Trying to move over to Linux

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Trying to move over to Linux

Post by xandreu »

Every couple of years I give Linux a go and get quite excited at having a new operating system to play with, but before long I seem to run into so many problems, and tend to give up, reluctantly going back to good ol' Windows with my tail between my legs.

It's about that time again and my Linux of choice is Pop OS. I'm determined to make a go of this attempt as I really like the reviews of this Linux and it doesn't seem too tricky to master but I've already run into Bluetooth mouse issues.

I have 2 Bluetooth mice. (Logitech MX Master 2S and a Huawei BT Mouse) It can see them both but won't pair with either of them for some reason. Just keeps saying 'pairing failed'. I have some Bluetooth earbuds which pair and connect just fine, it's just these mice that won't pair for some reason.

I could ask on a specific forum I guess but can't be bothered to sign up. I'll keep using the trackpad for now. Everything else seems to be running OK so far.

Any ideas?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Trying to move over to Linux

Post by John Bingham »

I don't understand why any domestic user would want to use Linux. Can anyone explain it?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It's a geek thing I guess. But aside from the customisation and tinkering under the hood you can do with it, I've never been comfortable with the amount of data the likes of Microsoft and Google have on me. I know it's pretty impossible to stop them getting their grubby little hands on everything, but that doesn't mean I have to willingly hand it all to them on a plate.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:04 pm I don't understand why any domestic user would want to use Linux. Can anyone explain it?
whenever i have to touch windows, or in fact anything microsoft, these days, the whole street knows about it

then again all software sucks
just some sucks more than the rest

their hardware looks nice now though
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

^^^
And on the subject try Signal or Telegram for messaging

Proton mail is also good for e mails...

Have fun...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

lol
audio works perfectly
google translate might be useful for the more, uh, technical, phrases

monstra mihi bona!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Could try changing ecosystems. Buy a used Mac and play around with it. For me, MacOS just works. Of course, I don’t enjoy fiddling “under the hood”. I just want it to work and play games. Less on the play games since the Xbox One.

As for the OP, mice don’t work because the correct drivers aren’t installed. There are probably drivers available, but as with everything in Linux, it’s do it yourself. Because there are a zillion flavors of Linux, a solution might not be your solution.

I have the Logitech mouse in question. No problems on my current Mac. Or the Mac before that.

And there’s. Chrome book and Chrome OS. Of course then there’s the constant need for the computer to report everything back to Google all the time.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

xandreu wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:56 pm Every couple of years I give Linux a go and get quite excited at having a new operating system to play with, but before long I seem to run into so many problems, and tend to give up, reluctantly going back to good ol' Windows with my tail between my legs.

It's about that time again and my Linux of choice is Pop OS. I'm determined to make a go of this attempt as I really like the reviews of this Linux and it doesn't seem too tricky to master but I've already run into Bluetooth mouse issues.

I have 2 Bluetooth mice. (Logitech MX Master 2S and a Huawei BT Mouse) It can see them both but won't pair with either of them for some reason. Just keeps saying 'pairing failed'. I have some Bluetooth earbuds which pair and connect just fine, it's just these mice that won't pair for some reason.

I could ask on a specific forum I guess but can't be bothered to sign up. I'll keep using the trackpad for now. Everything else seems to be running OK so far.

Any ideas?
Re: Logitech MX Master 2S
You might need to install solaar.

This, from the link below: "Thought I would add that Solaar (master/development branch) now supports Master MX 2S fully: you can pair it with the receiver, you can change the DPI and configure the Smartshift sensitivity all via the GUI." ( << that post is 2 years old)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I have read little about this option, an American friend first told me about Linux. He returned back home from Cambodia some months ago. He had little trust in Microsoft. I think in a similar way about them since my time in this country, but this is a problem not about security. It was more thinking of a rescue if at all possible. I would suspect not, but here is why, I have a Microsoft Surface RT. Now lost the support of it's maker, so with no ongoing plans it will just stop working, and be a thing of past times, but reading this I wondered if it would run Linux?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:36 am I have read little about this option, an American friend first told me about Linux. He returned back home from Cambodia some months ago. He had little trust in Microsoft. I think in a similar way about them since my time in this country, but this is a problem not about security. It was more thinking of a rescue if at all possible. I would suspect not, but here is why, I have a Microsoft Surface RT. Now lost the support of it's maker, so with no ongoing plans it will just stop working, and be a thing of past times, but reading this I wondered if it would run Linux?
It will, as long as you have the correct drivers. Microsoft uses mainstream chips in their Surface series so the chance of Linux running on it is 99,9%
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic