Lion Statue Dug Up during Works on Phnom Penh's Riverside

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Lion Statue Dug Up during Works on Phnom Penh's Riverside

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: A large stone statue of a "lion", suspected of being an ancient artifact, was found buried in the ground at the construction site of a Japanese financed clean water project on the riverside at Preah Sisowath Quay, Daun Penh district.
At 4:30pm on Friday, 4 September 2020, the excavators came across a large mass of rock buried more than 2 meters from the surface. The works were suspended and the authorities were informed when it became apparent that they had dug up a statue .
Mr. Sam Piseth, Director of the Department of Public Works and Transport of Phnom Penh was called to the scene, and officials from the Department of Culture and Fine Arts came down to clean and inspect the statue.
Photos Kohsantepheap
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Lion Statue Dug Up during Works on Phnom Penh's Riverside

Post by atst »

Good on the workers for stopping and not just ripping it up
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Lion Statue Dug Up during Works on Phnom Penh's Riverside

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Massive Lion Sculpture Uncovered in Cambodia
Friday, September 11, 2020

PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA—According to a report in The Phnom Penh Post, two pieces of a six-foot-tall statue of a lion were unearthed by mine-clearing experts preparing the site of a new groundwater reservoir along the Tonle Sap River. Hab Touch of Cambodia’s Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts said the large size of the statue suggests it may have been part of a bridge. Further study of the sculpture at the National Museum could offer clues to when it was carved. “We cannot make assumptions of the lion that we found during mine clearance for the reservoir plan because we don’t have any connections regarding the statue,” explained museum director Chhay Visoth. “Normally, we can know the date of an artifact by identifying other things around it.” To read about a bodhisattva statue discovered in Angkor, go to "Around the World: Cambodia."
https://www.archaeology.org/news/9020-2 ... ion-statue
Last edited by Username Taken on Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link to Around the World: Cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic