Cambodian food

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Thorix
Tourist
Denmark

Re: Cambodian food

Post by Thorix »

Chuck Borris wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:24 am Agree on street food that you cant compare with TH or VN. But seafood in Kep or Kampot is the best in SE Asia imho. Crab amok in Kep is die for.
Surely there are "some" honorable exceptions like that delicious crab you mention, but that leads me to think that I should have been more precise with my question. I wasn't more into delicious specific dishes (and accordingly expensive) than places in Cambodia where you can rely on local dishes and do not get an upside down stomach or even getting sick at every meal. A place where you can employ your mind in something else than selecting food at the market, hunting for Lucky discounts because regular prices here are an outrageous rip off, and ending up home cooking to survive another day (and save money too). A place where you can travel around and enjoy the country without thinking of food too much because everywhere you sit, food isn't rotten, it is offal or something that even the dog would run away from it.

Surely I had delicious beef in PP a few times. I would go back again and again if it wasn't for the over-over-over-prices. The Oyster House in PP (154) has delicious and fresh seafood too, but again a little bit too pricey. 172 has a few decent western choices as well. But as you all say, you have to go through trial&error to find proper places. Oh boy! I miss TH and VN where mostly everywhere you sit, you get a nice plate of rice or noodles with something in it for 40 baht. Sadly, this isn't the case in KH.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s true that Cambodia’s efforts are nowhere near as good as they could or should be. However, I’ve never once had any upsets from eating street food, here*. I’ve had reactions after eating in some restaurants, just as I have in countries worldwide.

What disappoints me about Cambodian food, and actually in Asia a lot.
Poor meat preparation. It annoys me to get a mouthful of gristle, etc. But locals have no issue with chewing through what we westerners spit out. Is that possibly us having become too finicky?
Poor fish preparation. Again, a mouthful of bones is not so appealing, when often it could have been done better. It ruins an otherwise decent amok.
Too much salt, and MSG.

I’d frequently enjoy chicken from the stand on st136, opposite Route1E6**
Her in doors does a great Ka Sach Chrouk.
Bamjoli?
Kep is great, generally, and raises its game towards thailand’s offerings. There’s some things that I even prefer.

I don’t find it at all difficult to believe that a lot may have been lost during the Khmer Rouge era. Older folks have literacy skills that are missing in the next couple of generations, and seem to indicate a gulf in knowledge. That could easily be mirrored in everything other skills etc.

*(there, currently due the sinobug)
**why...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:56 am have found the GF does a much better amok than any of those places which are to watered down,( not enough coconut milk) and at times no spiciness at all.
Just on that point, Mrs Cargo is surprisingly (to me anyway) quite critical of khmer street food. I don't know whether she is typical of most khmers or maybe even a touch paranoid but she goes on about how many of the street food places:

don't wash the food properly (the veggies mainly)
use lower quality meats
often uses too much sauces/salt/MSG that swamps the true flavour
use too much oil

So she often prefers to buy at the market and cook at home. And I have to say she's very good and we can be assured the food is fresh/clean/healthy.
Thorix
Tourist
Denmark

Post by Thorix »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:10 pm
I’d frequently enjoy chicken from the stand on st136, opposite Route1E6**
Her in doors does a great Ka Sach Chrouk.
Bamjoli?
Kep is great, generally, and raises its game towards thailand’s offerings. There’s some things that I even prefer.
Joting down Kep and Kampot. I had hopes that Battambang was another exception as well, also quieter, where you are less proned to be ripped off than in tourist areas, which is my second concern along with quality. Thanks for your insights.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

It comes from the way they think. In Australia, businesses provide good products and good service to get repeat customers, and a good reputation. In Cambodia, it is about getting your money now. They don't think about wanting you to come back again. Many restaurants sell food they would not eat themselves. One of the problems is, keeping food until it is going off, and including it in meals for customers. They think they make more money that way.

There are a few exceptions, where you can get good food.

I have eaten at a lot of Cambodian homes. Most Cambodians have good food at home. So they can cook good food.

If someone was to have a Cambodian restaurant, and provide the best food, they would have a very successful business. But they only think about getting money today, not getting a good reputation, and repeat business.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Thorix wrote:The Oyster House in PP (154) has delicious and fresh seafood too, but again a little bit too pricey.
Missus’ friends all keep wanting to go to Oyster House. I’ve found the food there overly spicy and salty. Missus gets stomach aches every time afterwards. Being the former eternal traveller in the Kingdom of Wonder, I’m used to paying over 100 USD for a group, so almost all the places are cheap in Cambodia.

Missus’ friends want to go to Oyster House II right next to Oyster House? Is that the difference? Oyster House 1 is less spicy, salty, and MSG riddled than 2?

Maybe I’ve been lucky. Places I’ve gone too have been pretty good.

I especially like 123 Pig and their plate of veggie and meats. Feeds 2 (or more). Being right next to Brooklyn Pizza, taste of both worlds.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Soriya Restaurant, Phnom Penh, around the corner from the Independence Monument there. Very popular with locals, and does nice BBQ and fish, and traditional Khmer dishes. Extensive menu. I've mostly never gone wrong there. More than I can say for almost every other Cambodian restaurant in Cambodia, let alone street food.

Battambang is alright. It's street food is probably up a notch from other towns in Cambodia, some decent places along the river there, and the Chinese noodle man in town. Still not on par with other Asian countries, it lacks character, but a step in the right direction.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Khmer food is pretty decent imo...like all food there is good n bad. I do recall one time in riep that i had a bad bbq wing but that was my fault bc i was drunk, impatient and rushed the cook.

You're not going to find international food on the cheap n good which is understandable.

Open mind and open eyes and open belly... In laws make a bangin ground pork dish thats steamed.... Ugg wish i knew the name and how to make it myself hahah
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic