The Great Firewall Expands to Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: The Great Firewall Expands to Cambodia?

Post by whatwat »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 am
whatwat wrote:It’s ok. I’ve downloaded a few copies of Pretty Woman and Brokeback Mountain just in case.
Seven Years in Tibet would irritate the PRC masters a lot more.
Meh. I doubt it’d even be on their radar.

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t watching you.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

whatwat wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 am Seven Years in Tibet would irritate the PRC masters a lot more.

That movie got Disney banned from the PRC for quite a while.

It all depends on how much pull the masters have.

That coupled with Iron Man’s latest advisory on words to avoid, tends to ratchet up the paranoia level.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:05 am
whatwat wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 am Seven Years in Tibet would irritate the PRC masters a lot more.

That movie got Disney banned from the PRC for quite a while.

It all depends on how much pull the masters have.

That coupled with Iron Man’s latest advisory on words to avoid, tends to ratchet up the paranoia level.
Not true, (7 years in Tibet was filmed in 97, Brad pit was banned, ( since cancelled))

its was "Kundun"
Disney, which has long eyed China’s booming box office and growing middle class, has a history of running into political sensitivities in China. In 1996, the company was shut out of China’s film market after it angered officials with its backing of “Kundun,” Martin Scorsese’s 1997 film that is seen to be sympathetic to the Dalai Lama.
The release of Disney’s original “Mulan” animated film from 1998 was delayed for a year as a result of Beijing punishing the company over “Kundun.” It was not until Disney bought the foreign distribution rights to two Chinese feature films, hired a Chinese performance troupe to participate in the European release of “Mulan” and floated the idea of opening a theme park in the country that Chinese officials finally approved the release of the film in February 1999. Later that year, Disney announced plans to build a park in Hong Kong.
The new Mulan is getting lots of kick back from westerners (its worth seeing, available on torrent) cause of where it was filmed
Disney’s live-action remake of “Mulan” has drawn a fresh wave of criticism for being filmed partly in Xinjiang, the region in China where Uighur Muslims have been detained in mass internment camps.

It began blowing up again on Monday, when several social media users noticed that in the film’s credits, Disney thanked eight government entities in Xinjiang, a region in China’s Far West that is home to the Uighurs. The predominantly Muslim, Turkic-speaking ethnic minority have lived for years under increasingly expansive surveillance and repression in the region.

The entities mentioned in the movie’s credits included the police bureau in Turpan, an ancient Silk Road city in eastern Xinjiang that has a large Uighur population. Last October, the Trump administration placed that bureau and other police organizations in Xinjiang on a blacklist that forbids U.S. companies to sell or supply products to them.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/worl ... j_CJ3i8X2Y

FYI:
whats the big deal? Thailand blocks some sites and using hola i can see whatever i want...

Most people know how to get to see any "blocked" sites
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:41 am

whats the big deal? Thailand blocks some sites and using hola i can see whatever i want...

Most people know how to get to see any "blocked" sites
For now, but it's only a matter of time before govts manage to easily find a way of blocking VPN's and the like - they are hardly foolproof
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

In China, they prevent foreigners from doing online banking with a bank in another country. If they do the same, it may make life difficult for people with bank accounts in their home country.

It will result in some people permanently leaving Cambodia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic