Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum Awarded with UNESCO/Jikji Memory of the World Prize

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

AKP Phnom Penh, September 04, 2020 --
The Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum has won the UNESCO/Jikji Memory of the World Prize for its efforts in preserving documents and photo archive, which are important historical heritage for humanity.

The Paris-based UNESCO decided to give the award to the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum on Aug. 17, said the Cambodian Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts in an announcement made public on Sept. 4.

The Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum is the 8th institution to obtain the prize in 2020, continued the same source, pointing out that the main basis for the award is focused on the preservation of documents, photo archive and the organisation of a common database that makes it easy for the public to find documents.

This award is a testament to the efforts of the Royal Government and the people of Cambodia, in cooperation with international partners, in preserving documents as evidence for humanity as a whole to learn in order to prevent the recurrence of genocide in Cambodia and the world.

According to UNESCO’s online source, the purpose of Jikji Memory of the World Prize is to commemorate the inscription of the Buljo jikji simche yojeol, the oldest existing book of movable metal print in the world, on the Memory of the World Register, and to reward efforts contributing to the preservation and accessibility of documentary heritage as a common heritage of humanity.

Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum is the memorial site of the S-21 interrogation and detention centre of the Khmer Rouge regime (1975-1979). Located in the heart of Phnom Penh, it preserves evidence of a tragic period in Cambodian history with the aim of encouraging visitors to be messengers of peace.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum Awarded with UNESCO/Jikji Memory of the World Prize

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

i'll agree with that

I cannot imagine a more all round perfectly apt memorial for the Toul Sleng horror than as it now stands.
(and for all of the KR crimes to some extent)

It is so easy to access the personal events of the victims who were imprisoned inside, each as an individual human person.
About as close as you can possibly get 45 years later i reckon.
You can certainly experience a taste of real horror terror agony and anguish.
Just a glimpse, but nevertheless, enough to rock your soul.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum Awarded with UNESCO/Jikji Memory of the World Prize

Post by John Bingham »

It works pretty well. A whole lot of schools, pagodas, public facilities etc were used as prisons or execution sites. Many local people remember these but they are either still operating or there are only bare walls left if anything. You can't preserve everything as a memorial. The S21 site is the only prison that was preserved. I think most visitors misunderstand the nature of the place, in that the vast majority of the inmates were from within the organization, and a huge proportion of Division 703 who guarded/ manned the prisons found themselves suddenly incarcerated for minor infractions. It was an insane paranoid organization that cannibalized its biggest adherents.
The record of one of the yachtsmen is on display and particularly poignant to me, maybe because he wrote his confession in English and in common with other inmates was forced to admit such absurd ideas. I was recruited by the CIA in my boarding school and the KGB in my local football club etc. I'm still amazed at how dysfunctional and incompetent the Democratic Kampuchea government was. They sold thousands of tons of forest products ( dried geckos/pangolin scales/ rare resins etc) at well below the market price, and besides rice that was all they ever exported. And wasting so many human resources, I feel like they were almost some sort of millennial cult more than a serious communist movement. All about heads on sticks because they didn't bother to read Mao, Marx and Engels etc. They probably read Beria though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

"According to the Communist theory the love of the people, the true love of the people -- for the people is to give the absolute rights to the workers class. I would like to confirm; the true Communist theory is that the love for -- the true love for the people is -- the true love for the people is to provide the absolute ability to implement the proletarian class. Your Honour, the real love of the people is to give the proletarian to realize themselves." Comrade Duch - 6 April 2009, Trial Day 4.

"I had expected to encounter a monster, an inhumane person, but I realized then that things were much more tragic, much more frightening. I realized that in front of me there was a man who looked very much like many friends of mine, a Marxist, a human being who was a Marxist who was prepared to surrender his life for his country for the revolution. He believed in this cause and the ultimate goal of his commitment and his belief was the welfare and wellbeing of the inhabitants of Cambodia. He was fighting
against injustice, inequity and although through the various clichéd descriptions of the Khmer peasant used by the Communist
Khmer propaganda that such a peasant would not necessarily be the completely fabricated archetype. I, myself, in Paris had many
friends who were committed to this Communist revolution and they were looking at events in Cambodia with a gaze that to me was
quite horrifying but it was, in their eyes, justified by the fact that the ends in fact justify the means and that end to justify
those means would be the independence of Cambodia, Cambodia's right to self-determination, putting an end to dire poverty, and
of course the great dreams and hopes for the future. The Cambodians have not been the only people that have killed people for the sake of fulfilling a dream." Francois Bizot - 8 April 2009, Trial Day 6

" to fully measure, appreciate the depth of the horror, one can only do this by fully understanding the humanity in such a person. If we turn these people into monsters, a category apart from human beings with which we can have no identification as human beings -- not identification with what they've done as criminals but identification as human beings -- then I think there is no way we
can have any kind of grasp of what they've perpetrated." Francois Bizot - 9 April 2009, Trial Day 7
Johno35
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Johno35 »

"According to the Communist theory the love of the people, the true love of the people -- for the people is to give the absolute rights to the workers class. I would like to confirm; the true Communist theory is that the love for -- the true love for the people is -- the true love for the people is to provide the absolute ability to implement the proletarian class. Your Honour, the real love of the people is to give the proletarian to realize themselves." Comrade Duch - 6 April 2009, Trial Day 4.

"I had expected to encounter a monster, an inhumane person, but I realized then that things were much more tragic, much more frightening. I realized that in front of me there was a man who looked very much like many friends of mine, a Marxist, a human being who was a Marxist who was prepared to surrender his life for his country for the revolution. He believed in this cause and the ultimate goal of his commitment and his belief was the welfare and wellbeing of the inhabitants of Cambodia. He was fighting against injustice, inequity and although through the various clichéd descriptions of the Khmer peasant used by the Communist Khmer propaganda that such a peasant would not necessarily be the completely fabricated archetype. I, myself, in Paris had many friends who were committed to this Communist revolution and they were looking at events in Cambodia with a gaze that to me was quite horrifying but it was, in their eyes, justified by the fact that the ends in fact justify the means and that end to justify those means would be the independence of Cambodia, Cambodia's right to self-determination, putting an end to dire poverty, and of course the great dreams and hopes for the future. The Cambodians have not been the only people that have killed people for the sake of fulfilling a dream." Francois Bizot - 8 April 2009, Trial Day 6

" to fully measure, appreciate the depth of the horror, one can only do this by fully understanding the humanity in such a person. If we turn these people into monsters, a category apart from human beings with which we can have no identification as human beings -- not identification with what they've done as criminals but identification as human beings -- then I think there is no way we
can have any kind of grasp of what they've perpetrated." Francois Bizot - 9 April 2009, Trial Day 7
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Johno35 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:22 am
"I had expected to encounter a monster, an inhumane person, but I realized then that things were much more tragic, much more frightening. Francois Bizot - 8 April 2009, Trial Day 6

" to fully measure, appreciate the depth of the horror, one can only do this by fully understanding the humanity in such a person. If we turn these people into monsters, a category apart from human beings with which we can have no identification as human beings -- not identification with what they've done as criminals but identification as human beings -- then I think there is no way we can have any kind of grasp of what they've perpetrated." Francois Bizot - 9 April 2009, Trial Day 7
And to quote/parphrase a Jewish holocaust researcher who wrote
"the most awful thing you realise after studying these crimes is not to know that others could do these terrible things to you, and to those that you love - but to come to understand that almost every single one of us is capable of doing these things to others - given the right circumstances"

That realisation, in the dark depths of attending these trials, put me in a very grumpy mood about myself, my friends and all of the human race for a few years.
I have still not fully come to grips with it yet - (you can sometimes see it spilling out in my posts) - but it has certainly improved my relationship with my wild animals and birds. I much prefer to spend my life with them nowadays.

Sure there are genuine psychopaths like Duch - but all of the foot soldiers who actually did the torture and murders were just your average Joe.
Same as the "bad Germans", the Rowandans, the Aussies who massacred the aboriginals, those who drop bombs on villagers from 30,000 feet, he Japanese who sacked Nankin.
ie Your local baker or candlestick maker - and the stats say - even you and i.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic