VN showing KOW how its done

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

VN showing KOW how its done

Post by lagrange »

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 ... 56824.html

Ok so obviously neither country is open to general travelers right now, but it looks like Vietnam is getting ready, and in a very reasonable way compared to Cambodia. $5 a day for shared accommodation in an army camp - done that before, and stayed in worse places as well. If VN had a decent retirement visa option, I reckon PP would become an expat ghost town.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: VN showing KOW how its done

Post by Doc67 »

lagrange wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:47 pm https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 ... 56824.html

Ok so obviously neither country is open to general travelers right now, but it looks like Vietnam is getting ready, and in a very reasonable way compared to Cambodia. $5 a day for shared accommodation in an army camp - done that before, and stayed in worse places as well. If VN had a decent retirement visa option, I reckon PP would become an expat ghost town.
It's going to be pretty basic for $5 a day and $3.40 for food. What are the hotel options?
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

lagrange wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:47 pm https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/202 ... 56824.html

Yes, VN is great in terms of the low cost of living. However, there's no much of a fun factor and the vibe is shockingly different from Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. It mostly attracts the geriatric segment who have had their fun and are just looking for a place with cheap beers and ciggies to finish out their time on earth.

It's also a good place if you suffer from insomnia.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^Sounds just the ticket, where do I sign up.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:18 pm

Yes, VN is great in terms of the low cost of living. However, there's no much of a fun factor and the vibe is shockingly different from Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. It mostly attracts the geriatric segment who have had their fun and are just looking for a place with cheap beers and ciggies to finish out their time on earth.

It's also a good place if you suffer from insomnia.
I am not sure if I agree with you on all points. Yes, Vung Tau is full of decrepit Aussies waiting for the last train out, but Saigon, Danang and even Hanoi have pretty varied social lives for expats. Beer is about the same as KOW, accommodation is a bit more expensive, but food is better, girls are prettier (although more expensive). So the next comment would be "well why dont you bloody stay there then". Visa run every three months is one main reason. KOW has a lot going for it for expats who want somewhere warm, friendly and interesting to retire to, and when everything opens back up (should that be 'if') Saigon is only a few hours away for a weekend break. Best of both worlds, mate.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

lagrange wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:47 pm ...$5 a day for shared accommodation in an army camp...
AndyKK wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:25 pm ^Sounds just the ticket, where do I sign up.
Careful what you wish for..

ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Young people in the age range of late 20s to early 40s far outnumber the "decrepit Xxxxs". VN is becoming an even more dynamic economy and attracting youngish entrepreneurs, especially Americans who can't wait to get out of their country and young S. Koreans putting some distance between them and the Pompous Potentate of NK.

When VN opens the doors with few or no restrictions, move out of the way for the waves of westerners and near-easterners. You won't be able to get a flight in during the early weeks.

But yeah, there's not much visa flexibility for us Decrepits.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic