Policeman Shoots Hairdresser to Death in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Policeman Shoots Hairdresser to Death in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On September 26, 2020, at 10 pm, a police officer shot a 30-year-old male hairdresser, Sok Soken, near Toul Kok school, Sangkat Beug Kengkok2, Khan Toul Kok, Phnom Penh. On September 27, 2020, the suspect was identified as Ly Tharey, a former police officer at Khan Daun Penh police station.
The victim's wife said her husband was sitting out in front of the house, drinking with his friend . At 10 pm, she heard them arguing, then the suspect used a gun to shoot her husband to death and ran away.

The victim's wife and his four daughters and the family were deeply shocked by the victim's death. Now that the suspect is identified, there is a warrant out for his arrest.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Policeman Shoots Hairdresser to Death in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:05 pm
The victim's wife said her husband was sitting out in front of the house, drinking with his friend . At 10 pm, she heard them arguing, then the suspect used a gun to shoot her husband to death and ran away.
This is why I often refuse the friendly offers of local people to come and drink beer with them. It's all fun and games until someone gets offended and decides to plug you. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

It send shivers down my spine.

I feel lucky, last night, I escaped from a scammer tuk tuk for only 10 bucks!!... (don't blame me to take tuk tuk night time... blame beer).

We often forget to be vigilant enough when the country looks so safe for a while...
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

onico wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:46 pm I feel lucky, last night, I escaped from a scammer tuk tuk for only 10 bucks!!... (don't blame me to take tuk tuk night time... blame beer).

We often forget to be vigilant enough when the country looks so safe for a while...
Too right.

Probably stating the obvious, but the risks go up exponentially between day and night. I never take the moto out at night...see too much crazy shit from freshie boys + alcohol.

And the jaow and other undesirables are active the later the night wears on. And they know how to pick their targets..
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: Lt. Gen. Thet, Deputy Commissioner of the National Police and Phnom Penh Municipal Police Commissioner, ordered the arrest of a police officer who escaped after shooting and killing a barber in Tuol Kork district. The murder took place on the night of September 26, 2020 in Village 13, Sangkat Boeung Kak 2, Khan Toul Kork, Phnom Penh.
Lt. Gen. Thet also gave orders that the offending police officer be removed from the National Police list and that he face legal action. He warned that the same would happen for any police officers who do not respect the law, do not respect the discipline of the National Police, and who commit any illegal activity.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:25 pm Too right.
Probably stating the obvious, but the risks go up exponentially between day and night. I never take the moto out at night...see too much crazy shit from freshie boys + alcohol.
And the jaow and other undesirables are active the later the night wears on. And they know how to pick their targets..
Maybe obvious, but still a good reminder.

And then, we understand that midday drinkers, afternoon drunkers are genius in Phnom Penh :-D

' morning beer :beer3:
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE: Appeal Denied
April 11, 2023
SC upholds ex-cop’s conviction for murder
The Supreme Court yesterday upheld the sentence of a former police officer who was previously sentenced by the lower court to 13 years for shooting a hairdresser dead over a dispute in Phnom Penh in 2020.

Presiding Judge Khim Ponn named the convict as Ly Tharey, 33, a former police officer working with the Phnom Penh Municipal Police from Boeng Kak II commune, in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district.

Judge Ponn named the victim as Sok Soken 34, a hairdresser living in the same commune in Tuol Kork district.

Tharey was sentenced on September 27, 2020, by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to 13 years in prison. The municipal court also ordered him to pay $150,000 in compensation to Soken’s wife.

He was charged with two counts of “murder and unauthorised possession of weapon” under Articles 199 and 490 of the Criminal Code, he said.
According to the police report, Tharey and Soken were neighbours and had an argument over motorcycle parking.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501271233/ ... or-murder/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:25 pm
onico wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:46 pm I feel lucky, last night, I escaped from a scammer tuk tuk for only 10 bucks!!... (don't blame me to take tuk tuk night time... blame beer).

Too right.

walking at night in PP is just like playing Russian roulette. PassApp well identified Tuc Tuc for $1. can save your life.
Boredom is like a shroud
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Wow.
75% discount on his 13 years sentence, the victim's family must be in shock...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:21 pm Wow.
75% discount on his 13 years sentence, the victim's family must be in shock...
Where are you getting that from? I can't see it in the article.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic