British Producer, Matthew Robinson, Receives Cambodian Citizenship

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

British Producer, Matthew Robinson, Receives Cambodian Citizenship

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

May 22, 2020
Legendary British film producer receives Cambodian citizenship
Legendary British national, Matthew Robinson was awarded citizenship by the government yesterday, after nearly two decades of living in the kingdom and contributing to its film and television industry.

The producer behind ‘EastEnders’, a renowned British soap opera which won the BAFTA for “Best Soap Opera” in 1999 and 2000 consecutively and ‘Taste of Life’, an iconic HIV-related television drama in Cambodia, told Khmer Times it has always been his dream to become a Cambodian citizen.

“I am really proud and delighted with being bestowed this status,” Matthew said. “I am thankful to the Department of Cinema and the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts for recommending me for citizenship.”

In 2003, Matthew, who was working as Head of Drama at BBC Wales, saw an advertisement in the BBC newspaper for a position of executive producer to produce a health-related drama in Cambodia. Back then, HIV/AIDS was a major problem in Cambodia. Nearly 2 percent of the population were infected and along with other diseases, millions of adults and children were dying every year in the country.

Despite being a filmmaker with more than 30 years experience working on television drama hits like ‘Doctor Who’ and ‘EastEnder’, Matthew, already 58 at that time, decided to apply for the position even though he had never set foot here ever before. He was contracted for three years and that was how ‘Taste of Life’ (known in Khmer as ‘Ros Cheat Chivit’), one of the most-watched drama in the country’s history of that genre, was born.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50726161/l ... tizenship/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: British Producer, Matthew Robinson, Receives Cambodian Citizenship

Post by samrong01 »

Congratulations and best wishes to Mr Robinson.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Good for him, and if my maths are correct he must be 75 now, he looks two decades younger. Cambodia worked well for him!

although I couldn't help notice this brilliant piece of KT journalism...
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:23 am
Nearly 2 per cent of the population were infected and along with other diseases, millions of adults and children were dying every year in the country.
Millions were dying every year in cambodia in 2003 :facepalm:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:26 pm Good for him, and if my maths are correct he must be 75 now, he looks two decades younger. Cambodia worked well for him!

although I couldn't help notice this brilliant piece of KT journalism...
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:23 am
Nearly 2 per cent of the population were infected and along with other diseases, millions of adults and children were dying every year in the country.
Millions were dying every year in cambodia in 2003 :facepalm:
:bow: Classic.
BreJean
Tourist

Post by BreJean »

Congratulations Matthew. You've done so much to help make the world a better place.

Bren
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic