Should Cambodian university students defer?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Should Cambodian university students defer?

Post by khmerhamster »

explorer wrote:
AndyKK wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:34 am I would have been under the impression that the majority of university students came from that of a wealthy or middle class family background.
There are a lot of university students from poor families. They work and study.
Poor is a relative term. 95% of population is poor compared to most westerners.

Probably lower, middle and upper class is a better descriptor.

If you consider lowest class (poor people) as families with no land assets then i would suggest there are very few of them at 3rd level university. Quite simply the family have other much more pressing priorities.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Should Cambodian university students defer?

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:00 pm
explorer wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:35 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:34 am I would have been under the impression that the majority of university students came from that of a wealthy or middle class family background.
There are a lot of university students from poor families. They work and study.
From my personal experiences with BBU in Ratanakiri I have to say the statement is wrong. it's all middle and upper class. My guess is less than 10% come from poor families, with poor families making up the majority of the population.

There's two major hurdles:

- A grade 12 certificate is required
- Tuition fees are about 600$ a year for the bachelor course, learning materials not included.

On the other hand, they offer part time programs (weekend classes only) so students can work during the weekdays.

But most kids from poor families simply don't make it to grade 12. My guess is a large part won't even make it to (lower) high school.
We see this world wide, I have to admit there are a few exceptions, gifted or funded.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic