HIV infection rate can be reduced with Male Circumcision

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: HIV infection rate can be reduced with Male Circumcision

Post by Arget »

Since Boris was made Prime Minister they have tried to circumcise him but cannot because there is no end to the prick :hattip:
Spoiler:
The intention to make it local was overpowered by survival mode
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Male circumcision campaigns in Africa to fight HIV are a form of cultural imperialism

Male circumcision campaigns in Africa to fight HIV 'neocolonialist' and not based on robust science

World Health Organization-recommended campaigns to circumcise millions of African boys and men to reduce HIV transmission are based more on systemic racism and 'neocolonialism' than sound scientific research, according to a critical appraisal published in Developing World Bioethics.

More than 25 million men and boys have already been circumcised as a result of voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) campaigns in eastern and southern Africa, implemented by the United States government and Western non-governmental organisations (NGOs).

The critical appraisal examined the history and politics of these circumcision campaigns in the context of race and colonialism, and found that they had been started in haste and without sufficient contextual research. The paper concluded that the campaigns have been carried out in a manner that implies troubling assumptions about culture, health and sexuality in Africa. Africans were underrepresented in the decision making process, and needed a greater voice in the planning of such an intimate health intervention.

Full article: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 091020.php
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:53 am
The critical appraisal examined the history and politics of these circumcision campaigns in the context of race and colonialism, and found that they had been started in haste and without sufficient contextual research. The paper concluded that the campaigns have been carried out in a manner that implies troubling assumptions about culture, health and sexuality in Africa. Africans were underrepresented in the decision making process, and needed a greater voice in the planning of such an intimate health intervention.

Full article: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases ... 091020.php
So, Africa gets a charitable gift that prevents a lot of HIV and deaths and then some people complain Africans were underrepresented in the decision to do it (the head of the WHO is African and it employs a lot of other Africans in its HQ in Geneva). And what would the troubling assumption about sexuality be? That some of them are gay? Haha.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The solution is simple (and harsh). Don’t do it. No free circumcisions. No clean water. No rice or flour or grain. No security.

The only solution to political correctness run amok. Give them what they want.

Which is nothing.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:31 am The solution is simple (and harsh). Don’t do it. No free circumcisions. No clean water. No rice or flour or grain. No security.

Which is nothing.
That may be going a bit too far. Listen to Prof Angus Deaton:

So let me say a little bit about foreign aid. I’m in favor of foreign aid, so it’s the kind of foreign aid that we’re talking about. And the kind of foreign aid I think is terrific is the sort of, if you like, the foreign aid that builds global public goods or that does work on health. For instance, there’s enormous advances in the understanding of HIV/AIDS, for instance, and vaccinations, and so on. These were all discovered and developed in the First World—there are a few exceptions—and gifted, as it were, to the Third World, and did enormous amounts of useful things there in saving people’s lives.

What Dr. Falk was referring to is I worry a lot about African countries where almost all government expenditure is coming from external sources. And that, to me, is the really crazy thing. And those governments have no incentives at all to respond to their people, because the only incentives the have are to deal with the aid agencies and to work with the aid agencies.

The China and India example she gave if you look at the percentage of GDP that India and China have had as aid, it’s completely trivial. Those are the great success stories. The stories that look very bad are the African ones. And if you just read the African literature and you read people who’ve worked there and worked with the aid agencies and worked with the governments, the corruptive effect of aid on these governments, of them turning away from their people, is just astronomical.

So I think—I accept the moral responsibility of us who are so well-off to do something about these people who are so poorly—so poor. But the moral responsibility we also have is not to hurt them, and I think a lot of aid has, unfortunately, been hurting. Not that every project is bad, but I think the long-term consequences.

So I would have a policy that says no government in Africa should be getting more than 20 percent of its government revenue on a permanent basis from abroad. Otherwise, it’s just not going to work. You need a contract between the government and the people if the country is going to develop at all.

Source: https://www.cfr.org/event/angus-deaton- ... inequality

So, the answer is to do the right thing and tell the moaners to STFU.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:32 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:31 am The solution is simple (and harsh). Don’t do it. No free circumcisions. No clean water. No rice or flour or grain. No security.

Which is nothing.
That may be going a bit too far. Listen to Prof Angus Deaton:

So let me say a little bit about foreign aid. I’m in favor of foreign aid, so it’s the kind of foreign aid that we’re talking about. And the kind of foreign aid I think is terrific is the sort of, if you like, the foreign aid that builds global public goods or that does work on health. For instance, there’s enormous advances in the understanding of HIV/AIDS, for instance, and vaccinations, and so on. These were all discovered and developed in the First World—there are a few exceptions—and gifted, as it were, to the Third World, and did enormous amounts of useful things there in saving people’s lives.

What Dr. Falk was referring to is I worry a lot about African countries where almost all government expenditure is coming from external sources. And that, to me, is the really crazy thing. And those governments have no incentives at all to respond to their people, because the only incentives the have are to deal with the aid agencies and to work with the aid agencies.

The China and India example she gave if you look at the percentage of GDP that India and China have had as aid, it’s completely trivial. Those are the great success stories. The stories that look very bad are the African ones. And if you just read the African literature and you read people who’ve worked there and worked with the aid agencies and worked with the governments, the corruptive effect of aid on these governments, of them turning away from their people, is just astronomical.

So I think—I accept the moral responsibility of us who are so well-off to do something about these people who are so poorly—so poor. But the moral responsibility we also have is not to hurt them, and I think a lot of aid has, unfortunately, been hurting. Not that every project is bad, but I think the long-term consequences.

So I would have a policy that says no government in Africa should be getting more than 20 percent of its government revenue on a permanent basis from abroad. Otherwise, it’s just not going to work. You need a contract between the government and the people if the country is going to develop at all.

Source: https://www.cfr.org/event/angus-deaton- ... inequality

So, the answer is to do the right thing and tell the moaners to STFU.
He was much more fun when presenting "Have I Got News For You"
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:47 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:16 am I think I will stick with a condom thank you very much.
^^ I would think the guy above you Doc67 is no doc himself, more sales man I reckon. Why I say so because he doesn't answer questions, but then again he would want to charge I would have thought.
He is a back link farmer... this is a very big website and he is sending anchor links that help in the search engine. what he is doing is creating what the call
spider food... when the spiders scan the net for your back links..

Just my 2 cents
Crackers
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Crackers »

Just for information, Dr Pommy is a very highly qualified urologist working at RHPP. He posts these articles to spark interest. I have been treated by him...he is a real doctor, and is worth listening to.

Crackers
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Is 3+ years old too late to have a kid circumcised ?
.... tho he would hate me to do it to him now
I wasn’t at the birth ( and to be honest wonder what would have happened if I was there ) , the mother didn’t have it done .
My 2 kids born in thailand hadit done ,and the thing on my cambodian kid here looks like an elephants nose .
Not for the purpose of reducing HIV but it just looks freaky to me ..

Na , I wouldn’t do it to him anyway ... but this brought the subject to mind ,
I would be dead before he gets old enough to chide ME for It anyway . :beer2: :beer3:
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Male castration can garantee ones self 99.9% reduction from HIV.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic