Australian Ambassador to Cambodia Apologizes for Eating Turtle

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Australian Ambassador to Cambodia Apologizes for Eating Turtle

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Australian diplomat sorry for Cambodian turtle soup meal
16 Sep 2020 08:23PM

SYDNEY: Australia's ambassador to Cambodia has apologised for eating a dish containing softshell turtle, which are highly protected in parts of the world.

Ambassador Pablo Kang shared an image earlier this month of a bowl containing cooked turtle his party consumed during a visit to rural Pailin, but deleted the tweet after drawing criticism online.

"I have removed my tweet about softshell turtles and eels, and apologise to all those who took offence," Kang tweeted on Tuesday (Sep 15).

The ambassador's culinary faux pas stirred little interest inside Cambodia - where one particular softshell turtle species can be legally farmed and sold for food.

The meat is often made into a soup that is a particularly popular delicacy in the capital Phnom Penh.

But many other species of softshell are considered critically endangered around the world, and the pictures drew the wrath of online critics.

The Australian embassy told local outlet VOD, the dish had been offered as an official meal and the ambassador was assured the turtle had been farmed, and not from the wild.

"My intent was not to promote these dishes, but to tell people about some of the foods I was offered during my recent provincial visit," Kang said.

"I certainly do not condone the harvesting of any endangered species for food or other purposes, and will be more careful about my actions in future."
Source: AFP/kv
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... l-13117856

Wild softshell turtles in Cambodia are so rare that they were believed to be extinct until 2007: newsworthy/endangered-softshell-turtle- ... 17295.html
It is illegal to harvest these particular turtles or their eggs, so it does seem more likely that the ambassador was eating farmed turtle, rather than an endangered wildlife species, at an official meal with Cambodian authorities.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Australian Ambassador to Cambodia Apologizes for Eating Turtle

Post by lagrange »

Pablo Kang? What sort of ocker name is that? And what a clown. Apologizing to the whole country for eating turtle soup. Probably tasted like shit anyway. While we are on the subject I would like to apologize to the whole of Vietnam for eating snake, dog, and one particular pussy that tasted like fish. I sincerely regret all three and it will never happen again as long as I am sober. Pablo Kang. Get a real name mate. Bruce or Kev.
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hey, Lagrange
Australia has just decided to drop this little experiment and go back to it's traditional style of doing diplomacy.
You got the job if you want it.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

lagrange wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:34 am Pablo Kang? What sort of ocker name is that? Pablo Kang. Get a real name mate. Bruce or Kev.
Barry (aka Bazza) Kang has a certain ring to it :hattip:
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:34 am Hey, Lagrange
Australia has just decided to drop this little experiment and go back to it's traditional style of doing diplomacy.
You got the job if you want it.
Well I certainly have the diplomatic skills to mix it up with all these bloody foreigners but as an honorary Kiwi of variable origin I have to decline your kind offer. However I believe there is a fine Aussie gent waiting in the wings for just such an opportunity....
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic