Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Traveling in Times of Coronavirus

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:52 pm Some international direct flights to Beijing will resume tomorrow, 3 September 2020.

China will gradually resume direct international flights to Beijing
02 Sep 2020 04:49PM
BEIJING: China's aviation regulator said on Wednesday (Sep 2) it will resume direct flights to Beijing from eight countries including Thailand, Cambodia, Greece, Denmark, Sweden and Canada from Sep 3.

In March, Chinese authorities ordered all international flights to Beijing to be diverted to other airports as their first port of entry, as the capital stepped up measures to battle imported infections.

The Civil Aviation Administration of China said it would reimpose such curbs if more than three passengers test positive for the coronavirus upon arrival and load factors on such flights would be strictly controlled.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... t-13075572
Sweden eh? With it's no lockdown and open borders policy. How ironic. No mention of the other lucky two countries, I don't suppose it is Australia or the UK, both of which are on Xi Jinping's shit list.

Does this mean they are giving foreigners visas? You know, the people who own business' there and have been banned from coming and seeing their own factories for many months?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

nickin910 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:52 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:27 pm EVA Airlines cancelled my mid-September flight from Bangkok to Taipei on Wednesday last week. The next day, I got an email cancelling Taipei to Canada.

I pretty much knew I was not going -- for many reasons, the key one being I have no idea whether I can return to SEA within 3-4 weeks. Almost definitely not.

The flights were re-bookings from the April cancellations. I have until Dec. 31 to request a refund or re-book this return leg. There was not even a hint of a suggestion that I could rebook in the same week or month, or any other time this year

Hmmm, looks like maybe spring 2021.
I'm flying Singapore Airlines. I leave September the 5th. So far everything's on schedule. All of my bags will be checked through although there will be a layover.

They are allowing certain travelers coming from certain cities or countries to transit through.

Punch in from what city you want to travel from and where you are going to see what comes up for you.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/hk/h ... bookflight
What are your origin and destination cites? Thanks.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:27 pm EVA Airlines cancelled my mid-September flight from Bangkok to Taipei on Wednesday last week. The next day, I got an email cancelling Taipei to Canada.

I pretty much knew I was not going -- for many reasons, the key one being I have no idea whether I can return to SEA within 3-4 weeks. Almost definitely not.

The flights were re-bookings from the April cancellations. I have until Dec. 31 to request a refund or re-book this return leg. There was not even a hint of a suggestion that I could rebook in the same week or month, or any other time this year

Hmmm, looks like maybe spring 2021.
Are you living in Thailand and just planning a visit to Canada? If you leave Thailand will you even be allowed back in?

I am planning a 1 month visit back to London in July 2021 and I am thinking even this might be a bit ambitious for a hassle free return to Cambodia. If I have to go through the same crap as before - tests - more tests - deposit - and 2 days in a hotel (or more if you get unlucky) then I am staying put.

The costs of these flights are looking so expensive and when you factor in all the other expenses like testing and hotels and, of course, $7 a beer, the whole thing becomes very unattractive.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

September 3, 2020
Cambodia flights set to resume as Vietnamese Transport Ministry mulls resumption of flights yet again

If given the green light to plans to resume flights to selective destinations are approved, Vietnam plans to resume flights to Cambodia, Japan, South Korea, Guangzhou, and Laos this month.

Flights from Viet Nam to a number of destinations in Asia could be in operation in two weeks’ time – as the Ministry of Transport will on Thursday submit detailed plans to resume international air travel.

Officials from the ministry are expected to submit a proposal on resuming commercial flights to some Asian countries to the National Steering Committee for COVID-19 Prevention and Control.

Officials from a number of ministries and departments on Tuesday discussed plans to resume international flights, but there are still a number of stipulations that need to be addressed.

All passengers boarding flights to Viet Nam will be subject to a mandatory quarantine period of 14 days, the health ministry said. This requires the defence ministry to make sure their quarantine camps in Ha Nội, HCM City and Can Thơ will be capable of accommodating some 10,400 people. VNS/ Khmer Times
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:22 am
Are you living in Thailand and just planning a visit to Canada? If you leave Thailand will you even be allowed back in?

I am planning a 1 month visit back to London in July 2021 and I am thinking even this might be a bit ambitious for a hassle free return to Cambodia. If I have to go through the same crap as before - tests - more tests - deposit - and 2 days in a hotel (or more if you get unlucky) then I am staying put.

The costs of these flights are looking so expensive and when you factor in all the other expenses like testing and hotels and, of course, $7 a beer, the whole thing becomes very unattractive.

I don't particularly want to return to Thailand for all kinds of reasons, including all the expenses and imprisonment. A number of balls are up in the air, including Cambodia and Vietnam. The one that opens up, without quarantines and big insurance costs, will be the winner. And that won't happen for quite a while either.

At the moment, Canada has a 14-day quarantine at my expense because I don't have a home there any more. Well, I do but it's along way from the landing city. So that's a no-go now and I don't see that changing until well into next year. As for KH and VN: VN's quarantine hotels are not bad, according to reports. But there's no visa now and when they do become available, the current visa range is not very attractive: 90 days and out.

Soooo, every option stinks.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:13 pm

I don't particularly want to return to Thailand for all kinds of reasons, including all the expenses and imprisonment. A number of balls are up in the air, including Cambodia and Vietnam. The one that opens up, without quarantines and big insurance costs, will be the winner. And that won't happen for quite a while either.

At the moment, Canada has a 14-day quarantine at my expense because I don't have a home there any more. Well, I do but it's along way from the landing city. So that's a no-go now and I don't see that changing until well into next year. As for KH and VN: VN's quarantine hotels are not bad, according to reports. But there's no visa now and when they do become available, the current visa range is not very attractive: 90 days and out.

And you can't get here from there either. Cambodia is probably the best place as long as you have the 2k deposit and a bit of insurance. And a Visa of course.

Mexico is still open, it never closed, but it's still a bit fu**ed up down there. Maybe next year Amigo...
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Please, open Thai/Cambo border Haad Lek to Ko Kong.
My pickup already parked 6 months in KK, my darling waiting in PNH (hopefully). I stuck in Pattaya.
This will cost me a second battery this year. WTF!
Anyway no more (fear) of flying for me!
I know nobody interested in this post, but anyway!
Wish you all a nice day and keep stroooong!
Alexmaniax
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:13 pm

thought u just got ur 1 year renewal for thailand?

for me, i have not mined being "stuck" here.
Could think of a lot worse places to hang out :-)

Would like to see it open so can visit our land in Kep and start the new house build :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:02 pm

thought u just got ur 1 year renewal for thailand?

for me, i have not mined being "stuck" here.
Could think of a lot worse places to hang out :-)

Would like to see it open so can visit our land in Kep and start the new house build :beer3:
I agree, practically and logically, Thailand is a good spot to roost. But I have a long history of moving every 6 months to a year. That's just me. Ants in the pants. Since I could not go anywhere, I had to get a new extension in order to roost another year until options opened up again.

You do have something to look forward to, what with the new Kep homestead and family. Hope it comes sooner rather than later for ya. :thumb:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Angkor Air to Resume Daily Flights Tomorrow
AKP Phnom Penh, September 14, 2020 --

Cambodia Angkor Air, the national flag carrier, is going to resume its services between Phnom Penh capital and Siem Reap cultural province on Sept. 15 thanks to the growing domestic demand as the COVID-19 pandemic has been under control in the country.

“On behalf of the Ministry of Tourism, I’d like to thank the national airline company – Cambodia Angkor Air – for having announced to resume its daily flights from Sept. 15, 2020 onwards,” said H.E. Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism.

“This operation resumption is in line with the growing demand of our domestic tourists in the context that Cambodia has well prevented the COVID-19 spread,” he underlined.

This is also the request of tour operators and investors, added H.E. Thong Khon.

H.E. Minister also expressed his strong hope that Cambodia Angkor Air will consider resuming flights between Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville of Preah Sihanouk province as currently, the road traffic is very crowded due to the increase in the number of cars.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic