Little confused about day 13 test IN SR

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Little confused about day 13 test IN SR

Post by atst »

TWY wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:50 am We were actually told the same thing basically. When we checked out of the hotel, the manager said in two days we could go and get our deposit back.

I called the 115 number this morning as we are at home now. They told my wife that we can live normal as long as we wear a mask when we go out. I took the phone and asked specifically (in English to be fair) if we have to quarantine at home for 2 weeks and get another test - and the answer given was no. The gentleman then spoke again to my wife and explained that there are too many people to be testing everyone again and track them for quarantine at home.

I told my wife we are going to remain in "quarantine" at home and we'll call back early next week. IF again told no need, then we'll go to retrieve our money.
Good idea stay home for two weeks enjoy, you then can go out knowing that you are not going to give the virus to anyone
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

atst wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:38 am
TWY wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:50 am We were actually told the same thing basically. When we checked out of the hotel, the manager said in two days we could go and get our deposit back.

I called the 115 number this morning as we are at home now. They told my wife that we can live normal as long as we wear a mask when we go out. I took the phone and asked specifically (in English to be fair) if we have to quarantine at home for 2 weeks and get another test - and the answer given was no. The gentleman then spoke again to my wife and explained that there are too many people to be testing everyone again and track them for quarantine at home.

I told my wife we are going to remain in "quarantine" at home and we'll call back early next week. IF again told no need, then we'll go to retrieve our money.
Good idea stay home for two weeks enjoy, you then can go out knowing that you are not going to give the virus to anyone
Just for clarification purposes, I was required to go for a second test. I think the system is evolving all the time and the second test requirements are being abandoned. I think this is a mistake as you can contract this virus in transit and not get caught by the first test at the airport. For me, what was once a bureaucratic nightmare is now a good system of preventing importation of the virus, and the second test should be retained.

aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

But if as stated people are going out to get beers and having sex workers come up to their rooms, then what is the meaning of any of it?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Bit like what's the meaning of traffic speed limits , you can't police stupid.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

atst wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:02 pm Bit like what's the meaning of traffic speed limits , you can't police stupid.
Rules can work, if people agree with and follow them.

If people don't follow them, they don't work. In this case, even one absconder can destroy the whole plan with a single night on the town.

This is how we end up with hypocrisy and selective enforcement.

It's crazy to think that all people are going to voluntarily lock themselves in a hotel room for two weeks. It is just not going to happen. Some people are going to go out. So it makes the whole thing moot.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Just for clarification purposes, I was required to go for a second test. I think the system is evolving all the time and the second test requirements are being abandoned. I think this is a mistake as you can contract this virus in transit and not get caught by the first test at the airport. For me, what was once a bureaucratic nightmare is now a good system of preventing importation of the virus, and the second test should be retained.

----------------------------------------------------------

While I personally agree that they system of including a 2nd test is the best method, based on our own experience I'd venture to say that there isn't the capacity to handle the # of people coming in.

The paper you showed wasn't given to us in any form. The only thing I have stating a 2nd test is necessary is from ACLEDA. They stapled a pamphlet to my receipt that outlined the original process of testing, hotel stay, release, quarantine at home and then 2nd test and certificate. Take that and get your deposit back.

When we left the hotel (which I don't believe is one of the hotels "officially" handling quarantine), the only thing said to us was that we could get our deposit back in two days. No other information was communicated. I showed the manager the paper from ACLEDA and he just looked surprised when reading it and said he didn't know.

When I called the 115 # this morning, it was easier for my wife to speak with them. They told her no need to quarantine at home, just to be careful and wear a mask when going out to the grocery store or market. When she was relaying to me that she could go out and about I took the phone and specifically asked about getting a 2nd test and quarantining at home - and relayed that is what I understood should be happening - the reply was that no 2nd test was needed since we tested negative and the gentleman said no. He then explained in more detail to my wife that there are too many people now for them to track everyone down and give 2nd tests.

I suspect that the fact they have allowed some people to officially come in and not require quarantine and a 2nd test has allowed lower level officials to simply expand that to everyone and lessen their personal work level. Its complacency, and certainly increases the likelihood of an outbreak.
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Rtrac »

If Quarantine x 14 days is followed to the letter, that should prevent community transmission. Testing at the end of a quarantine is another blanket of protection for the populace of Cambodia. If they have the capacity, I think the testing at Day 13 is ideal as behavior interventions work but often people have “fatigue” or are uneducated as to how to follow the “rules”. But, as #s increase, testing is expensive / laborious / and we have seen a global limitation in testing equipment which can easily be overwhelmed.

Cambodia has cheap labor and persons are needing employment now = It would make most sense in them setting up tracking / tracing those who are quarantined vs only relying on testing. Their human capital is vast but their testing capacity is not.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Well..... My wife called again yesterday and was told the same thing.

So today we drove over to ACLEDA. Woman says no, you have to wait 14 days and get a 2nd test and follow THEIR instructions that are attached to the receipt. She also says that nothing is showing in my account from Minister of Health.

So we call back yet again. Person says wait 14 days and get your money back from Minister of Health - that way if I need another test I won't have to pay! (ha, they just meant they would subtract it from the deposit). I told my wife we'll just wait at home for another week and I'll try to go get a test and certificate and then head back to ACLEDA.

I guess its good to know Cambodia hasn't changed that much :)
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Just a quick note for anyone else in Siem Reap.

The test site is down Charles De Gaulle - pretty far down actually. There are a series of different schools set back on the right side - I apologize that I don't remember the exact name but I'll try to remember tomorrow - there was a lot of yellow tape up marking off where there might be a line of people. They only do testing once a day (I didn't think to ask if its the same time every day), so I'll be back tomorrow to get the actual test as the gentleman said no more tests today. They asked for passport and the receipt from your deposit.

Don't bother going to the referral hospital to ask where to go - that was a complete waste of our time. Just go a long way down de Gaulle.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Apologize for not replying with the name of the school. But there is a good reason :)

We went for our tests and there are two young men - I'll take a wild guess and say neither of them are health care professionals - that perform the test. I'll just say this. Prepare for discomfort. I have had probably 15-20 nose/throat swabs done in my life. This was the worst of BOTH. My guess is that they got a 10 minute tutorial and then were given the reins.

They seemed to think that they were to scrape all the way around your throat and nose after inserting the damn thing way beyond what it is designed for. Perhaps we were just there the wrong day and got temps - but if its the same two guys its not a pleasant experience.

Now some useful information. Supposedly, they are testing every morning at 9:30am. BUT they seem to be running things in such a way that you cannot get the test the first day you show up (perhaps that will change as I know a few folks have been fairly upset at having their information taken and then told to come back the next morning).

You should get a phone call telling you the result of the test. Ours took two days. When you get the phone call you go to the referral hospital which is near the old market in Siem Reap - take your passport and cash. The building you want to go to is the one with a flag pole/flag in front of it. If you enter the hospital complex at the main entrance there will be a large group of people milling around the main patient entrance on the left, moto parking on the right - you walk down the road about 30 meters on on your right will be the flagpole.

You go directly in and straight ahead is an administrative office - DO NOT ENTER - just knock on the door and tell them coronavirus test result and show your passport. A woman will collect other information from you including the date you entered Cambodia/1st test and the date you had the test in Siem Reap. They don't have the certificates done beforehand - you will wait. Also, prepare to pay for the certificate in cash - $30. No chance of using your deposit slip. I believe the reason is that they can't get the information entered before you get to the bank.

You will want to check the certificate as its being done manually. Another man was there trying to get them to change a certificate they gave him the previous week as the bank noticed the discrepancy and wouldn't give him his deposit. Make sure you know what date you entered Cambodia and had the test done. That is a manual piece of information on the certificate. If possible I would go in the morning to get the certificate - we went day we got the call in the afternoon - and for whatever reason the administrative offices were closed (at 1:30 pm). You are supposed to have a mask to enter the building - you can purchase at the moto park or at the pharmacy across the street if you forget to bring one (1000 reil).

Happy to report that we had no issues at ACLEDA receiving our deposit back, they took photocopy of certificate and passport and original receipt. Did not get a detailed breakdown of costs but the amount they gave me back was about right.

Hope that helps. Glad to be done with the process - its well intentioned - and we are happy we were allowed to enter the country regardless of the amount of effort/stress/confusion we encountered along the way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic