Best Sausage in Phnom Penh

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Best Sausage in Phnom Penh

Post by Doc67 »

Inspired by the recent thread about sausages, I was wondering what where the options for good sausages in Phnom Penh.

I recently went to Supermeats on a Saturday when they have the BBQ going and had a sausage in a roll. Very nice it was and I bought a couple of frozen ones to take home. They were called "Spek" and were not cheap at $3.50 for two. But they cooked well and were pretty tasty.

Molly Malones had good sausages once upon a time but I can't say I have come across anything that impressed me anywhere else and most have been pretty desperate.

So, Sausage Lovers, where do you get yours?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Best Sausage in Phnom Penh

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've gotten my best sausages in petrol station bathrooms, but that's a story for another time.

Dan's Meat and Smokey Da Boat are usually good as well.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Strokesys have a good selection of decent sausages at decent prices.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:27 am I've gotten my best sausages in petrol station bathrooms, but that's a story for another time.

Danmeat... have they moved? Google maps are now showing them on street 432 right down in Russian market territory
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:57 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:27 am I've gotten my best sausages in petrol station bathrooms, but that's a story for another time.

Danmeat... have they moved? Google maps are now showing them on street 432 right down in Russian market territory
Yes, they moved.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:57 am

Dan's meat also has a shop at Borey Peng Huoth, I tend to go here, being more convenient and less busy. Also at times go to Strokesys Meat. I used to shop mostley at the The Meat Shop him being a British butcher, sausages were good, but he moved home selling 80% of the buisness to a young Khmer, he also worked for Cambodian landmines. Sadly he closed up the shop.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

There's always the DIY option.

We have an electric meat grinder similar to the one below. They are all basically the same and have interchangeable plates at the front that can be swapped out (with the cutting blade) for a sausage attachment.

The sausage attachments (see below) ours came with are in 3 sizes but we have never used them. The main reason why is because we didn't look into the skins. They must be available to buy here as we see ocally made black pudding type sausages in the markets. But we never bothered looking into it so it sits there just grinding beef and pork.

Edited to add this great article that explains How to make homemade sausages
Last edited by IraHayes on Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re:

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:33 pm I used to shop mostley at the The Meat Shop him being a British butcher, sausages were good, but he moved home...
Not sure about that - he was never a butcher, he's more of an IT guy and he's still in Cambodia.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Brody wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:02 pm Image
Good grief! and they no doubt taste even worse than they look.
The producers of such monstrosities should be put to death.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic