The Future

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: The Future

Post by phuketrichard »

cambo swa wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:25 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:00 am Whilst I don’t for a minute pretend that my gas-guzzlers are eco friendly (but they are fun- I subscribe to Will Smith’s character viewpoint), it does astound me the number of seemingly intelligent people who pound on about zero emissions (and renewable energy) electric cars. Where do these loons think the electricity came from- Santa?

I’m caught squarely between my retro need for fossil fuel induced locomotion, and modern/future tech.
As I fall into the "loon" category, the electricity cost to fully charge my car for 650 km of driving is about $6-$7 USD. Depending on location, I assuming gasoline might be a bit more than that. A few hours of charging might be a bit more eco friendly than producing and delivering 75 liters of gasoline. So thank you Santa.
you seem to have forgotten what it takes to make the electricity and the harmful effects it causes the environment ?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

techietraveller84 wrote:As long as coal- or gas-fired power plants are needed to ensure energy supply during the “dark doldrums” when the wind is not blowing and the sun is not shining, EVs, like ICE vehicles, run partly on hydrocarbons.
California has solved this problem. All the plants have been ordered to shut down. If the sun isn’t shining, or the wind blowing, no electricity. Brownouts and blackouts. It is the future. Soon to be imposed onto the rest of America and then the world.

For the good of the planet, of course.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 am
cambo swa wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:25 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:00 am Whilst I don’t for a minute pretend that my gas-guzzlers are eco friendly (but they are fun- I subscribe to Will Smith’s character viewpoint), it does astound me the number of seemingly intelligent people who pound on about zero emissions (and renewable energy) electric cars. Where do these loons think the electricity came from- Santa?

I’m caught squarely between my retro need for fossil fuel induced locomotion, and modern/future tech.
As I fall into the "loon" category, the electricity cost to fully charge my car for 650 km of driving is about $6-$7 USD. Depending on location, I assuming gasoline might be a bit more than that. A few hours of charging might be a bit more eco friendly than producing and delivering 75 liters of gasoline. So thank you Santa.
you seem to have forgotten what it takes to make the electricity and the harmful effects it causes the environment ?
And the fact batteries are notoriously harmful to make, ship and dispose of.
And making people get rid of their old car to buy a new just manufactured ECO produces new emissions all on its own only to be told in 2 years you have to buy a hydrogen car. (Remember when diesel was the new eco vehicle. Now it’s the evil.)
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic