Corona in Temple Town?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Corona in Temple Town?

Post by hanno »

I had heard some noise about a Barang that skipped self quarantaine to go party around Temple Town and subsequently tested positive. If true: what a cnut!

From one of the expat groups:
Administrator I have no first hand knowledge here. I am not personally involved with any of this. I may anger some people here but I do think this is extremely urgent. Time is everything.
Virus alert! Time to panic! Evidently the barang in the picture, named Martin Phéline, has the Covid19 virus and has been in SR in recent days. He is now in quarantine. This news appeared on FB today. I asked for a name and picture. The person who posted it didn't know but mentioned that he had attended a popular pool party at ......
I know some people associated with that party and I contacted them. They knew all about him, gave me his name. "Oh yes, we're all getting tested tomorrow." So they're taking it seriously enough.
What about all the people Martin has met in SR? He's been in Cambodia since Sept 20. Do they even know about him? Are they getting tested tomorrow? Why aren't you telling everybody in SR on social media? This is serious stuff.
We're waiting for the test.
Why?
I could only conclude they're worried about their mage or something. Meanwhile, far as I know, they're out and about as if there's nothing going on.
And what's the plan if you test positive?
First you'd have to go into quarantine. Next retrace your steps tonight and contact everyone you were near and explain to them that you had a test yesterday and turns out you're positive. Sorry I didn't mention it last night. And advise them that they need to be checked out. (Of course they may have unknowingly infected 15 people since themselves).
That's how an epidemic works.
YOU DON"T KEEP IT A SECRET!!
Its spreading every minute or not at all. We should know which.
If you think you've been exposed isolate and test. Keep it between the two of you.
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Re: Corona in Temple Town?

Post by Bibi »

The story is true and making a big (angry) noise in the French community in Cambodia. This guy Martin has been in every possible bar and restaurant in Siem-Reap during his quarantine, and then tested positive on his 13th day Covid test. He has met a bunch of people including teachers from the Siem-Reap French school, creating a panic there when parents realised that at least one teacher was a close contact to him.
Bibi
Expatriate
Greece

Post by Bibi »

This Martin Phéline is working at the Galerie Batia Sarem in Siem-Reap, if you have been in contact with him recently you should be extra-cautious and probably ask for a Covid test.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bibi wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:54 am The story is true and making a big (angry) noise in the French community in Cambodia. This guy Martin has been in every possible bar and restaurant in Siem-Reap during his quarantine, and then tested positive on his 13th day Covid test. He has met a bunch of people including teachers from the Siem-Reap French school, creating a panic there when parents realised that at least one teacher was a close contact to him.
Yes, quite a shit storm. The usual "Covid is just a harmless flu and will go away by April" folks versus folks like me that are concerned about their families.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

It looks quite like somebody had a "the sky is falling" moment.

Guy tested negative in France, negative here, had his second test on day 13 positive, returned to quarantine and has since tested negative.

likely to be a false positive. Even if not, nothing worth panic.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:19 am It looks quite like somebody had a "the sky is falling" moment.

Guy tested negative in France, negative here, had his second test on day 13 positive, returned to quarantine and has since tested negative.

Nobody is talking about panic here, but the guy hit every venue in town whilst he was supposed to self-quarantine. Highly irresponsible and makes you wonder how well this self-quarantines are administered and controlled. When I had to self-quarantine here in Vietnam, people actually came around and checked that I did not leave.

Fine for people who think Covid is all a big hoax. I do not and, along with others, am worried about our families.
Last edited by hanno on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

hanno wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:31 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:19 am It looks quite like somebody had a "the sky is falling" moment.

Fine for people who thing Covid is all a big hoax. I do not and, along with others, am worried about families.
I don't think Covid is a hoax.

Simultaneously, the occasional case also is of no concern to my family or myself as it is quite evident that it is nowhere near as serious as English language media would have us believe.

Wash hands, don't lick any French, and all shall be fine...
mehfisto
BANNED
Australia

Post by mehfisto »

" Simultaneously, the occasional case also is of no concern to my family or myself as it is quite evident that it is nowhere near as serious as English language media would have us believe."

Over a million dead people say you're wrong.

And the many others who survived with nasty long-term effects.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Exactly that kind of reckless behavior is the reason why some countries don't trust people to self isolate at home instead of locking them up at quarantine facilities. There are always some, obviously.

What's the punishment for this in Cambodia?
mehfisto
BANNED
Australia

Post by mehfisto »

Alex wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:39 pmWhat's the punishment for this in Cambodia?
I think I saw some Khmers were asked to sign an agreement not to do it again.

They should fine expats or lock them up. I have no time for these kind of people, totally disrespectful to the host country and very damaging to expat-Khmer relations.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic