Philippine sub-forum

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Philippine sub-forum

Post by amatuertrader »

I have spent considerable time messing around in the Philippines and have some experience that might be useful or interesting to others.
I'm guessing others do as well.

There is a serious shortage of Philippine online discussion forums the last time I looked.

CEO should consider adding a Philippino sub-forum.
It won't cost you anything.
It might be interesting to some.

Online business use to be all about focusing on a defined niche of users, like Amazon.com started out as an online book discounter.

CEO focuses on Cambodian expats but doesn't have to stay stuck in that niche market, why not expand with a Sub-forum for the Philippines?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Philippine sub-forum

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

There were also previous propositions to start a Vietnam based sub-forum, and a special thread on Vietnam was started on General Chatter , but then it died out : post392946.html#p392946
Maybe start up a Philippine news and info ONLY thread in the Rest of the World forum ?
Or if it's about travel, then stick it in On the Road. What does everyone else think ?
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Could always just join a Philippines forum eg Philippines addicks, it's not just mongering topics
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There’s some merit, I suppose. Thailand has its own presence here, and frequent resident posters. While maybe no a Philippine’s specific sub-forum, maybe a halfway solution-

ASEAN sub-forum to differentiate from Rest of the world (non Asia) topics?
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

I looked at Philippine addicts forum and it is 90% centered on sex travel.
I worry about catching an STD just by looking at that smut.

That's not what I had in mind, there are lots of other things about the Philippines like some great beaches, great diving adventures, travel by ferry to thousands of islands, cultural differences between Philippines and SE Asia, etc...

Then there could be travel information like how to get there and where to stay and useful information like where to buy stuff and how to hire a car and driver.

Sure, there is enough information to justify it's own focused forum but Amazon found great value in selling more than just books.

The problem of starting a thread in an existing forum won't really work in my opinion, you won't attract new posters looking for information unless it is prominently displayed in an sub-forum and won't be high in Google search results. Heck, I rarely look in your general topic sub-forums and so would miss anything new posted.

If you could get some interest in it, it may attract not only new viewers which will increase your Adsense $$ but eventually would attract Philippine advertisers.

I'm not trying to give you advice on how to run your forum because I'm nobody and have no idea really.
Except it is something I would like to read and occasionally contribute to.

Your forum is already set up, you have the software, you have moderators, you have your Google money coming in.
I think a Vietnam forum might also be a good idea and why not Myanmar and China forums?

Horizontal growth has worked out well for Amazon.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

maybe do a sub along the lines of the rest of SE-Asia.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Not enough interest, no sub-forums please
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

amatuertrader wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:37 pm Horizontal growth has worked out well for Amazon.
Forget about comparing an expat forum with Amazon.

If we were to follow that business plan, we'd end up with a sub-forum for every country on the planet.

We have a Thai sub-forum because Thailand is the main gateway for travellers to Cambodia, as well as new expats to Cambodia often previously lived in Thailand.
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:56 am
amatuertrader wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:37 pm Horizontal growth has worked out well for Amazon.
Forget about comparing an expat forum with Amazon.

If we were to follow that business plan, we'd end up with a sub-forum for every country on the planet.

We have a Thai sub-forum because Thailand is the main gateway for travellers to Cambodia, as well as new expats to Cambodia often previously lived in Thailand.
So maybe using Amazon was a bad analogy, Thai Visa is a better analogy but I didn't want to suggest that you turn into a sh*thole like that place.

But they have do have regional sub-forums and do quite well financially I have heard.

The argument that there is not enough interest here is probably true, but it could grow into something.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:33 pm There were also previous propositions to start a Vietnam based sub-forum, and a special thread on Vietnam was started on General Chatter , but then it died out : post392946.html#p392946
Maybe start up a Philippine news and info ONLY thread in the Rest of the World forum ?
Or if it's about travel, then stick it in On the Road. What does everyone else think ?
I, who suggested the VN sub-forum, think the Vietnam special thread died out because there's nowhere to go these days and so nothing to talk about. Maybe next year there will be enough to talk about once visa sales and flights resume. Same for the Philippines, another very popular destination.

I like the idea of an ASEAN sub (excluding Thailand). At least as a sub, you can find it quickly and add to it. SEA topics in Rest of World, I think, become buried and forgotten.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic