Cambodia invented Zero - 683 AD

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia invented Zero - 683 AD

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

newkidontheblock wrote:It’s not just who invented it. It’s who actually spread the knowledge to the rest of the world. Without the Arabic system 1,2,3 etc., combined with zero, western physics, mathematics, geometry, and so on would be impossible.
Not really. The Romans built with amazing precision and the Greeks are still amazing for their use of geometry/mathematics. Eratosthenes famously accurately determined the circumference of the earth to give one example of many.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Double post.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Not really. The Romans built with amazing precision and the Greeks are still amazing for their use of geometry/mathematics. Eratosthenes famously accurately determined the circumference of the earth to give one example of many.
I completely agree. The Romans did not use the Arabic numbering system that western math is based on. They used an abacus system for counting and calculations.

And the Egyptians built their pyramids based on divisions of pi. Primarily because they used a rolling wheel to determine distances. Unfortunately the theoretical knowledge of the earth’s circumference had no practical application until the advent of the sextant and the first accurate ship’s clock, forerunner of the GPS system.

History is always interesting.
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:56 am It’s not just who invented it. It’s who actually spread the knowledge to the rest of the world. Without the Arabic system 1,2,3 etc., combined with zero, western physics, mathematics, geometry, and so on would be impossible.

Also the time period. Lots of discoveries happened that were useless at the time. Antiquity discovered the steam ball, a child’s toy, the Victorians discovered the light cascading down fountains, a parlor trick, etc. Became only useful with the steam engine, and fiber optics.

The Vikings may have discovered America first, or Imperial China. But it was Christopher Columbus who introduced the New World and kicked off the age of discovery and colonization.
You provide a lot of interesting info. I disagree on the spread of the 0 though. I think different civilisations would easily have developed this independently. It's not THAT hard an invention, particularly if you're actively thinking of ways to make counting more efficient. I think any human civilisation who had the need to count effectively would have come up with the "Arabic system" before long. Just my view.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:15 am the Greeks are still amazing for their use of geometry/mathematics.
Interestingly, the Greeks did not understand the laws of probability. That (and modern statistics) came much, much later.

The history of math is quite interesting (to me, anyway).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic