Rumour Cambodia will get rid of 1 and 5 dollar notes?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Rumour Cambodia will get rid of 1 and 5 dollar notes?

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:06 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:17 pm I'm getting a bit tired of all these 100 riel notes I'm getting in change now...
Me too. I just don't know where they come from. They just kind of build up in your wallet and before you know it you've got 20 of them. Trying to spend them is often greeted with wide eyes and a look of disbelief. What do other people do with them? I can't be the only one to offload a wad of them from time to time.
Coming from a country that uses coins up to the value of £2, or $2.60 or 10,600 riel, just be happy you get nice clean notes that weigh nothing and can be stored easily at home until you have a half inch wad, at which point you buy something like a tuk ride.

Try having a kilo of coins at home after a weekend on the sauce, and then have to sort them out and then look like you're scraping the barrel when you walk in the pub with £30 in coins on Monday evening.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:24 am https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50770277/n ... knote-fee/

NBC still accepting 1s and 5s with no charge. But banks replacing them with riel in their ATMs. Tthey're replacing the 10s with riel also.
How can they exchange a $10 bill for a 50,000 riel note?

Are we going to start getting a mix of riel and USD from the ATM?
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Something to watch out for. Since this new rule/law? came into play in two unnamed marts, 2-3 times now I've been short changed after giving the cashier $10 or $20 , and what I get back is nowhere near what it should be. Whether it's a scam so they can pocket the extra riel when the stupid foreigner doesn't notice or just a simple miscount I'm not sure.

On a side note, obviously after the short change experiences I count the change and it's a pain having to do mental arithmetic on the spot in the middle of the shop. If you pay $10 for example, and you've spent $7.28, for a dollar you have to multiply the 1000 riels in your change by 4. so you count out 8000 and then have to try figure out how much 0.72 is (2800? ish) to check it. I imagine when you've used the currency a lot, you become very used it and it becomes second nature but to make it even more difficult the prices around the marts are all still listed up in dollars/cents! So if you actually want to pay by riel you have to do the opposite equation for every item you buy and if you go in to the shop on a budget you have to do the math as you go to see if you can even afford the stuff you're buying, ridiculous really.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:42 am Something to watch out for. Since this new rule/law? came into play in two unnamed marts, 2-3 times now I've been short changed after giving the cashier $10 or $20 , and what I get back is nowhere near what it should be. Whether it's a scam so they can pocket the extra riel when the stupid foreigner doesn't notice or just a simple miscount I'm not sure.

On a side note, obviously after the short change experiences I count the change and it's a pain having to do mental arithmetic on the spot in the middle of the shop. If you pay $10 for example, and you've spent $7.28, for a dollar you have to multiply the 1000 riels in your change by 4. so you count out 8000 and then have to try figure out how much 0.72 is (2800? ish) to check it. I imagine when you've used the currency a lot, you become very used it and it becomes second nature but to make it even more difficult the prices around the marts are all still listed up in dollars/cents! So if you actually want to pay by riel you have to do the opposite equation for every item you buy and if you go in to the shop on a budget you have to do the math as you go to see if you can even afford the stuff you're buying, ridiculous really.
Yes, your totally ridiculous. Have you tried handing over the right amount of cash so you don't receive back any change.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Yes, your totally ridiculous. Have you tried handing over the right amount of cash so you don't receive back any change.
[/quote]

That would be the way to go if you are paying in u.s.
.... if you give them a 10$ for anything like 7.28 , give them the $10 and 2000 reil and make them give you back $3.00 and whatever 100’s of budda or begged money

For me the choice is simple , everyplace i go takes the ABA , all i need cash for is air in my tires or tips for any cute waitress ‘es 😉
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Cam.O'Dear wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:30 am Yes, your totally ridiculous. Have you tried handing over the right amount of cash so you don't receive back any change.
Clearly I didn't have change on me did I. :roll: That makes me totally ridiculous?
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Might be helpful for you to carry a little note in your wallet/purse.

1c = 40
2c = 80
5c = 200
10c = 400
20c = 800
25c = 1000
50c = 2000

It will give you a quick reminder and make things a little easier.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

hburns wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:36 pm Might be helpful for you to carry a little note in your wallet/purse.

1c = 40
2c = 80
5c = 200
10c = 400
20c = 800
25c = 1000
50c = 2000

Your joking I hope
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

atst wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 pm
hburns wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:36 pm Might be helpful for you to carry a little note in your wallet/purse.

1c = 40
2c = 80
5c = 200
10c = 400
20c = 800
25c = 1000
50c = 2000

Your joking I hope
Well I was going to suggest a list from 1c to 99c but I thought that might be taken as me being facetious. It was meant as genuine help for the poster commenting about having difficulties calculating the correct change.

Its right to offer help if someone is struggling with something right? Or is if better to mock them so they never ask for help again?
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

How many times when my bill (check bill) is $9.25 and I give them a $10 bill and a 2000 riel note and I got that Cambodian blank stare at least a hundred times. What should they do? Maybe give me $1.00 back (maybe irrelevant now if $1 and $5 go away)? But my point is that blaming your incorrect change on dishonesty should most of the time be but to poor math skills.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic