NZ, Australia - into winter with Covid-19

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: NZ, Australia - into winter with Cv-19

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Oz and NZ played things right.

for comment...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"for comment..."

Ok, I'll bite.
Too soon. If the recent Victorian and New South Wales border closures are not to be taken as a joke then this is too soon. But, hey ho, who are we to argue with the govt?
Seems like it was only a few weeks ago that Sydney had lots of 'hotspots', but now it's safe to open up Sydney again. :facepalm:
Why Sydney anyway? What about Canberra? There hasn't been a new case in the A.C.T. since 10 July. If we truly valued our Kiwi cousins, we would send them to the safe haven of Canberra.
This whole debacle has been a total over-reaction from the beginning, but now it's all ok.
Call me cynical, but it just makes me wonder what this has all been about from day one.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Don't forget NZ once went 100 days without a locally transmitted Covid case. How easily it all unravels. I think any travel bubbles might be short lived.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:59 am "for comment..."

Ok, I'll bite.
Too soon. If the recent Victorian and New South Wales border closures are not to be taken as a joke then this is too soon. But, hey ho, who are we to argue with the govt?
Seems like it was only a few weeks ago that Sydney had lots of 'hotspots', but now it's safe to open up Sydney again. :facepalm:
Why Sydney anyway? What about Canberra? There hasn't been a new case in the A.C.T. since 10 July. If we truly valued our Kiwi cousins, we would send them to the safe haven of Canberra.
This whole debacle has been a total over-reaction from the beginning, but now it's all ok.
Call me cynical, but it just makes me wonder what this has all been about from day one.
Apparently they did offer a travel bubble with ACT but got no interest at all, the reaction being, "ok, but why?". Seems no-one wanted to go to Canberra except Aussie politicians, and they wouldnt if they had the choice.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:22 pm Don't forget NZ once went 100 days without a locally transmitted Covid case. How easily it all unravels. I think any travel bubbles might be short lived.
Yep, I can't see it working (under current policy) as hotspots flare up. And I personally wouldn't hang my hat on a vaccine either given 1. there might not be one 2. if there is one, the cut-off for approval is anything over 50% ie a 51% rating will get over the line to be used but the efficacy for people will still only be 51% and 3. some people won't take it on principle.

I've been wondering for some time now ever since World Health/CDC et al changed their tune about the effectiveness of masks. Remember earlier in the piece they were saying it wouldn't do much? The other week the Director of CDC said wearing of masks may provide more protection than a vaccine and the general narrative has changed.

Anyway, what if instead of the lockdowns and closure of borders, they had instituted a mask wearing campaign when going out and in high risk areas right from the onset? Personally, I would've thought a directive to wear masks would have been a small price to pay in exchange for no lock downs and open borders. And a whole less disruptive to business and people's lives. I've posted this before so apologies if boring but they knew what to do 100 years ago..

Of course some people would say that's invasion of personal freedom and may be difficult to enforce but surely isn't it the lesser of 2 evils? However, I fear it's maybe too late now as governments I think may have lost that initial impetus they had from the onset with the public.

Thoughts?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"Only four countries in the world experienced a less severe June quarter economic downturn than Australia's 7 per cent hit to GDP. (the first quarter was even better)

Australia outperformed Japan, the United States, Germany, the OECD average of 9.8 per cent, Canada, at 11.5 per cent and Italy with 12.4 per cent. The United Kingdom at over 20 per cent.
"We have performed better in the most difficult circumstances than all these other developed nations."

Financial Review ^^^

The lockdowns have generally been less severe than most developed countries - although less so in the "outbreak zones".
All outbreaks have been contained, and then virtually stamped out.
Infections and deaths have been extremely low.
"Collateral damage" deaths from other causes, due to overloaded hospitals and decimated health workers has not happened.
The citizenry has not fractured, the ideologues have not gained a toe hold. The big majority are on the same page.
The outlooks are improving by the day.

No, or very few, restrictions currently in place within all states except Victoria - which is heading that way soon.
Interstate borders are starting to open.

The one big bummer (especially for those stranded both in Oz and OS) is the closed/restricted international borders - but most people have realised that is not such a big deal after all.
- that also gives a much needed pause from over-immigration/population pressure in the big cities.

And a Bonus - Oz seems to have suddenly decided that their biggest trading partner is not their best friend after all..
No more bending over to economic blackmail, standover tactics and promises of "bright shining futures as buddy buddy brothers and sisters in the region". They have developed a real spine.
I think self sufficiency and manufacturing are going to get a big boost.
- I dont want to overstate this toooo much, but the attitude has definitely sharpened since covid-19

(ps, i am not a bloody Ostrayen even if i sometimes talk like one)
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:32 pmI'm thinking of buying a recumbent trike and spending the rest of the year engaged in a solo ride through the outback and across the nullabour for giggles when regional borders have opened. Winter camping in the bush with panniers full of food and spares sounds like a remedy.
Sounds like a remedy for most anything. It's been too long for me. I can't wait to get on a bike and just ride again. Hopefully I can get an extended trip together in a couple years. I'm thinking around South America would be amazing. But maybe Australia and NZ would be a great option. Have you ridden either much before? What's the best time of year? Recommended destinations?
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I can remember when we were advised masks don't help but once the medical staff were equipped with enough masks, we were advised to wear them, they didn't want the public to buy all the stocks of masks at the beginning, another example of things don't make sense.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Electric Earth wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:42 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:32 pmI'm thinking of buying a recumbent trike and spending the rest of the year engaged in a solo ride through the outback and across the nullabour for giggles when regional borders have opened. Winter camping in the bush with panniers full of food and spares sounds like a remedy.
Sounds like a remedy for most anything. It's been too long for me. I can't wait to get on a bike and just ride again. Hopefully I can get an extended trip together in a couple years. I'm thinking around South America would be amazing. But maybe Australia and NZ would be a great option. Have you ridden either much before? What's the best time of year? Recommended destinations?
I haven't ridden much at all, it's a bucket list kind of thing. Bit like when I paddled Australia's longest river - although never having used a kayak before, I bought one, camping gear and just did it. The trike journey is off for now. If you're looking for information about cycling tours, this is the best place to find info, in my experience. Some of the journals are good reading. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doctype=journal
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Electric Earth wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:42 pm
Australia is too dangerous to ride on the main roads. Traffic is much faster than Cambodia. If you do get hit, you are likely to be dead. Then, in many places there is nowhere to get off the side of the road when traffic is coming (it depends where you are). I would stick to cycling paths.

Kung-fu: There are some very long cycling trails going out of Perth, where you can go for days. There are even clubs that ride them. Maybe you could go with a club.

Electric: If you do go to Australia, I suggest only the eastern states. The southern states such as Victoria in summer. Further north, the time of the year is not so important.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic