Business visa extension without business

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
TerrySB
Tourist
Germany

Business visa extension without business

Post by TerrySB »

I've been in Cambodia since 2012. For the first five years, I just paid about 300 USD for a 1-year business visa. Things got more complicated in 2017; I ended up starting a business. The business never took off, but I kept it open so that I could get the 1-year business visa renewed (I have a child with my Khmer girlfriend and want to be able to stay in the Kingdom all year without leaving). As the years go on, keeping the business open without revenue becomes a costly and time-consuming affair (monthly tax returns, etc.)

How to stay in the KoW without being employed or owning a business (too young for retirement visa)?
Are there any trustworthy agents in Phnom Penh who could provide a yearly visa extension and work permit after I close down my business?

Any insights are much appreciated.

Thanks!
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Business visa extension without business

Post by mcam »

I've heard some people say places like Lucky Lucky will provide a letter for an extra fee. Anything is possible here if you have the $
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Legally you should apply for EG visa, but it's max 6 months. And I'm not sure haw many back-to-back EG visa they will allow.

Or you could marry your GF, a wedding certificate will give you an EB extension without papers needed.

Or the option above, a fake letter about employment, for as long as that works.

Aging helps, not sure how far you're from the retirement via age.

In the long run you might have to find a solution for your situation, I have the feeling the government will see the re-opening after CoVid as a chance to introduce new visa rules.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

If you are retired then apply for the retirement visa. If you show that your not working and have the means to support yourself you can get a retirement visa.

Be aware that they prefer you show a pension - mainly because they understand it. The first retirement visa I got I had to travel to PP and show the immigration officer that I had a family here and (without disclosing a lot of personal financial information) showed that I was supporting us without working in Cambodia. They still forced me to use an agent to process the application but the gentleman did provide his mobile number for the agent to call and confirm they would issue me a retirement visa even though I was under the age of 55.

I took a copy of our lease, a copy of the document for the house/land my wife owns, a copy of our bank account here in Cambodia, all family member's passports, and a summary of my "retirement earnings" (a document which I admittedly created myself to show I could continue to support our family). Keep in mind this was when they originally created the retirement visa and there was much confusion about whether or not someone under the age of 55 could receive the visa. For the first extension I again went through immigration (though in Siem Reap) but subsequent have used an agent with no issues.

Hope that helps, good luck.
TerrySB
Tourist
Germany

Post by TerrySB »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:15 am Or you could marry your GF, a wedding certificate will give you an EB extension without papers needed.
This is very interesting!
I had no idea it is possible to extend an EB visa with a wedding certificate.
I'll try to get this confirmed by a visa service agency, but that would be great; solving my long-term visa status and making the gf very happy at the same time :smile:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

TerrySB wrote:
Kammekor wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:15 am Or you could marry your GF, a wedding certificate will give you an EB extension without papers needed.
This is very interesting!
I had no idea it is possible to extend an EB visa with a wedding certificate.
I'll try to get this confirmed by a visa service agency, but that would be great; solving my long-term visa status and making the gf very happy at the same time :smile:
I called Kim. Gave her the passport on Sunday, done by Tuesday, picked it up Wednesday. Of course it’s way expired by now. Will need to go through the Cambodian Embassy to even get in now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic