Adopting an adult in Cambodia legally.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Adopting an adult in Cambodia legally.

Post by cautious colin »

Happens in Japan for a few different reasons.

No legitimate heir to the business (Suzuki, Honda And many others do this to find a good successor if there biological son/ daughter is not clever enough )

Same sex marriage is illegal, so a way to pass on inheritance and share the family name.

No idea about Cambodia
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:36 am even reading the links in duck duck go.
i still see no reason to adopt an adult
why does one need to legalize a emotion?
or, "to formalize the family relationship" or, "to transfer inheritance rights...." ( isn't that what wills are for?)

my daughter was born out of wedlock cause at the time there was no reason to marry her mom
only reason we married 3 years later is cause we wanted to try living in the states, otherwise......
This is not the reason for it in Cambodia but in some European countries for example inheritance tax can be one reason. You pay less tax if you are family vs "stranger".
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Lost50 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:08 pm How were you 'given' him? He latched on & calls you ma & pa, I recon its mostly in jest.
Well khmers use the word mom/dad for other People then their actual moms and dads who serve a similiar role just as in this case.

Maybe this is a loophole to get your 30 year old younger girlfriends back to your countries. Just adopt them.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Albror wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:53 pm
Lost50 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:08 pm How were you 'given' him? He latched on & calls you ma & pa, I recon its mostly in jest.
Well khmers use the word mom/dad for other People then their actual moms and dads who serve a similiar role just as in this case.

Maybe this is a loophole to get your 30 year old younger girlfriends back to your countries. Just adopt them.
Now that's an idea
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:21 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:36 am even reading the links in duck duck go.
i still see no reason to adopt an adult
why does one need to legalize a emotion?
or, "to formalize the family relationship" or, "to transfer inheritance rights...." ( isn't that what wills are for?)

my daughter was born out of wedlock cause at the time there was no reason to marry her mom
only reason we married 3 years later is cause we wanted to try living in the states, otherwise......
This is not the reason for it in Cambodia but in some European countries for example inheritance tax can be one reason. You pay less tax if you are family vs "stranger".
Judge;
"and why is it you wish to adopt ms jones ( 33 years old)"
"well ur honor, to get out of paying inheritance tax of course" :please:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Old tradition in Taiwan (and I suspect in all Chinese cultures), families needed a male heir to pass on the family name.

Reason my father was adopted.

But he was a boy at the time, not an adult.

Now of course it’s different.
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

Jack.R. wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:07 pm This is usually done out of respect, for inheritance reasons and religious reasons.
Nah, if I was the consular officer, I would be more inclined to ignore the above hogwash and focus more on the immigration aspect of the matter.

That would be the primary motivator. 99.99% of the case.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

There is something way off the mark with this thread in my opinion. Please prove me wrong.

Cambodia is a signatory to the Convention on the UN Rights of the Child (CRC). Under the CRC a child becomes an adult at attaining age 18 years.

As an adult, there is no reason to be "adopted".

Changing one's name or aligning with a particular family is an entirely different matter but it is not adoption.

Adoption requires a notation in the "Family Book" which would be unlikely to be forthcoming for a person over 18 years of age.

OML
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Example, child of previous marriage with no Cambodian nationality now is the son of a mixed couple. Adopting the kid should provide him with Cambodian nationality.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic