Khmer Traditional Medicine Does Not Cure Chikungunya

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Khmer Traditional Medicine Does Not Cure Chikungunya

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

October 8, 2020
Health ministry rubbishes claims of traditional Chikungunya cures
The Ministry of Health yesterday issued a report denying claims on social media regarding the use of traditional Khmer medicine to prevent the chikungunya outbreak or treat the infection.

Or Vandine, spokeswoman for the Health Ministry said people should dismiss false information that traditional Khmer medicine can cure the chikungunya infection.

For example, one of the false natural treatments posted on Facebook is to drink Khmer natural ingredients including the mixture of banana, green herbs and coconut juice.

“The Ministry of Health would like to completely reject such a spread of information and also urges the competent authorities to take legal action on the matter,” she said.

The ministry was referring to two posts on Facebook made on Tuesday by separate accounts. The posts were also shared widely on the platform.

The Facebook accounts were named as Sen Sayana and Spai Kdaob and the posts have since been taken down in an effort to prevent legal action.

Vandine also appealed to all citizens to be more cautious about information without a credible source and advised people with symptoms of the disease to seek immediate treatment at the nearest public hospital.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50771016/h ... nya-cures/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Khmer Traditional Medicine Does Not Cure Chikungunya

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Nor should it.

Chikungunya originates in Africa and only came to Cambodia circa 4 or 5 years ago.
Now it is widespread throughout many Cambodian provinces.

So nothing "Traditional" about this.

And, besides, there is NO cure for Chickungunya Fever.
The only good thing about Chikungunya Fever is once you have survived it you are immune to future attacks/bouts of it, unlike it's close relative Dengue Fever which can be caught many times and with increasing severity. Both are very nasty and best avoided by good anti-malarial/mosquito practices and awareness etc.

OML
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Well, the best thing you can do is to stay as hydrated as possible. So drinking almost anything outside of alcohol helps. Thus the "traditional" cure isn't a cure but it won't hurt - especially if combined with lots of water. For many people a solid day of intravenous fluids also seems to speed up the recovery.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

TWY wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:03 pm Thus the "traditional" cure isn't a cure but it won't hurt - especially if combined with lots of water.
For all we know the traditional cure could involve not drinking any water. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anyone know how to know the difference between dengue and chikungunya ? I had what I thought was dengue - fever , rash, and sore body all over, but never got tested. I assumed it was dengue, but I guess I need a blood test to confirm that ?
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Yes, blood test. And chikungunya won't show as positive until about 7 days after infection. I believe they test for the antibodies and those won't form for several days until after infection (if I understood what the doctor said).

The major difference in terms of symptoms seem to be that chikungunya results in a lot of feeling of "itching" and more severe joint pain in some patients.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

TWY wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:32 pm Yes, blood test. And chikungunya won't show as positive until about 7 days after infection. I believe they test for the antibodies and those won't form for several days until after infection (if I understood what the doctor said).

The major difference in terms of symptoms seem to be that chikungunya results in a lot of feeling of "itching" and more severe joint pain in some patients.
Thanks. I still have joint pain, so will get tested. :thumb:

When I look at symptoms here, it seems more likely that I had chikungunya, but at the time there was no chik outbreak where I was living, so I assumed it was dengue.https://www.medlife.com/blog/7-differen ... revention/
Since then, there have been a lot of cases of chikungunya reported by expats in Kep and Kampot.

I'll let you know. :beer:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic