What's the going rate for a Painter

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

What's the going rate for a Painter

Post by atst »

I've got an apartment needing painting what's the going rate I should expect to pay
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What's the going rate for a Painter

Post by angkorjohn2 »

atst wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:10 pm I've got an apartment needing painting what's the going rate I should expect to pay
did you get an answer on this off anyone? I also was wondering the cost, it is a long time since I had some done and I think we were charged (as we had the paint) $3 p/sqm if i remember correctly. Anybody shed any light before I get haggling?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Price does not come into the equation if you want a propper paint job where everything is cleaned, sanded, primed and no paint splashed on places that don't need paint.
However if you need someone to cover the old paint with a broom and cheap paint, I guess any tuk-tuk driver will give you a price.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Duncan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:49 pm Price does not come into the equation if you want a propper paint job where everything is cleaned, sanded, primed and no paint splashed on places that don't need paint.
However if you need someone to cover the old paint with a broom and cheap paint, I guess any tuk-tuk driver will give you a price.
Duncan I like your way of thinking, also where would you find that tradesman around here. There obviously are some what you and I would call a good brush hand. But "Yes" you must be willing to pay, but that would be fare deal for quality work.
About 3 years ago a friend had a room of about 4x6 meter painted, it consisted of walls (dark colour) and ceiling (white). Price $175 including paint. The job was good with the paintwork, but a little messy here and there with paint splatter on the floor and some to parts that did not need paint. I was interested at the time also, and I didn't mind too much about a little cleaning up after they finished. So I asked my friend if the painters he used were available, he rang them but they were busy for sometime. It's also better if you can see prior work before employing them, or at least good recommendations. I was after the same size room doing, I ended up going to Dulux, they came round to look and measurer up the job, being very professional at this stage to be expected, I was shown colour charts and choice of paints. I was quoted $400. In the end I rejected the work and took it on myself, being that was my trade for over 30 years, but I am glad I had aircon.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Still no idea off cost for tradesmen if there's such a thing, but got couple touk touk driver's $20 for days painting , shit job paint everywhere needed to mop up everywhere they went , the stress and frustration was not worth it better to do it myself but there's the problem why do it yourself when you like to provide work for a local
After few years here I'm starting to feel fuck em I'll do it myself and save the stress which isn't a good thing.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Last paint job for a 1 bed apartment in SHV (earlier this year) was about $250 for the work and we paid for the paint. Just to give you some idea. It took 2-3 days and they cleaned up afterwards.
You can always find cheaper, but they did a good pro job, and we were living there while they worked. Great guys really. :beer3:

In another place we had painted, we spent 1 month scraping paint off the floors etc. :evil:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:31 pm Still no idea off cost for tradesmen if there's such a thing, but got couple touk touk driver's $20 for days painting , shit job paint everywhere needed to mop up everywhere they went , the stress and frustration was not worth it better to do it myself but there's the problem why do it yourself when you like to provide work for a local
After few years here I'm starting to feel fuck em I'll do it myself and save the stress which isn't a good thing.
I had mentioned a few posts back, you will get the ball rolling just by email.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Is there any painters that know what there trade is , painters with brushers rollers drip trays and drop sheets.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Most painters would be construction workers, that also do other construction jobs. Cambodian bosses pay those with just basic skills, $5 per day. Those with quite a good knowledge of their job might get up to $10 per day.

If you just employ individuals, there will be many who will tell you they are good at their job, but may not have the skills, may not care about doing a good job, and may have a lot of rest breaks.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

For stuff like this check out the app Mojob. I’ve had some small jobs done via them. They introduce you to the worker and you negotiate price with them
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic