Vale Don Smythe (aka TaaBarang)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Vale Don Smythe

Post by TWY »

Now, which of the many expatriates residing in Cambodia and vocal on this or related forums will step up to the plate and assist his Cambodian widow claim the US benefits she may now be entitled to?

-------------------------

OML, I'm not an expert at SS benefits. From my limited knowledge, either his wife or his children have to meet a 5 year residency requirement (lived in the US for at least 5 years) in order to receive benefits. Even if his children have SS #'s, if they have never lived in the US they are not eligible for payments. There is an exception for the kids if his wife lived in the US for 10 years I believe - but I wouldn't take my word for that exception.

Also, Social Security will expect that the payment for the month in which he died be returned. So if he died in September, the payment which will be received in October (the Sept. Payment) needs to be returned in full. From a practical perspective, if he's been here 20 years and has no assets in the US, its unlikely anything will actually be done regarding this. But if he owned a home or other property, make sure it gets done. And someone needs to notify Social Security of his death.

Its likely he knew the situation in regards to what his wife/children would/wouldn't be able to get as when he started his payments he had to make a choice in regards to spousal benefits and I'd assume he was told then whether or not she was eligible. I would expect he'd have some type of paperwork on that laying around somewhere.

I don't know how he was receiving his payments. Personally, I'd clear out that bank account if possible (if his wife is listed on the account) and set up a new account. That eliminates SS's ability to simply reach back in and retrieve money.

Now, if he has a private pension or a 401K or IRA, those are more likely to provide his wife with support depending on the choices he made. A 401K he names the beneficiary for the account in the event of his death. And a pension usually allows for choices similar to SS in choosing a lesser monthly benefit but extending it to surviving spouses - some pensions also have small death benefits for surviving minor children.

Bottom line is that hopefully he has his affairs in order with paperwork assembled, contact info and instructions. Short of that, someone very close to him will need to follow through - everything else is just speculation.
RandyN
BANNED

Post by RandyN »

If the guy never outed himself by using his real name here, why is he being outed now? Maybe he wouldn't want his friends and family to read all the anonymous posts he made on CEO and know he wrote them.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:20 am Might be worth editing the headline, adding Ta Barang.
Good idea. Done. :thumb:
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Thank you TWY for your courteous and thoughtful contribution.

Being an Australian and currently "under open arrest" in Australia, due to my governments general prohibition on letting Australians and non-Australian permanent residents leave the country for the foreseeable future, I am neither adequately informed on matters relating to United States Social Security matters, nor in a position to give any advice to the late forum member's next of kin. Hence the last line of my posting. This is a matter that can only be attended to by an in-country person well versed and fully up to date in such US matters.

I have proposed to his widow that she should visit the US Embassy in Phnom Penh and seek advice and guidance on these matters. This is the best that I can do from afar in this Covid-19 disrupted world and times.

OML
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vale Don Smythe (aka TaaBarang)

Post by Soriya »

RIP to the fellow and good luck to his family in getting assistance.
But not being versed in accronyms to well, what does OML mean?
I keep seeing it mentioned
Last edited by Soriya on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Hello Soriya.

My forum nom de plume is... Ot Mean Loi... which I chose to abbreviate to OML on sign-off.

Ot Mean Loi is a very common Cambodian expression meaning ...I have no money...which is particularly true for me at the present time.

OML
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Very sorry to hear of his passing.
I always greatly respected his knowledge and understanding of Cambodia.
RandyN
BANNED

Post by RandyN »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:17 pm
I have proposed to his widow that she should visit the US Embassy in Phnom Penh and seek advice and guidance on these matters. This is the best that I can do from afar in this Covid-19 disrupted world and times.
She probably can't visit the embassy, they don't take visitors and field questions about how to get US benefits. They'd likely direct her to some online resources and tell her to figure it out.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

He wasn't legally married, and I am sure I recall him stating that he had not registered his kids births with the US or obtained them US passports...I hope he at least rectified that before his passing.

Condolences to his family.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm He wasn't legally married, and I am sure I recall him stating that he had not registered his kids births with the US or obtained them US passports...I hope he at least rectified that before his passing.

Condolences to his family.
yep
thats the way i recall it as well, he got quite upset with a few of us that told him to register his kids with the counselor report of birth abroad. Didn't feel it was something to have, even thou it gave the kids a chance of a life outside Cambodia.

Kids and mom are out of luck in getting any $$ assistance from the US goverment.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic