Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

The military junta were in their element closing everything down, imposing curfews, issuing restrictive orders and fines for non compliers, that's the kind of sledgehammer approach that is their bread and butter.

The harder task of forming and communicating a coherent strategy to exit the situation with as little damage as possible is unsurprisingly proving difficult for their limited ability. It's not helped by the bureaucratic nature of the state, where there are multiple agencies, departments and committees at central, regional and local level all singing from different hymn sheets on a daily basis.

Prayut and his cohorts are a bunch of headless chickens doing more u-turns than a sukhumvit road. Hardly surprising the new Finance Minister only lasted. 2 weeks.

Sit back and wait for some substance to the daily noise.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

!!!!!!

Tourists to get unlimited 30-day extensions to stay after ‘visa amnesty’ ends
PHUKET: Foreigners staying in the country on any form of tourist visa will be allowed to repeatedly renew their permits to stay with immigration for periods of 30 days at a time after the ‘visa amnesty’ ends on Sept 26, the Immigration Bureau announced today (Sept 3).
https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourists- ... -77201.php

No mention if they need to pay or not
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

more reversal;
The Tourism Authority of Thailand says plans to re-open Phuket to foreign tourists are likely to be delayed as a result of the country’s first local case of Covid-19 in over 3 months. TAT governor, Yuthasak Supasorn, was speaking as officials visited the island to meet with local businesses and discuss disease prevention measures and preparations for a scheduled October 1 opening, under tight restrictions.

The government had been hoping to allow around 200 Australian and New Zealand visitors to come to Phuket, provided they tested negative for Covid-19 prior to departure and carried out 14 days’ quarantine on arrival. After 14 days, if the plan had gone ahead, the travellers would be free to leave their quarantine accommodation and travel around Phuket, although travel elsewhere in Thailand would require an additional 7 days’ quarantine… or so the ‘plan’ went.

Unfortunately, this plan failed to take into account that Australians are currently not allowed leave their country and the New Zealand government is advising its citizens not to travel overseas unless it is an urgent matter. In any case, it now looks like the plan, aka. the “Phuket Model”, has hit another bump in the road as authorities confirm the Kingdom’s first case of community transmission after 100 days of zero community transmissions.
https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuk ... -postponed

I expect this to go on till a vaccine is approved, forget tourism worldwide for awhile.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Phuket is dead and cant see a miracle happening anytime soon.

Mr Phiphat said a concern was poor communication of the tourism issues “that may not be 100% complete”, which he said would likely delay the launch of the Phuket Model to allow tourists to return, evne with precautionary measures to prevent an outbreak of COVID-19 on the island.

I believe that the Phuket Model is likely to not start on Oct 1, mainly due to fear among Phuket people,” he said.

Mr Phiphat also said that he recognised that “about 90% of the income generated in the province is from tourism”.
and Samui, Koh Chang, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao etc etc
Pattaya maybe 75%
https://www.thephuketnews.com/fears-dri ... kVDTDIlvgc
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:25 pm Phuket is dead and cant see a miracle happening anytime soon.

Mr Phiphat said a concern was poor communication of the tourism issues “that may not be 100% complete”, which he said would likely delay the launch of the Phuket Model to allow tourists to return, evne with precautionary measures to prevent an outbreak of COVID-19 on the island.

I believe that the Phuket Model is likely to not start on Oct 1, mainly due to fear among Phuket people,” he said.

Mr Phiphat also said that he recognised that “about 90% of the income generated in the province is from tourism”.
and Samui, Koh Chang, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao etc etc
Pattaya maybe 75%
https://www.thephuketnews.com/fears-dri ... kVDTDIlvgc
" mainly due to fear among Phuket people"

No shit Sherlock, wonder where this fear came from in the first place
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

IF this truly happens it will be the greatest thing for phuket,
300 tourists week>> now if that is not good news, i dont know what is>>> :beer3: :popcorn:

"Phuket Model" still alive - But end of year trial may see maximum of 300 tourists per week
A severely scaled down version of the so-called Phuket Model is still on the table for the opening up of Thailand to foreign tourists, a report by Bangkok Biz News suggested.

He said that the plan to start the model by October 1st would not be met but he hoped that a limited version will be in place for the last two months of the year when "tourists traditionally seek the warmth of Thailand to escape the winter".

He mentioned a three stage plan that would see only one to three flights landing from abroad in Phuket per week with a cap of 300 tourists for a trial period.
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/118164 ... ny-os3Aj0M
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

and how does one get to be among the '300' chosen ones?

Sounds great, spend up to 10k to sit in a hotel room for 3 weeks and look out of the window - think I'll blow all my savings for that one!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Businesses aren't going to open for as few as 300 tourists a week so chances are with 2 weeks quarantine added in you're going to have a fairly crap holiday with a severely limited choice of restaurants etc. I can personally accept living in a semi ghost town but there is no way I'd travel 1,000's of miles at great expense to holiday in one.

Which brings me to a point I hadn't really considered before, if as seems likely the opening is a gradual one the pain is going to continue longer than I thought. Closed business slowly start to reopen as numbers pick up spreading any benefit even more thinly to those that stayed open through the pain. Absolute nightmare for business owners.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Don't worry. They'll get the tourism situation all sorted out after the next coup.

Priorities...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

sigmoid wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:31 pm Don't worry. They'll get the tourism situation all sorted out after the next coup.

Priorities...
I think another military coup could be ultimate definition of a hard sell, especially at the present time. They'd only be overthrowing themselves anyway.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic