Khmer Rouge Killing Intellectuals

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Khmer Rouge Killing Intellectuals

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:54 am
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:09 am
amatuertrader wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:47 am
1. whoremongers
2. former whoremongers
3. alcoholics
4. people that drink too much
5. wiseguys
6. keyboard warriors
7. legitimate teachers
8. make believe teachers
9. tourists who found a way to stay long term
10. trolls and sock puppets
11. people that are not Cambodian expats and posting from some other place
12. scalawags, rapscallions and wanna be pirates
Do I get one point for each one I check off? I got a 6, btw.
dam i only got 4, ( had to look up rapscallions) :beer3:
A type of onion, I think.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

amatuertrader wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:47 am It has been suggested that I am not interested in finding the truth to a question I posed.

I do appreciate the efforts made to enlighten me but this not a university debate club, this is an internet discussion forum filled mostly by people that fall into one or more of the following categories:

1. whoremongers
2. former whoremongers
3. alcoholics
5. wiseguys
6. keyboard warriors
7. legitimate teachers
8. make believe teachers
Was that really necessary...even as a joke?

The more posts, the more a fit in No 10 sounds about right.
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:50 am
amatuertrader wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:47 am It has been suggested that I am not interested in finding the truth to a question I posed.

I do appreciate the efforts made to enlighten me but this not a university debate club, this is an internet discussion forum filled mostly by people that fall into one or more of the following categories:

1. whoremongers
2. former whoremongers
3. alcoholics
5. wiseguys
6. keyboard warriors
7. legitimate teachers
8. make believe teachers
Was that really necessary...even as a joke?

The more posts, the more a fit in No 10 sounds about right.

I apologize if my list offended anyone.

I don't know anyone here but I assumed they reflect the typical group of expats I have met over the years in SEA.

I couple of posters have already bragged about how many categories they fall into.

I myself have fit into 6 maybe 7 of those over the years.

I seriously don't know what your objection to my list is.
You know thees guys better than anyone, can you offer a more appropriate list?

[Mod edit: take a day off for trolling this topic and not the first time either]
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I regret posting on this thread.
IMO it has been the plaything of a troll.
This subject.
FFS.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:24 pm I regret posting on this thread.
Not at all.

I, personally, got a lot out of yours and others genuine contributions to this thread, OP notwithstanding. :thumb:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Thanks Brody, i appreciate that.
Yeah, in general it was really good to catch the whole KR discussion.(the Duch thread partic)

In case you hadn't noticed :D this is a subject dear to my heart. and one that has taken both my head and heart to some very very dark places. (its a big part of why i am so gnarly so often today).
Personally i like the idea of this whole story to continued to be discussed and reviewed, and it is reassuring that there is still a small core of us who still hold an interest.
So thanks everybody. I'm a bit drained and off on a bit of break again. a bit lighter.

ps !!! keep the discussion going, there are three whole universes of material out there to be explored.. new material, new interps...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:24 pm I regret posting on this thread.
IMO it has been the plaything of a troll.
Whether it was a troll's plaything or not, the serious contributions are interesting. As someone who grew up with this era in the news, along with the Vietnam war, it has always held some fascination for me. Keep it coming, don't let the buggers get you down.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Queef wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 am The Khmer Rouge killing intellectuals sounds like such a bizarre thing to do, and they also tried to kill all teachers, educated people and even people who wore glasses.
Not bizarre at all. The KR leaders were educated and knew exactly that an educated population was more likely to think and become rebellious. That's not proper to the KR. Most authoritarian regimes will do whatever it takes to keep their population
as uneducated as possible.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:26 pm
Queef wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 am The Khmer Rouge killing intellectuals sounds like such a bizarre thing to do, and they also tried to kill all teachers, educated people and even people who wore glasses.
Not bizarre at all. The KR leaders were educated and knew exactly that an educated population was more likely to think and become rebellious. That's not proper to the KR. Most authoritarian regimes will do whatever it takes to keep their population
as uneducated as possible.
Robespierre, one of the great inspirations for the Khmer Rouge.

“If you read the history of the French Revolution, there is a fascinating but terribly bloody period called La Terreur--
the terror--during which the revolutionaries began by cutting off the heads of the king and the aristocrats and, after that, making "a terror" among them-selves. Those French-educated Cambodians were fascinated by La Terreur. And when they came back from France, they wanted to make a revolution.” Sihanouk interview with Playboy magazine - 1987

“ The revolutionary government owes to the good citizen all the protection of the nation; it owes nothing to the Enemies of the People but death.” Robespierre
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic