Strength of draft beer.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Strength of draft beer.

Post by Doc67 »

Woody wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:35 pm If you foolishly drink it with ice
Isn't beer with ice a lady drink?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:41 pm
I prefer beer cold if that means adding ice OK, not everywhere has a fridge handy, I've heard that poms like thier beer hot, each to thier own, but I can't drink a hot beer
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

+1 for cold beer.

And no, fridges do not cool cans of bottles of beer sufficiently.

I don't drink draft any longer because you never know when the lines were last, if ever, cleaned.

This means in one bar you could drink a keg and feel fine, but in another you will feel ill after just a few glasses.

All bottles and cans nowadays for me as a result.

Cannot say that I find bottles or cans stronger than draft.

I know some Khmer who swear that Anchor cans are stronger than Cambodia and Angkor etc, can't tell myself.
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Woody »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:41 pm
Yes in most bars that I regularly attend
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

You can tell if the lines have been cleaned regularly and the glasses, because it will pour a perfect head every time, the white of the head will stick to the glass all the way down to the end of the glass.
I wish I knew where this myth started, and how to stop it. As someone who worked in the service industry as a bartender and manager for years, this simply isn't true. Hell, the head on the beer can change from beginning to end of the same keg, in the same day. One place I worked briefly was a dirty bar with mice and roaches, and I assure you the tap lines were never cleaned. Beers poured just the same there as they did at the bar I worked and managed at where we had a service to clean the lines weekly.

What does most definitely affect the head/foam of a beer is temperature. That makes a huge difference. If you have a nice cold keg, and a line that you've been using recently, so the beer in it is nice and cold, and your gas pressure is adjusted well, you'll get nice pours no matter what slime is in the line in my experience. If those factors are out of whack, you'll get foamy beer on a perfectly clean line.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

hanno wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:40 pm And you do think it is safe to drink from that can now? Do you also wipe down cutler/chop sticks when in a restaurant?
It's definitely safer. Would you rather drink from the can covered in gunk or after it's been wiped clean?

And fuck yeah I give my cutlery a quick wipe down before using it, no idea what dirty shitcunt with smegma under their fingernails has touched your fork before you put it in your mouth.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Captain Bonez wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 am
hanno wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:40 pm And you do think it is safe to drink from that can now? Do you also wipe down cutler/chop sticks when in a restaurant?
It's definitely safer. Would you rather drink from the can covered in gunk or after it's been wiped clean?

And fuck yeah I give my cutlery a quick wipe down before using it, no idea what dirty shitcunt with smegma under their fingernails has touched your fork before you put it in your mouth.
Fair enough but I wouldn't drink in a place that has cans "covered in gunk" and I just do not think that wiping down anything with a dry tissue makes it any safer.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

This debate been going on as long i lived here. People also say that the cans are weaker. Ofc its never because they are alcoholics and become more tolerant :roll:

I always drink cans tho as its consistent and like saving the pulltabs for rainy days. Nothing more disapointing then really wanting a cold beer and get one that taste like dirty pipes and/or dishwash.
brisie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by brisie »

The reason why khmers drink from a straw is because they don't want to catch a big bucket of herpes from the skank drinking from the glass before with jizz all over her lips and the amount of crap around the top of the can.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

brisie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:18 am The reason why khmers drink from a straw is because they don't want to catch a big bucket of herpes from the skank drinking from the glass before with jizz all over her lips and the amount of crap around the top of the can.
Bloody hell you nearly put me off drinking
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic