Father Arrested for Violence After Girl Posts "Please Help My Sister"

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Father Arrested for Violence After Girl Posts "Please Help My Sister"

Post by Queef »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:05 pm Some one was commenting on the fact there was not enough good news stories in Cambodia....

I think the swiftness of justice being served in this case goes some way to alleviating that discrepancy.
Chief of Police whatever its fuck name is sure was tough on him. 3 year sentence. Woo fucking hoo.

Keep in mind the whole thing was widely shared on social media. Of course the "police" had to take action, and quickly. Gotta save face, it's Cambodia. What tells you that he won't be out and about in two weeks?

Read what the article says. It will give you the clue you desperately need... "He was educating his daughter." That only lets you know that even the cops think he was doing the right thing as a family man.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It's a sad fact that a lot of Cambodians feel that they are more likely to get justice if they post their case on social media rather than reporting directly to the police.
It's not an ideal system( and this is not an excuse), but TIC and you have to work with whatever works.

Meanwhile, on a practical level, the CWCC (Cambodian Women's Crisis Centre) runs shelters for victims of rape, abuse, and domestic violence.
Contact numbers: http://www.cwcc.org.kh/contact.php
popping in
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by popping in »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:45 pm

Svay Rieng provincial police serious crime bureau chief Kim Lay said on Tuesday that the suspect was sent to the provincial court because he had used violence against his child.

“He educated his daughter, but he beat her until unconscious and used too much violence. He must not do that ever again,” Lay said.

What an utterly woeful response, and appalling example to be setting to the people.

Both of the sisters need to be properly protected from this piece of shit who should be serving a very lengthy jail time from the looks of those pictures.

There are just no words. :angry:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic