Vale Don Smythe (aka TaaBarang)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Vale Don Smythe (aka TaaBarang)

Post by whatwat »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:17 am I got my son his US Birth Cert and SS# soon after he was born, I was worried if something happened to me that it would be difficult for them to take care of.

The sangkat was trying to milk me because they can't issue birth document to an unmarried foreigner with Khmer woman (lmao). Once you deal with that the process with the embassy is easy. Can't imagine why someone woudn't do it, unless physically unable.
How can you get a US birth certificate for a child born overseas?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

whatwat wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 am
GMJS-CEO wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:17 am I got my son his US Birth Cert and SS# soon after he was born, I was worried if something happened to me that it would be difficult for them to take care of.

The sangkat was trying to milk me because they can't issue birth document to an unmarried foreigner with Khmer woman (lmao). Once you deal with that the process with the embassy is easy. Can't imagine why someone woudn't do it, unless physically unable.
I think he meant the consular report of birth abroad which is than used to gt the US passport

If ur not born in the US, you cant have a US BC :-) :beer3:

My daughter had both her passports before she was 1 ,Could Never understand why Ta was so against it.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:47 am

I think he meant the consular report of birth abroad which is than used to gt the US passport

If ur not born in the US, you cant have a US BC :-) :beer3:

My daughter had both her passports before she was 1 ,Could Never understand why Ta was so against it.
That makes sense. Same for UK although you don’t need to register a birth to obtain a passport.

As soon as my kid’s Cambodian passport is here I’ll be getting them their foreign passports. It’s my duty.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
steelyRon
Expatriate

Post by steelyRon »

If you receive social security and have or adopt children in a country outside of the US, you and your children are entitled to Children's Benefits. The first child gets 50% of your overall monthly payment, and others get less. See details here: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Correction, it was a Consular Report of Birth Abroad they issued.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic