Feral children in the street

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Feral children in the street

Post by Stiliko »

I was down in Daun Penh the other night and came across the damnedest thing. This was down at the far south end of Kandal market on street 13. As I rounded the corner I saw a pack of children – had to be at least a dozen – running wild in the street. They were all whooping & yelling at the top of their lungs and laughing. Except it didn’t sound like children’s laughter, more like barking. If I had to guess their ages I would say they ranged between eight and 13.

A pack mentality seem to be at play and I picked out one older girl, say about 12 or 13, as the Alpha. She started running up the street and jumped onto the back of a Tuk Tuk. The others swarmed after her. The driver stopped, jumped out and started yelling and pulling them off. After that he got back in and tried to race away but they were quicker than him and we’re soon hanging off the back again. Again he yelled and began threatening them. He had customers inside and they looked bewildered, frightened.

After he sped away they latched onto another Tuk Tuk and the same scenario repeated itself. by this time they’d made it up as far as the middle of the market. Now they spotted a Tuk Tuk sitting empty at the side of the street and they all jumped inside & packed into it like a clown car. Strangely enough the driver stayed calm and spoke with them. I guess he must’ve made the decision to drive them where they wanted to go because he drove them north on the street and out of sight.

Glue sniffer’s. That’s the first thing that came to mind. They looked decidedly feral. I’m just guessing. I don’t really know. I do know it was one of the damndest depressing things I’ve seen in quite some time.

Further up the street I ducked into Smile Mart to pick up some expat style food. After a minute or so the pack of kids came pouring through the door, running wild through the isles, lifting all kinds of snacks & goods. The goddamn useless guard at the door had opened the door for them. The people behind the counter started scolding him and he commenced chasing them through the aisles. Real keystone cops stuff. With much effort he eventually flushed them out of the store.

As I exited I saw them again across the street, yelling and seeming to have a fanatical good time. They hopped on the back of another Tuk Tuk and hanging off the back, headed north towards Phsar Cha.

I hope to God I never see anything like that ever again. They were dressed in clothes no clean but not dirty either, not rags – normal looking clothes – and didn’t appear to be living on the street. “Goddamnit what the hell was that?“ I asked the Khmer girl standing next to me. She looked as grim as Me and just shrugged her shoulders.

Lord give me strength.
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Feral children in the street

Post by Anchor Moy »

I saw a gang of kids like this outside ABA bank in SHV. They were crazy and fearless and most of them had a bag of glue. Their eyes were empty, like a zombie movie. This was some years ago and I still remember it quite clearly.
Like a gang of monkeys on meth.
A local organization was trying to bring the kids in for care, but then the hard case kids would attract their friends back on to the streets, or that's what someone told me at the time.
:(
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A few friends decided to have a beer on the Riverside a couple of months ago, at 2 AM. Not in a restaurant or anything, on the actual quay. Of course the first thing I said to them was what dumbass would go there at 2 AM? So anyway they were sitting on the parapet and this feral kid came sneaking along behind the wall and grabbed one guy's phone. Another guy noticed and tried to grab the phone back and then both ended up rolling down the embankment. Anyway, with this commotion going on, suddenly out of the shadows about a dozen kids appeared and a few of them pulled out various blades. My friends got the f... out of there. Dangerous little maniacs, the ones on glue can be very volatile too so I always give them a wide berth.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Yes, you're right Stiliko. I live in the area and I mentioned as an aside on another topic that I see gangs of young kids in the area..some shabbily dressed or no shirts..roaming the streets unaccompanied buy parents/adults and they are up to no good.

I've woken up a few times in the night hearing yelling and commotion in the streets in the early hours usually after the bars have closed.

My GF and myself are increasingly wary about safety walking in the area and I try to keep an eye in the back of my head. I see a lot of homeless adults and children sleeping under the bar awnings at 11-12 am. Freelancers prowling the streets. Aggressive beggars also.

Things have def turned for the worse imo.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm very surprised reading this if I'm honest. I haven't experienced anything like this having lived in Cambodia for several years. I've been to some depressing places in my life, notably Eastern European countries, where feral kids carrying bags of glue are in abundance, and I've always thought to myself that while there is a huge problem with homeless kids in Cambodia, at least they don't generally cause much trouble and glue-sniffing seems almost unheard of.

Maybe I've sheltered myself so much here that I just don't go to places where this sort of thing happens or perhaps I'm so ignorant that I just haven't noticed it.

But I'm genuinely shocked to read accounts like this.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^^^
OP referred to Kandal market/St13 area and my post similarly was in context of the Riverside area. Probably not surprising this district would be subject to this given the current situation.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Not surprised at all to read this

My 1st visit to Cambodia in Jan 2014, started with 3 nights at a riverside hotel in PP, called something like the Cozyna hotel (spelt something like that), directly opposite the exercise equipment area. A balcony room 4 or 5 floors up.

During the daytime for the full 2 days I was there, I saw a pack of about a dozen kids up to perhaps 11 or 12 years old, scavenging food from the rubbish bins, and using the gardeners hose pipes & taps to drink from & wash with, whilst often approaching & hassling tourists passing by. No idea if they were there after dark

The thing I remember most about the hotel however was upon my arrival late afternoon after a flight from Bangkok, was entering the room, putting my bag down, going to the balcony to have a look out over the riverside, and then hearing a noise, going to & opening the bathroom door, where a male member of hotel staff was sitting on my toilet having a shit.

Quite unpleasant really, especially as I did need the toilet upon arrival, after then taxi took 60mins from the airport
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's not something you'll really see outside of a small central area. There used to be a lot more until they relocated a lot of the central slums and started picking up more vagrants and putting them in "rehabilitation".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic