ABA Bank to Suspend Personal Internet Banking Services

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
User avatar
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Posts: 37227
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:13 am
Reputation: 2119
Location: CEO Newsroom in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Contact:
Cambodia

ABA Bank to Suspend Personal Internet Banking Services

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:07 am

UPDATE: It seems this is legitimate. To be clear - if you are using the ABA internet banking services, then you will need to change to the mobile app before 1 Jan 2021.
[This OP has been edited due to the posts from CEO members below. Thanks to all.]

Dear ABA Personal iBanking user,

We’d like to inform you that ABA Personal iBanking user accounts that were inactive (i.e. no successful log in) since 1 June 2020 will be suspended on 21 September 2020. In this regard, we ask you to log in to your ABA Personal iBanking before the mentioned date to avoid suspension.
After 21 September, suspended account users will have to visit an ABA Bank branch for reactivation.

In addition, ABA Bank will discontinue its Personal iBanking service from 1 January 2021 onwards. To continue fulfilling your banking needs remotely, we encourage you to take advantage of our secure and convenient mobile banking application, ABA Mobile. The app gives you access to your finances for free any time and from anywhere using just your smartphone.
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
samrong01
Expatriate
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm
Reputation: 136
New Zealand

Re: Warning: Suspect ABA Bank Messages may be Phishing

Post by samrong01 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:37 am

I received two of these messages this morning. One was in Khmer and English and the other in English. There were no working links in the emails. In fact they do appear to be genuine - that ABA is discontinuing Internet Banking from 1 January. I checked on their website and the same message is there as well. Unless somebody also hacked their website (possible) it seems to be true.

Even so clever to send just when ABA is closed for Pchum Bon so can not verify until next week.

If it is true I will have to change banks. If its a scam then how did the scammer get access to the email addresses and hack the website? Serious security breach and perhaps a reason to change banks.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2790
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2169
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Warning: Suspect ABA Bank Messages may be Phishing

Post by Doc67 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 am

I don't think I have ever logged on with IBanking, I just use the app and love it.
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 656
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Warning: Suspect ABA Bank Messages may be Phishing

Post by timmydownawell » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Doc67 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 am
I don't think I have ever logged on with IBanking, I just use the app and love it.
Same. Strange email though. It's saying 'you haven't used iBanking, but if you want to you'd better be quick because we're shutting it down in three months'.
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
User avatar
Doc67
Expatriate
Posts: 2790
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 am
Reputation: 2169
Location: PHNOM PENH !!!!!
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Warning: Suspect ABA Bank Messages may be Phishing

Post by Doc67 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:28 pm

timmydownawell wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm
Doc67 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 am
I don't think I have ever logged on with IBanking, I just use the app and love it.
Same. Strange email though. It's saying 'you haven't used iBanking, but if you want to you'd better be quick because we're shutting it down in three months'.
I haven't got one the emails, I even checked in the spam folder.

What is the difference anyway between App based access and PC based access? Do they arrive at the same screen? There is nothing I need to do that can't be done with the app.
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 656
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Warning: Suspect ABA Bank Messages may be Phishing

Post by timmydownawell » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:46 pm

Doc67 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:28 pm
timmydownawell wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:04 pm
Doc67 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 am
I don't think I have ever logged on with IBanking, I just use the app and love it.
Same. Strange email though. It's saying 'you haven't used iBanking, but if you want to you'd better be quick because we're shutting it down in three months'.
I haven't got one the emails, I even checked in the spam folder.
I got a text message (shorter version) and two emails (English and Khmer) which both went to my spam folder. I'm sure it's legit though @CEOCambodiaNews
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
User avatar
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
Posts: 3209
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am
Reputation: 1103
New Zealand

Re: ABA Bank to Suspend Personal Internet Banking Services

Post by PSD-Kiwi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:07 pm

That's a stupid move. If you are overseas and lose your phone/tablet with the app on it then you will not be able to access your banking as you can only set it up in Cambodia with your registered Cambodian phone number.
User avatar
clutchcargo
Expatriate
Posts: 4300
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:09 pm
Reputation: 2555
Cambodia

Re: ABA Bank to Suspend Personal Internet Banking Services

Post by clutchcargo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:07 pm
That's a stupid move. If you are overseas and lose your phone/tablet with the app on it then you will not be able to access your banking as you can only set it up in Cambodia with your registered Cambodian phone number.
If you're overseas, does the Cambo ph number need to be set up for international roaming for ABA banking? Or does it work anyway (as long as it was set up originally in KOW as you say). I vaguely recall asking Smart can I set it up for roaming when I went to Malaysia and I think they said no.

Acleda gave me a OTP dongle for non app/browser banking overseas but they charge me 50c/month for that. Dunno if I can use their app overseas.
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 656
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: ABA Bank to Suspend Personal Internet Banking Services

Post by timmydownawell » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:54 pm

clutchcargo wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm
If you're overseas, does the Cambo ph number need to be set up for international roaming for ABA banking? Or does it work anyway (as long as it was set up originally in KOW as you say). I vaguely recall asking Smart can I set it up for roaming when I went to Malaysia and I think they said no.
You can roam with Smart in Malaysia using Celcom (both owned by Axiata) but it's $1/day. Just need to turn the roaming option on in settings on your phone, from memory. All getting a bit hazy because it's a year since I stepped outside of Cambodia now.
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
xandreu
Expatriate
Posts: 682
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:37 am
Reputation: 573
Great Britain

Re: ABA Bank to Suspend Personal Internet Banking Services

Post by xandreu » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Many banks don't have a web-based presence anymore. They cost too much to maintain and few people use them. Everything is almost exclusively mobile these days so it was only a matter of time.

My only concern is that the website does come in handy when the app itself, or a particular aspect of the app is down for some reason, and you desperately need to do something there and then, which has happened to me on more than one occasions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SternAAlbifrons and 63 guests