New Traffic Laws in Force From 1 May 2020

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: New Traffic Laws in Force From 1 May 2020

Post by AndyKK »

aem wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:56 am So do they just check for helmets, mirrors and rules violations or are they also checking licenses (which you should nit need for less than 125cc) and registration cards? I am a little concerned about them checking registration as my bike is used, so the only thing I have to prove that it is mine is the handwritten receipt that I got when purchasing it many years ago.
aem as far has I am aware the bike must be registered by law, but being a second hand bike you can't register it, you can only register a brand new bike, or that of an import that has never been registered in someone's name before in Cambodia. You can get a Khmer to register it in their name, but give you permission to ride it. I have seen that this is the way, and like people say you need to trust that person, but I would think some type of document could be drawn up so they could not take it from you or sell it.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

offroadscholar wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am
beaker wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:37 am
Barangs need a license to drive any moto that is 50cc and up and they absolutly will take your moto. You don't legally own the bike the person who has the card does. They will have to get it from the police then give it to you, good luck with that.
If thats the case (and I'm not saying it is or isnt), then renting motos to tourists would be over, given Cambodia does not recognize Intl Drivers License, and tourists cant get a Cambo drivers license without a 6 month+ rental contract and residency letter.
I do acknowledge there's not that many tourists here at the moment though.
That would be a good thing. Now I just see long term morons with a deathwish not wearing a helmet rather than blokes just in wife beaters and flips flops trying to be cool on their holiday without any idea of how traffic here is lethal versus back home.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From the Kampot Noticeboard social media page today:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

gf showed me a video on her fb fed this morning of the chaos at the drivers license office yesterday
No social distancing there at all

Just guessing/
how many khmers do you all think have a license? 20, 40, 60%
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: Report from the Phnom penh Police Department of Traffic and Public Order: On June 25, 2020, a total of 1,438 vehicles, including 988 motorbikes, were fined in accordance with Sub-Decree 39.

In particular, over the course of 25 days (from 1 to 25 June), a total of 28,583 motor vehicles, including 21,002 motorcycles, were fined in accordance with Sub-Decree 39 all over the country.

The report, which assesses the 25-day period of June, found that the implementation of the new sub-decree in vehicle fines had worked well. Police esteem that more road users are now respecting the traffic rules.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

New crackdown on noisy motos. A lot to be said for this policy.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:28 pm
New crackdown on noisy motos. A lot to be said for this policy.
Yes there is a lot to be said, nosey exhaust 100,000riel fine, if all three was on the moto with no helmet, 60,000riel fine each, total 280,000riel or $70. That alone is a hefty fine alone for a young Khmer girl. I wonder if the re-education lesson was in place of the fine, or before the moto was confiscated because they could not possibly pay that amount. I would doubt that any of the young girls even knew about baffles in an exhaust. I would have thought it would have been a better education in this case too take the girls to a repair shop to have the exhaust silenced and pay the bill, then inflicting permanent damage to some poor juveniles eardrum. :facepalm:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Thorix
Tourist
Denmark

Post by Thorix »

offroadscholar wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am ...given Cambodia does not recognize Intl Drivers License, and tourists cant get a Cambo drivers license without a 6 month+ rental contract and residency letter.
I went to the Driver's Department (Or whatever it is called) in Phnom Penh 2 days ago with my IDP. They took that one along with my own country licence and even a third country licence. My IDP was expired, however they told me that driving with an IDP, along with your country's licence, your moto 's documentation and your passport is ok in Cambodia.

May some cop disagreeing with the law would give you shit at some checkpoint is another story, but IDP (1 year permit, 1949 convention) is recognized by law here, and this info comes from the source that is suposse to have a word on the matter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic