What's the end game with this scam?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What's the end game with this scam?

Post by John Bingham »

LIVIDZX wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:33 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:05 pm If it's any use to you as protection against being approached by scammers, I think that at the time I was wearing some purple or limegreen $2 sunglasses bought from a riverside vendor. Obviously they were not attractive.
(But super protective!) 8)
:D Jokes aside what IS the scam? I'm skeptical it's the blackjack scam, these guys are always on their own for a start. No beautiful niece who needs to study.
Meeting the beautiful "niece" is the next step. Don't be skeptical about what we are telling you, because it's the exact same MO that I've heard repeated dozens of times in reports about people getting ripped off on poker scams. I got approached by some twat near Wat Botum who tried some "Your shoes are nice" garbage on me once. I told him I didn't play cards and he made some pathetic excuse and left. Don't give these people as much as a smile, they are parasites.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Your shirt is nice.
You have a happy face.
I like your shoes.
My response is always the same: I keep walking and don't even acknowledge the fucker.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

I had this bs too, nice t-shirt etc.

So I walk around naked now & never get any compliments about my birthday suit or meat & veg.

Problem solved though.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:47 pm Your shirt is nice.
You have a happy face.
I like your shoes.
My response is always the same: I keep walking and don't even acknowledge the fucker.
I never say a word and keep walking, but I do give them a filthy look, just so they know I have heard them and am onto them. They never waste any further time on me.

I would not advise getting into any conversation or getting up close. The more dumb you seem the more excited they will be and if you start backing out they might revert to plan B and start using their pick-pocketing skills.

Keep your distance and never engage with them (beyond a glare)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic