Kampot Province Targets to Attract 2.5 million Tourists by 2023

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

AKP Phnom Penh, September 09, 2020 --

Kampot province, one of the country’s four coastal provinces, has targeted to attract up to 2.5 million tourists by 2023, as the province is currently developing new tourism destinations, tourism products, and upgrade infrastructure to support the sector.

The target was shared in a dissemination workshop on tourism development plan 2019-2023 held on Sept 9 at the Kampot provincial hall.

In the meeting, Kampot Provincial Governor H.E. Chev Tay said that the five-year tourism development plan will contribute to tourism development in the province.

“The five-year tourism development plan 2019-2023 presents a clear vision for the future of tourism development in Kampot province, focusing on strategic directions, including tourism product development, market research, promotion, connectivity and travel facilitation, infrastructure development, cultural and natural resource conservation, human resource development, and tourism negative impact management,” he said.

“The development plan also points to the study of challenges, risks, strengths, opportunities and the development of strategies, measures, action plans, mechanisms for implementation and monitoring,” he added.

In the first six months of 2020, Kampot province welcomed 838,000 local and international tourists while in the same period last year, there were 1,090,000 visitors, according to the Kampot Provincial Tourism Department.

https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/218121

What is the "development plan" going to involve, hopefully it looks like there has been some thoughts put in place, not the re-run of Sihanoukville that seems now the case there was bad management and that more likely of greed, but it's easy to that too be portrayed when new money from investors is flashing around. At least the words used, "study of challenges, risks, strengths, opportunities and the development of strategies, measures, action plans, mechanisms for implementation and monitoring", shows someone is being practical and observant.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Kampot Province Targets to Attract 2.5 million Tourists by 2023

Post by Anchor Moy »

Well, there is this: newsworthy/fishermens-alarm-grows-over- ... 29717.html
And of course, the future beautiful development on Bokor: newsworthy/bokor-town-plans-unveiled-t29883.html

There's also a project for an international port on the Kampot coast for ferries and cruise boats I think. There was talk of ferries to Phu Quoc.
They are doing a lot of excavating into the mangroves anyway. I've seen the diggers and the new roads myself. IMO this will not be eco-tourism, and there are some warning signs, but that's just what I think. There are other posters here who know more about what's going on in Kampot.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

If it's Chinese money then far from Eco , just distroy anything natural and replace with concrete
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

atst wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:25 pm If it's Chinese money then far from Eco , just distroy anything natural and replace with concrete
It was much better when they just built small hotels and bars for expats and backpackers.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

They're a bit behind their aimed target now I guess.....
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:55 am

There's also a project for an international port on the Kampot coast for ferries and cruise boats I think. There was talk of ferries to Phu Quoc.
They are doing a lot of excavating into the mangroves anyway. I've seen the diggers and the new roads myself. IMO this will not be eco-tourism, and there are some warning signs, but that's just what I think. There are other posters here who know more about what's going on in Kampot.
The ferry port is speeding along in build but is located on the city side of the river about 1km from the gulf. Ferries planned for PQ, SNV, Koh Rong, Koh Kong, Koh Chang etc. Pictures I have seen have a dedicated Immigration section however I haven't heard whether there are bilateral agreements between Thailand and Vietnam. AFAIK there are no current coastal Immigration facilities on PQ or Koh Chang.

There has been a published development plan for years that is now out of date.

The 42 storey monstrosity seems to have come to a halt amid rumours it is not possible to construct to that height due to soil compaction and land movement. Some fuck-knuckle decided that due to that building that the old moto bridge be replaced with a new concrete one - work was meant to start this week. This will be a nightmare as all traffic will have to use the only bridge which struggles massively on weekends and holidays without the moto traffic.

The original plan had a ring road from the PP road to the Snooky road with a big bridge to divert all the trucks further up the river past the railway line. Surely that bridge is the logical priority considering 1000's of trucks are crossing the existing bridge daily?

Meanwhile property development has not slowed at all - in fact it is increasing. All areas around the city have been booming with approx 40-50k house lots either being built or sold as land plots.

Arseholes light fires nightly at dusk at the base of Bokor to reclaim land with impunity.

The cruise port and the deep sea cargo ports are both progressing rapidly.

National road 3 upgrade is not far of completion so we will get even more trucks.

Near my land 120 bungalows/villas have started in the last 3 months.

Still lots of money being spread about for sure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic