But my question still stands, measured infections are on the rise, at least in the Netherlands, and hospitalizations don't follow the trend. So why all the measures then?

I understand nobody in government wants to get the blame for deaths, but the path chosen now receives a lot of critisism too. Some people specializing in health state more lives are lost by the measures than are saved, and economies are drowning. State debts have exploded. I'm no expert, but I see 'infections' explode, while hospitalizations don't seem to follow trend.

Just look at the graphs I posted. Source: Dutch government.

So I'm confused, and I have been for 2-3 months now. Being infected doesn't seem to imply a (major) health problem anymore. And wasn't it all about "flattening the curve"? The curve has been flat for months, yet still....
The UK government did address this apparent contradiction in yesterday's briefing. The official line being (up to you what you believe, don't shoot the messenger) that those pushing the infection rates up are overwhelming in the 17-29 year old range, the age which the virus has least impact. The majority of those in the vulnerable age ranges are still following the social distancing and other rules. Hence the massive rise in cases but fewer hospitalisations.

But the message from the scientists seems to be that it's nothing to do with the virus somehow mutating into a less lethal form. It simply hasn't had time for that to happen. If it did, it would be the fastest mutation of a virus ever known.

The official line does tend to make sense to me, but I'm no expert.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:37 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm But my question still stands, measured infections are on the rise, at least in the Netherlands, and hospitalizations don't follow the trend. So why all the measures then?

I understand nobody in government wants to get the blame for deaths,...
I think you answered your own question right there.. No of tests, no of cases et al are all rubbery figures in my book...what really matters are numbers of deaths. The US has had approx. 189,000 deaths and averaging 1000 per day for some months. Come down a bit in the last week but going into the winter.. Maybe Holland has managed better in this regard. India has big problems. 2nd wave in Spain/France.
Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm Some people specializing in health state more lives are lost by the measures than are saved,..
Source? I've read about higher instances of mental health issues, domestic violence et al but is this claim correct statistically? What about the lives saved by the lack of road traffic accidents due to the restrictions?
Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm and economies are drowning. State debts have exploded..
Sure, no doubt about that...but there's this MMT (Modern Monetary Theory) aka fiat money, money printing that governments are using which they will presumably eventually inflate away in the future.
In the Netherlands in Q2 2020 over 5000 cases of cancer were not detected compared to Q2 of 2019. Cardiologists and neurologists noticed less heart attacks and strokes in their hospitals. Of course there were not fewer cases, but people either avoided the hospital or services had been suspended because of the full focus on CoVid.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kammekor wrote:Any backup for that claim?
Absolutely. Northern Italy being poster child number one. Hordes of infected arrived and spread it exponentially, overwhelming the system.

According to the CDC, the infectious period is about 10 days or so.

However, tests will remain positive - ie, the person is still infected for weeks to months.

At the beginning there was no information, no one, other than the PRC had any idea. Now the world has a lot more information.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm
xandreu wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:15 pm When this all started, most people in most countries were quite happy to follow the instructions and abide by the restrictions such as lock-down given by their respective governments. Everyone was scared. Nobody knew how this was going to play out. People were genuinely frightened and there was some acceptance that governments didn't quite know what they were doing. It made sense to most people that we shut ourselves away until those in charge had enough data to start making more informed decisions.

We're now eight months or so down the line and a lot has changed. Many of those who had accepted that catching the virus was inevitable have found that it wasn't quite as inevitable as they first thought. While it remains a highly contagious disease, the fact is that the majority have still not become infected. And the overwhelming majority of those who have been infected, have come off largely unscathed. This has, understandably, led many to relax their guard and in most cases, not only ignore the instructions and restrictions put in place, but to view them with a large dose of contempt.

The fact that there have been so many mixed, confusing and difficult to understand messages from governments has not helped at all. When I say 'difficult to understand', I don't mean the instructions are difficult to understand, I mean the logic behind them has been so contradictory, people have lost all faith in what they're being told.

The problem governments will have now, as the northern hemisphere enters autumn and winter, and cases are already on the rise, is that the obedience they once enjoyed just a few short months ago will be in short supply. Just when they need it the most.

The question is, what happens then? The UK issued new restrictions just yesterday, which gives the police special powers to break up any groups of more than six people, and fine individuals up to £3,200 for breaking the new rules. They also have plans to introduce 'Covid Wardens' - essentially, power-hungry busybodies who have the potential to create a lot of animosity with their new-found powers. We are already seeing videos online of things like a man innocently sitting on a train, being set-upon by an over-zealous 'special constable' for not wearing a mask. Scenes you'd expect to see in mush less democratic countries than the UK.

So what happens when people refuse to abide by the new laws en mass? How far are governments willing to go to enforce new restrictions? How far down the authoritarian rabbit-hole are democratically elected governments prepared to push it?

It'll be an interesting winter...
Yes, it will be an interesting winter.

But my question still stands, measured infections are on the rise, at least in the Netherlands, and hospitalizations don't follow the trend. So why all the measures then?

I understand nobody in government wants to get the blame for deaths, but the path chosen now receives a lot of critisism too. Some people specializing in health state more lives are lost by the measures than are saved, and economies are drowning. State debts have exploded. I'm no expert, but I see 'infections' explode, while hospitalizations don't seem to follow trend.

Just look at the graphs I posted. Source: Dutch government.

So I'm confused, and I have been for 2-3 months now. Being infected doesn't seem to imply a (major) health problem anymore. And wasn't it all about "flattening the curve"? The curve has been flat for months, yet still....
I think it might show that the true infection rate back in March was way above anything known, or they even dared to be contemplated, by European governments. They were all leading us while blind. To a large extent they still are and if new infection rates reach the March levels and hospitalisation rates are still under 10% of what they were, we might start getting an idea of the true level of infection back in March.

My post was not supposed to be alarmist. It was just to bring to light the clear trend in Europe. The fact that hospitalisation rates are still so low is fantastic news and hopefully Europe can get through this winter without repeats of healthcare chaos earlier in the year.

I agree with much of what xandreu has said; fear and compliance has been replaced by confidence and resistance. We have seen too much government floundering and flip-flopping and the huge costs of lockdowns are now clear. I don't think the British people will wear it again and I also think the government know this. It is a case of managing this thing as best we can without destroying the economy. People are aware of Sweden and more people are pointing to that being the model to follow.
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

Thank you for starting this Post DOC67
Its interesting the point of view of others,,, Im going in the way its all about the money now and the vaccine company..

Do others notice WHO have backed off a bit and other independent agencies seem to have more data because of the longevity of covid
We should be asking also WHO IS WHO I think...

Lets also look how the world has changed before the Virus.. When most of the men and women on this site one of the things we learned
when children was discipline-Respect- and most of all listen.. I think and its not 100% bad the generations after us. are to independent
and have less respect for them selves and others ...
Just my two cents
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

American accused of ignoring Covid-19 quarantine to go on Bavaria bar crawl
Woman who works in US army hotel was told to quarantine after showing symptoms

Kate Connolly in Berlin
Mon 14 Sep 2020 14.41 BST
Last modified on Mon 14 Sep 2020 15.39 BST

An American woman has been accused of spreading coronavirus around a Bavarian town by allegedly drinking in pubs and bars despite being told to quarantine after showing coronavirus symptoms.

The woman, who works at a hotel resort for US forces stationed in Germany and has not been identified, returned from a holiday in Greece at the end of August.

According to local authorities in the town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, she was tested on 8 September after displaying Covid-19 symptoms. They say she ignored instructions to quarantine until her results were available and went out that evening. The next morning she received a positive test.

At least 22 US citizens based at the hotel have become infected and the hotel itself, which hosted a conference last week on how to prevent the virus spreading in the US army, has been closed for two weeks.

“I am angered about this young woman,” said district councillor Anton Speer. “Despite having symptoms and the order to quarantine, she plunged herself into the nightlife. She has infected at least 22 Americans. It will be a Herculean task to get hold of all the contact persons and inform them.”

Bavaria’s interior minister, Joachim Herrmann, said there would be legal consequences for the 26-year-old if it was clear that she had ignored orders to quarantine.

“If it is confirmed that the woman despite having clear coronavirus symptoms, refused to go into quarantine, she will face a hefty fine,” Herrmann said. “Such recklessness should be clearly admonished.”

It is not clear if the woman became infected in Greece or Garmisch-Partenkirchen, where she lives. People between the ages of 18 and 35 in the market town at the foot of Germany’s tallest mountain, the Zugspitze, have been requested to take a coronavirus test and by Sunday 700 had done so.

“She had symptoms and was tested and ordered to stay in quarantine, but she failed to do so,” said a spokesman for the town.

Local media reported that among the bars she had visited were an Irish pub and a cocktail bar where a karaoke party was taking place.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -bar-crawl
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The UK is now on the verge of more lockdowns, on a gradient scale. Something about tier 1,2 or 3 and rules of six, no more than 16, take way the first numbers of your postcode, add 32... something like that. Nobody really understands.

The scientists have advised for a 'circuit breaker' full lockdown 3 weeks ago in documents just released, but the government isn't buying it. I think Boris has figured out that these guys can't agree amongst themselves, everyone knows that now and he can't simply blame them from now on. He's on his own from now on.

I think he is going the Swedish way, without ever mentioning them by name, even though their model is now widely being touted on the radio on the radio. It is no longer being dismissed as some quasi conspiracy theory or crank idea as it was a few months ago.

The UK also has to deal with the devolution of powers among the regions, health being one of the devolved powers. I don't suppose anyone thought of pandemics when that was agreed! Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all doing things their own way. Metropolitan Mayors have never had so much publicity. This is all good - they now their own locality. I hope the government doesn't let them play the blame game later if it all goes wrong.

Labour have finally broken ranks after months of support and said they would have gone for a full national lockdown 3 weeks ago, as the scientists recommended. Both sides have now placed their bets.

So,@ Truffledog, @ghostwriter, @Kammekor and anyone else with a dog in the fight, now the second wave is well and truly underway, what's happening in your country?.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic