Opening Bank Acct & transfers in USD

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gilly
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Opening Bank Acct & transfers in USD

Post by Gilly »

pczz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:25 pm Normal charges from uk are
$35 intermediary bank fee +1% receiving fee minimum $10 or $20 depending on bank.
So send 1,000 and you will get $945
Canadia often reduces this fee so i use them most of the time. ABA is great but so successful if you often have to queue for ages.
Exchange rates on small amounts suk.
The intermediary fee does not seem to change. It is the same if you send $1000 or $20,000.
If you are European then you can save a load on the exchange rate by using a revolut card. I transfer money to that from my uk account in GBP, then do the currency change on revolut to USD because they give you the midpoint so you get 2% more dollars for your pound than a forex agent. Then i send the dollars to a usd account offshore in IOM for free and they send it to canadia bank for free or you can draw out at atm. Often much cheaper even Revolut card in atm with fees if its only a small amount because the rate is so good and no intermediary or receiving fees. Think it is $250 a month limit on cash, but i use the card for flights and hotels.
What's your IOM bank need to do that too to transfer to aba. cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic