"No Money" Russian Traveler Arrested for Begging in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: "No Money" Russian Traveler Arrested for Begging in Phnom Penh

Post by khmerhamster »

explorer wrote:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:17 pm He carried a sign asking for money, which was written in Khmer and Chinese and said " I travel around the world without money. Please help me with my journey".
That is a dumb thing to say if you want people to give you money. Possibly he does not understand what is written. Maybe others set him up.
Its a standard sign, many others have used the same sign. There is clearly some online community telling them how to write signs like this in different languages.
The sign is clearly 'drawn' and not written. There is at least one error in the script (that I can see).

It has worked here in the past. Regardless of how stupid/distasteful we find it.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: I don't see a problem with a guy begging for money,I've been in 4 countries in the last 12 months and I would say begging in the west is more vicious than SE Asia,in Oz and Britain the fuckers look like they will slit your throat if you do not play ball,I came out off farmfoods this morning and one clever bugger has sat himself down were you leave your trolly,costs a pound to use which is returned when you take back the trolley,I flipped him the quid and he stood up and walked past me with coins jiggling in his pockets,last seen walking in the pub.Id rather someone beg than mug or steal,look at the idiot in Vietnam.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Id rather someone beg than mug or steal
Oh really?
Your antecedents would indicate otherwise.
You did well to slip away from that murky business you were involved in.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Why do most of these types of stories involve "no passport". I can understand an expired visa but what happens to their passport? He had to have one to enter Cambodia from Vietnam. You are required to have one to check into a guesthouse (although we have seen that is not always true). The border closed in mid-March. Don't think he has been living on the street since then. He certainly doesn't appear malnourished so he has had some source of money and/or food. Anyway, what happens to the passports? Lost it? Stolen? Sold it? Did a runner from a guest house and left it there?
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Why are they accepting money when they're trying to travel the world with no money? That's cheating, disqualified.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^ It seems strange but very true what your saying about the passport, why what's the reason? I wondered if it was too do with their deportation, is it so, that the authorities, immigration only have responsibility to send you back to the country you enter from, and not that of your home country?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:17 am Why are they accepting money when they're trying to travel the world with no money?
Yep, kind of an oxymoron.. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic