Nigerian Online Scam Gang Arrested in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Nigerian Online Scam Gang Arrested in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: On 5 September 2020, 3 Nigerians and 1 Cambodian were detained by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for fraud and money laundering, after an investigation led by the Department of Technology Crimes of the Cambodian National Police.

The National Police commissioner, General Neth Savoeun, ordered an investigation after receiving a complaint on August 29, 2020.
The Technology Crime Department, in cooperation with the Russey Keo District Police Inspectorate and the Meanchey District Police Inspectorate of the Phnom Penh Municipal Police, made an inquiry into the allegation of online fraud and money laundering, and they arrested four suspects:
1:Bun Sreylen, female, 31 years old, Cambodian , 2: EBENEZER OYETORAN, male, Nigerian, 3: OYETORAN MARGARET IBDUNNI, female, Nigerian, and 4: IBEH HENRY, male, 46 years old, Nigeria.
All four suspects were sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for legal action.

The suspects swindled money through social media, persuading locals and foreigners to send money to Cambodia through remittance agencies and some banks. After withdrawing the money, the suspects sent the money to the leader of the organization, receiving dividends according to their respective roles, and then the ringleader set up a fund to buy real estate in order to clean up the money from fraud before it sending back to their country.

The four accused have been remanded in custody by an investigating judge and taken to the police agency of the Department of Technology Crimes of the Technology Crimes Unit (M1).

Lt. Gen. Chea Pov, Director of the Department, would like to remind the people to be very careful of scammers, if this happens, please file a complaint at the Department of Technology Crimes.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Prof
Tourist

Re: Nigerian Online Scam Gang Arrested in Phnom Penh

Post by Prof »

It is a pity that things like this happened but it would have been better to get to the bottom of this allegation before posting pictures of people who could be innocent. I personally know The Oyetoran couple. They are not crooks but Missionaries who have been helping Cambodia and Cambodian people for more than a decade. Your post should have used the word “allegedly”. I am confident that Ebenezer and Margaret Oyetoran have been wrongfully roped into the mess but it will be a shame if after they are exonerated you do not do another story to clear their names.
I urge everyone who is a Christian on this platform to please treat this distasteful post with caution.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Oh my mate the Prince, had billions to give away but nobody answered his emails.
simon.sayed
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by simon.sayed »

There just more bloody Nigerian scammers hiding under the banner of God:

A pastor of the Redeemed Christian church of God, his wife and church members has been reportedly arrested for fraud in Cambodia.

They were arrested by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for fraud and money laundering after the force of the Department of Technology Crimes of the General The National Police led an investigation..

The arrests came after a complaint made on August 29, 2020.

https://odincenews.com/2020/09/redeemed ... hotos.html

They run a school next to Stung Meanchey flyover called REDEEMED MARANATHA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL. They employed a SA friend of mine.

https://opencorporates.com/companies/kh/00012736
MacShroom
Tourist
Uruguay

Post by MacShroom »

these nigerian scams have been going on for years.
Christian churches have been scamming people across Africa and the Western Hemisphere for ages.
Not a surprise to see them in Cambodia.
Similar to the beg packers...it is like some gypsy cult around the World who have perfectly penned signs in any language. You see vagabonds, couples, families with signs made by someone with skill and education.
Let the court sort it out.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

For information: Maranatha is a Seventh-day Adventist Christian mission organization.
https://opencorporates.com/companies/kh/00012736
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Prof wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:14 am It is a pity that things like this happened but it would have been better to get to the bottom of this allegation before posting pictures of people who could be innocent. I personally know The Oyetoran couple. They are not crooks but Missionaries who have been helping Cambodia and Cambodian people for more than a decade. Your post should have used the word “allegedly”. I am confident that Ebenezer and Margaret Oyetoran have been wrongfully roped into the mess but it will be a shame if after they are exonerated you do not do another story to clear their names.
I urge everyone who is a Christian on this platform to please treat this distasteful post with caution.
Ebenezer and Margaret Oyetoran have been arrested, NOT "alleged" arrested. They have been accused, and a judge has ordered they be detained in prison on charges of fraud and money laundering.
If you have evidence that these charges against them are false, then by all means feel free to post it here.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Tracomtico
Tourist

Post by Tracomtico »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:30 pm
Prof wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:14 am It is a pity that things like this happened but it would have been better to get to the bottom of this allegation before posting pictures of people who could be innocent. I personally know The Oyetoran couple. They are not crooks but Missionaries who have been helping Cambodia and Cambodian people for more than a decade. Your post should have used the word “allegedly”. I am confident that Ebenezer and Margaret Oyetoran have been wrongfully roped into the mess but it will be a shame if after they are exonerated you do not do another story to clear their names.
Ebenezer and Margaret Oyetoran have been arrested, NOT "alleged" arrested. They have been accused, and a judge has ordered they be detained in prison on charges of fraud and money laundering.
If you have evidence that these charges against them are false, then by all means feel free to post it here.
I dont think you understand the Cambodian justice system or the corruption involved. Yes they have been arrested because someone is sueing them and they have provided some form of evidence. These people will sit in jail for six months or longer before they get the chance to present their evidence and the courts decision will not be made public so we will never know. It could happen to anyone. In Cambodia evidence is not even needed. I could make a claim against you and you could sit in jail for six months, or maybe even life if I made a deal with your lawyer that pays better then what you are paying him.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

So you'll believe the Bible but this is far fetched??
Rightio then.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

rozzieoz wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:12 pm
So you'll believe the Bible but this is far fetched??
Rightio then.
"Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix." :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic