How easy is it to be self mobile (getting a local moto licence)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How easy is it to be self mobile (getting a local moto licence)

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:29 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:05 am Well this thread has cleared up something for me. I'd been wondering if I could change my Australian motorcycle licence for a Cambodian one, because the AU one expires soon and I can't renew it without rocking up to Sydney for an eye test. But it seems not. Not actually riding a moto here but it's handy to have a licence on hand for ID as opposed to carrying a passport around. Hopefully no-one will notice my AU licence has expired in the future.
Even if you did convert your AU licence (I think they wouldn't for a soon to expire one), you nevertheless would still have to show a current OS licence when you renew your cambo one next year. They certainly checked mine a few months ago.
Anyway it's a moot point. No licence for me. I'm unlikely to buy a moto now I think anyway. Bicycle has been really good, and I can get a Grab for the longer trips. Just seems like an unnecessary expense to buy a moto. I've spent more on parking my bike than I did on the bike. Need to move somewhere with parking included.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: How easy is it to be self mobile (getting a local moto licence)

Post by atst »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:05 am Well this thread has cleared up something for me. I'd been wondering if I could change my Australian motorcycle licence for a Cambodian one, because the AU one expires soon and I can't renew it without rocking up to Sydney for an eye test. But it seems not. Not actually riding a moto here but it's handy to have a licence on hand for ID as opposed to carrying a passport around. Hopefully no-one will notice my AU licence has expired in the future.
I wear glasses and it's on my license, I renewed my car license online in Sydney in April only problem is they mail out the new license to your address on the license. That wasn't a problem for me as I was stuck there anyway
I've got a Cambodia bike license for 10 years but nobody wants to accept it as ID they want my passport
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic