Philippines

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Philippines

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

truffledog wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:13 am
NitNoi wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:51 pm Other posters raise concerns about safety but provinces are well protected. Each town has several barangays, each with an elected captain and a local "tannod" security force. These men get a small allowance and patrol their barangay at night. Local problems are resolved at the barangay level by people who know and understand their neighbors. While serious crimes involve the National Police, most disputes are settled at this local level.

Armed guards ARE stationed at banks, malls and other potential targets but their job is to open the door and give confidence to customers. After too much alcohol there sometimes are fights between young men but this is the same everywhere and does not involve foreigners. Pick pockets are a menace in Manila (I have been caught twice) so keeping yous wits about you in crowds and leaving valuables at home is a good idea. I took risks when I was younger (down a dark lane to score weed etc) but I have never been physically threatened.
Walking around at night I never really felt "safe" in any of the bigger cities i visited in the Philippines. Having armed guards even at McDo and metal bars in most of the smallest shops (with probably a gun behind the counter?) sure dont feed my safety feelings.
would you feel safer with all those armed guards around, or walking around with no armed guards around at all lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 pm
NitNoi wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:51 pm Other posters raise concerns about safety but provinces are well protected. Each town has several barangays, each with an elected captain and a local "tannod" security force. These men get a small allowance and patrol their barangay at night. Local problems are resolved at the barangay level by people who know and understand their neighbors. While serious crimes involve the National Police, most disputes are settled at this local level.

Armed guards ARE stationed at banks, malls and other potential targets but their job is to open the door and give confidence to customers. After too much alcohol there sometimes are fights between young men but this is the same everywhere and does not involve foreigners. Pick pockets are a menace in Manila (I have been caught twice) so keeping yous wits about you in crowds and leaving valuables at home is a good idea. I took risks when I was younger (down a dark lane to score weed etc) but I have never been physically threatened.
Walking around at night I never really felt "safe" in any of the bigger cities i visited in the Philippines. Having armed guards even at McDo and metal bars in most of the smallest shops (with probably a gun behind the counter?) sure dont feed my safety feelings.
would you feel safer with all those armed guards around, or walking around with no armed guards around at all lol
I would feel safer without the drunken armed forces and their guns, but up to you :rambo: The pissed up police are a problem in whatever country.
The only time I felt unsafe in the Philippines was when police or army arrived on the scene.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:20 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:04 pm

I would feel safer without the drunken armed forces and their guns, but up to you :rambo: The pissed up police are a problem in whatever country.
The only time I felt unsafe in the Philippines was when police or army arrived on the scene.
as mentioned earlier in the thread ive only spent a month in philippines so i can only comment on what ive seen myself, which aint a great deal and obviously the longer you stay somewhere the more shit you see etc,
ive been told many scary stories of the philippines and was expecting the worse, but found it no worse than Cambodia, i only passed through Manila a couple of times though and it did look a lot shadier there, up in Pampanga where i was though it seemed fine, found the guys with guns pleasant, maybe they like guys with tattoos :plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by numacsys »

Why then are you all here in Asia if your countries are such flawless, perfect and spotless places to live in? Is it to pretend that this part of the planet is a natural extension of your country’s borders? Endless criticizing of us Asians and yet you have the audacity to come here as (lest you forget) guests, hungry for jobs or just about any opportunity to stay here endlessly, ungrateful for a chance to escape from sub-zero temps, pathologically dysfunctional and impersonal families and neighbors, morbidly obese partners and better halves, joblessness and those stubborn criminal records that just won’t go away. Dipping into your overdrafts or credit lines to pay for those expensive tickets so you can come here and openly pretend to be the better species. The pinnacle of hypocrisy.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

numacsys wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:54 am Why then are you all here in Asia if your countries are such flawless, perfect and spotless places to live in? Is it to pretend that this part of the planet is a natural extension of your country’s borders? Endless criticizing of us Asians and yet you have the audacity to come here as (lest you forget) guests, hungry for jobs or just about any opportunity to stay here endlessly, ungrateful for a chance to escape from sub-zero temps, pathologically dysfunctional and impersonal families and neighbors, morbidly obese partners and better halves, joblessness and those stubborn criminal records that just won’t go away. Dipping into your overdrafts or credit lines to pay for those expensive tickets so you can come here and openly pretend to be the better species. The pinnacle of hypocrisy.
You feel better now? :bow:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

numacsys wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:54 am Why then are you all here in Asia if your countries are such flawless, perfect and spotless places to live in? Is it to pretend that this part of the planet is a natural extension of your country’s borders? Endless criticizing of us Asians and yet you have the audacity to come here as (lest you forget) guests, hungry for jobs or just about any opportunity to stay here endlessly, ungrateful for a chance to escape from sub-zero temps, pathologically dysfunctional and impersonal families and neighbors, morbidly obese partners and better halves, joblessness and those stubborn criminal records that just won’t go away. Dipping into your overdrafts or credit lines to pay for those expensive tickets so you can come here and openly pretend to be the better species. The pinnacle of hypocrisy.
:please:
so rather than knock everyone you think fits into your world yet you don't know
are you in SE asia?

and if so, why are you here?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Well, since you've asked, I am in Asia because most Asian men are built too small to please their women. I'm only here to help. Are you happy now?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Numacsys, are you from Philippines?
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

The thread is about the Philippines and looking at the comments it doesn't look like "all here" have chosen to live there for the reasons they have given. I've never read on here the Philippines being endlessly criticised, this is probably the first time it's been specifically discussed and it's interesting to hear other posters experience of the place.

I enjoy where I live, Thailand in my case, and my reasons for coming here and the way I behave and think about life in the country don't fit any of the charachteristics/profile you describe. I don't sweat the small stuff and it would seem my concerns of the bigger more important issues facing the country are in tune with the younger future generation which I'm comfortable with.

I left my country when I was 15, no choice in the matter, but if my invitation to stay here was ever terminated I quite like the prospect of returning. At my stage of life it would be a new adventure and as with anywhere I choose to live the positives would far outweigh any negatives.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

You are Asian with a German bank account, who travels to Germany and cites German social benefits as examples. You have been in Cambodia 11 years and have a vocabulary that would be in the to 20th percentile of native English speakers. Infact you not only have the vocabulary but the writing style and idioms of someone who was educated in the western world. You don t claim to be Khmer so I assume you are not.

Why are you here?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic