Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Help Wanted: Prototyping a cheap ebike for the people

Post by beaker »

beaker wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:53 pm
offroadscholar wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 pm
beaker wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 pm
whatwat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am
beaker wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 am

Why would anyone want a 16" wheel ?
The biggest problem to overcome when selecting an ebike parts provider is getting a company that can and will ship the battery to Cambodia.
Beware many sell you a battery and kit only later to inform you that they can't ship the battery to Cambodia this has happened to me with several sellers.
There is only one company I have found they sell ebike kit and batteries my first batter had to be shipped to Vietnam then brought into the country by a very small courier company. The latest battery I got from them was sent by FedEX and the shipping was free.
There are also ebike parts suppliers in Thailand these days so when things open up again for travel one could go there to get a bike or parts and actually set eyes on the product you are buying. Thou flying back with a battery may be problematic some have said that putting them in carry on luggage was acceptable but not in luggage going into the planes hold. Returning by bus/taxi would be my choice to bring back the goods/ebike.
Sorry, they are 18”.
Compared to most electric scooters that’s a big wheel.

But as we are taking about E-bikes it’s a mute point. I looked on AliExpress and yes no batteries.
Aren’t they just the same as normal batteries just packaged up in a container?
They are usually li-ion 18650 cell that are just as problematic to have imported in sufficient quantities for an ebike and usually hard to source and expensive $5+ each. Companies who make lots of ebike batteries get them for less by buying 1000s at once. A person would also need a spot welder, pure nickel strips, battery case, BMS and the experience to make.
My battery is 52v17.5Ah so takes 98 Samsung batteries @ $5 each so it would be $490 plus the shipping which is expensive because it is considered hazardous material so it was cheaper just to by completed battery with warranty for $600
Did you have to pay import tax on the battery ?
I suspect in this time of Covid19 the GoC will be looking to maximum revenue where they can.
No addition fees for the battery for my bike 52v17.5Ah and I also bought a ebike kit for my wife's bike at the same time she got my old 48v11Ah battery. The shipping was free and there were no additional fee for any of it all bought during the virus at the end of April.
Additional note on delivery: It was shipped directly to my home here in Ta Khmau did not have to go the the post office to pick the items up brought right to my home.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

More electric bikes in Phnom Penh

Always "hope" but never "expect".
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

beaker wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:05 am
whatwat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:51 am
Sorry, they are 18”.
Compared to most electric scooters that’s a big wheel.

But as we are taking about E-bikes it’s a mute point. I looked on AliExpress and yes no batteries.
Aren’t they just the same as normal batteries just packaged up in a container?
They are usually li-ion 18650 cell that are just as problematic to have imported in sufficient quantities for an ebike and usually hard to source and expensive $5+ each. Companies who make lots of ebike batteries get them for less by buying 1000s at once. A person would also need a spot welder, pure nickel strips, battery case, BMS and the experience to make.
My battery is 52v17.5Ah so takes 98 Samsung batteries @ $5 each so it would be $490 plus the shipping which is expensive because it is considered hazardous material so it was cheaper just to by completed battery with warranty for $600
I suspect in this time of Covid19 the GoC will be looking to maximum revenue where they can.
No addition fees for the battery for my bike 52v17.5Ah and I also bought a ebike kit for my wife's bike at the same time she got my old 48v11Ah battery. The shipping was free and there were no additional fee for any of it all bought during the virus at the end of April.
Additional note on delivery: It was shipped directly to my home here in Ta Khmau did not have to go the the post office to pick the items up brought right to my home.
Where did you get your kit and battery pleasio?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

whatwat wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:23 pm
beaker wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:05 am

Where did you get your kit and battery pleasio?

This is where I bought mine they are one of the only companies that where able to ship the battery to Cambodia.
https://eunorau-ebike.com/

My wife's bike has this kit on the front wheel and her battery (the prices include free shipping or did when I bought). The advantages of this geared hub motor is that it can be pedaled around and has no resistance and pedals like normal when not under power and because is was going on the front the forks can not handle as much power as a bikes rear dropouts. It does 30 kph and has a range of about 30 kms

I use this kit on the rear and this battery. It is not gears so has some resistance when pedaling without power but that allows it to have regenerative braking which helps greatly for slowing and braking. It is also faster and simpler and more reliable because there are no gears to break or lube I've used mine for over a year and over 1000 kms. It will do 45kph and has a range about 40 kms

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Thanks beaks.
The batteries are the higher costs I see. I have a friend who has an old electric bike with four moto batteries. Heavy but cheap, $50 each.

On a side not. I looked at those Cambodian designed bikes (not Voltra!) and they look crap in the flesh. All frame with bicycle air forks, which are useless on normal bikes. Really heavy. Shame.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

whatwat wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:51 am Thanks beaks.
The batteries are the higher costs I see. I have a friend who has an old electric bike with four moto batteries. Heavy but cheap, $50 each.

On a side not. I looked at those Cambodian designed bikes (not Voltra!) and they look crap in the flesh. All frame with bicycle air forks, which are useless on normal bikes. Really heavy. Shame.
Yeah, battery are expensive the ones I showed you has the shipping included and because they are considered hazardous material it is expensive. On my 52v battery it is 14 batteries welded together to make 52v. Each battery is like $4 each so that is $56. there are 7 of these groups of 14 batteries connected in parallel to make 17A so my battery pack has 98 batteries at $4 each that is $392 just for the batteries. That is not including the BMS (battery management system) and the locking case and mount plus the labor to weld each cell to a nickel strip and packed in the case then you add $150.+ for shipping. Also you should get at least 2 years plus if you use it everyday and the power to charge them is minimal I didn't even notice a change in electrical bill and we have 2 of them. ( I get the bill from electric company with wattage use)
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic