Can most/all Cambodians read a clock a.k.a tell time?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Can most/all Cambodians read a clock a.k.a tell time?

Post by explorer »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:32 pm
explorer wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:09 pm One of the big problems in Cambodia is that many people don't care. You can even explain to them how things can be better. They don't care, and see no reason to do things better.
And you have all the answers right? So here we go again with you disparaging khmers coz they are small brains that don't know better right?

Sort of like today when you were telling CEO mods how to do their jobs on another thread coz you know better? Yet, we have to put up with your endless banal posts..

Must be hard for you to live in Cambodia when you see all this inadequacy amongst khmers..
If you disagree with what I said in the other post, why don't you respond to the other post? If you don't want feedback, why don't you say you don't want feedback?

As for Cambodians caring, let's take for example, the lack of obeying road rules and the large number of people killed. Do you think anything you say will result in them caring enough to obey the road rules and drive more safely? Or do you think the way they drive is OK?

You will get more respect if you are honest, and don't misconstrue what I said.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:47 am
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:32 pm
explorer wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:09 pm One of the big problems in Cambodia is that many people don't care. You can even explain to them how things can be better. They don't care, and see no reason to do things better.
And you have all the answers right? So here we go again with you disparaging khmers coz they are small brains that don't know better right?

Sort of like today when you were telling CEO mods how to do their jobs on another thread coz you know better? Yet, we have to put up with your endless banal posts..

Must be hard for you to live in Cambodia when you see all this inadequacy amongst khmers..
If you disagree with what I said in the other post, why don't you respond to the other post? If you don't want feedback, why don't you say you don't want feedback?

As for Cambodians caring, let's take for example, the lack of obeying road rules and the large number of people killed. Do you think anything you say will result in them caring enough to obey the road rules and drive more safely? Or do you think the way they drive is OK?

You will get more respect if you are honest, and don't misconstrue what I said.
It's clear to me you're just being argumentative now.

Months ago you were warned not to continually disparage khmers and use language references like 'small brains' yet now you are still doing so and making references to 'intelligent people' implying the rest are not. We don't need that sort of comparative language on here. If you're not complaining about khmers not caring about the time of day, it's about not caring about road rules, not caring about burning plastic and so on and your post above generalises such that it conveys khmers don't really care about anything. Very insulting. In fact, I don't think you realise how insulting you come across with your posting style whether you're talking about khmers, other members, CEO and it's mods.

If you cannot see good in khmers and Cambodia that's up to you but when you continually come on CEO with negative connotations of khmers then you can expect that the mods will step in. Because many expats have made decisions to live here and see many benefits and sure, there are negatives also but on balance they consider the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Of course Cambodia is not like our western home countries and the standards are not the same but we don't need you to continually point those out and come up with western solutions.

I think for some time now you have been causing quite a bit of dissension in the CEO community whether that's other members or mods. And a number of members are tiring of many of your banal posts that state the obvious and nothing new. Again, the implication there is that the CEO community is generally not quite to your level of intellect to understand these things so you feel the need to spell it out for us. Well, sorry to say these banal posts are hardly a revelation that 'turns on the light bulb' for anyone and actually, serves to bore and worse, insult.

CEO obviously cannot be all things to all people and therefore understandable that some members may not be entirely happy with how it goes. As a mod I can say it's not an easy job to keep things on an even keel sometimes.

Anyway, I'm going to make the call that I think things have come to a point and the time has come where it's best that you have some time off. Hopefully you can rejoin the community later on.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

explorer wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:47 am As for Cambodians caring, let's take for example, the lack of obeying road rules and the large number of people killed. Do you think anything you say will result in them caring enough to obey the road rules and drive more safely? Or do you think the way they drive is OK?
I guess you haven't been in Cambodia for very long. I can actually remember a time when there were no traffic lights in Phnom Penh.
Then when they got the first traffic light, the motorists had to be educated to stop at the light. They had teenagers in their boy and girl scout uniforms with flags to tell the motorists to stop, and they would then educate them to actually stop behind that big white line.

There was also a time when there were no laws about motorcyclists wearing helmets. They had to be educated to do this. Nowadays, it is second nature for people to put the helmet on when they ride their moto.

There was a time when most motos didn't have mirrors, and those that did, the mirror was facing any whichway except where it should have been facing.

All of the above have been achieved with education campaigns and fines. Which proves that they can be educated to obey road rules.
Sure there are some who ride their moto without a helmet. Sure there are some motos with a mirror or two missing. And of course there are some cars and motos that go through red lights. But it's not the total anarchy that you seem to encounter each day.

But, even in your country, Australia, people run red lights, double park, exceed speed limits, and so on. :pardon:
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

When I ST a bargirl, she keeps looking at the clock.

So, yes.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:14 pm
explorer wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:47 am As for Cambodians caring, let's take for example, the lack of obeying road rules and the large number of people killed. Do you think anything you say will result in them caring enough to obey the road rules and drive more safely? Or do you think the way they drive is OK?
I guess you haven't been in Cambodia for very long. I can actually remember a time when there were no traffic lights in Phnom Penh.
Then when they got the first traffic light, the motorists had to be educated to stop at the light. They had teenagers in their boy and girl scout uniforms with flags to tell the motorists to stop, and they would then educate them to actually stop behind that big white line.

There was also a time when there were no laws about motorcyclists wearing helmets. They had to be educated to do this. Nowadays, it is second nature for people to put the helmet on when they ride their moto.

The was a time when most motos didn't have mirrors, and those that did, the mirror was facing any whichway except where it should have been facing.

All of the above have been achieved with education campaigns and fines. Which proves that they can be educated to obey road rules.
Sure there are some who ride their moto without a helmet. Sure there are some motos with a mirror or two missing. And of course there are some cars and motos that go through red lights. But it's not the total anarchy that you seem to encounter each day.

But, even in your country, Australia, people run red lights, double park, exceed speed limits, and so on. :pardon:
when the new road laws came in it was strange seeing so many motorists with helmets, wing mirrors and license plates on their bikes haha
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Maybe in countries where the sun rises and sets at the same hour (more or less), people can guess when it's time to work, lunch and stop working, approximately, since ages, and it does suffice to manage the day (in the fields more easily than an airport attendant for sure, but guess where the majority of people are ?).

That's the feeling i had in Indonesia, which sits on the equator (sunrise at 6, sunset at 6). "Jam karet" a.k.a "elastic time" is a thing there too, people are often late. But not that much for people with a tight schedule to enforce / respect. Factory people are on time to get in, and super on time to get out of it, as we all do in any country.

These things might be deeply part of the local physiology, bred by secular habits. Minutes might not be THAT important to an average countrymen. But they might well be very precise about other kind of stuff, like counting the eggs of the day, or the amount of seeds.

Just an hypothesis
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Wow, that's some censorship.

Quick shoot down the dissenters. Delete the comments challenging it.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:53 am Wow, that's some censorship.

Quick shoot down the dissenters. Delete the comments challenging it.
I've deleted one troll post and associated karma comment. If members want to challenge a mod call, they can take it up directly with the respective mod or the General.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

RandyN wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:44 am What about roman numerals, can they read those?
I'm hoping that the iPhone X taught them at least one of the Roman numerals, lol.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:12 am
RandyN wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:44 am What about roman numerals, can they read those?
I'm hoping that the iPhone X taught them at least one of the Roman numerals, lol.
Some westerners still don’t realise that is the IPhone 10. Honestly.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic