The USA is just lost...

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: The USA is just lost...

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kampuchia Crumbs wrote:BTW, I don't remember seeing marines at the front desk area when I was at the US embassy 2 years ago, I am just assuming they are elsewhere on the grounds.
There’s 1,800 Marines guarding 176 or so locations, works out to 10 Marines or so per location.

In reality, only 3-6 Marines per Embassy. Working primary interior security of classified locations. There’s also a rapid deployment force of Marines that can be dispatched to beef up a location. And a further reserve from Quantico that can be sent.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Chuck Borris wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:51 pm Society where everybody can freely own a gun, where police can shoot you for no reason
Neither of these statements are really accurate.

My non-American friends think they are, however.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:57 pm
TWY wrote:We undoubtedly have a huge amount of problems in the USA. There are no easy answers (much as some like to believe) to most of them.
The good news is that it is possible. We have the resources. We just lack the required leadership.
Government writes all the rules. They decide who pays more or less in taxes. They regulate medical care. They define what is corruption and what is the greater good. They pick the winners and the losers in the system. Not the made up straw men that the media would have everyone hate.
---------------------------
Actually, our elected officials decide who pays more or less in taxes. The two issues around taxes are that 1. People believe things can be "free" and thus no need to pay taxes for government services and 2. the code is written to benefit (in general terms) the rich and upper class. So, yes, I believe in some leadership to fix our tax code. Get rid of deductions. Raise rates on high earners. Tax capital the same as labor.

And your solution is ... more government to fix government?
----------------
No, my solution is different leadership to fix government.

The founders of this country had a deep held belief that government is the problem. Government’s job is to grow and make everyone dependent on government, and not on themselves. Everyone demands that government fix all their problems, while pointing the finger at everyone else for why their problems aren’t yet fixed.
----------------------------------------
I would disagree on your comment that the founders believed "government" in general is the problem. Beyond that, government's role 200 years ago is not very relevant to our lives today. Our government needs to again serve its citizens as opposed to its own interests and the interests of the rich... The only way that type of change will take place is through leadership and a lot of hard work reforming government.

That’s the basic problem as I see it in the USA.

Wishing for outside leadership to dismantle government bureaucracy? Someone to drain the swamp of professional politicians?

Professional politicians and bureaucrats won’t go willingly. They’ll use every trick to convince people that more government is needed to solve problems.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"That government is best which governs least."

Thoreau said it much better than i ever could
"Civil Disobedience" is an essay by American transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau that was first published in 1849. In it, Thoreau argues that individuals should not permit governments to overrule or atrophy their consciences, and that they have a duty to avoid allowing such acquiescence to enable the government to make them the agents of injustice.
Thoreau asserts that because governments are typically more harmful than helpful, they therefore cannot be justified. Democracy is no cure for this, as majorities simply by virtue of being majorities do not also gain the virtues of wisdom and justice. The judgment of an individual's conscience is not necessarily inferior to the decisions of a political body or majority, and so "t is not desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right. The only obligation which I have a right to assume is to do at any time what I think right.... Law never made men a whit more just; and, by means of their respect for it, even the well-disposed are daily made the agents of injustice."[6] He adds, "I cannot for an instant recognize as my government [that] which is the slave's government also."[7]

The government, according to Thoreau, is not just a little corrupt or unjust in the course of doing its otherwise-important work, but in fact the government is primarily an agent of corruption and injustice. Because of this, it is "not too soon for honest men to rebel and revolutionize".[8]

In a constitutional republic like the United States, people often think that the proper response to an unjust law is to try to use the political process to change the law, but to obey and respect the law until it is changed. But if the law is itself clearly unjust, and the lawmaking process is not designed to quickly obliterate such unjust laws, then Thoreau says the law deserves no respect and it should be broken

Take to the streets, take back America, tear it down and start over
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

The powers that shouldn't be control the top level politicians as they control the government funding. The bulk of the funding does not come from taxes, it is created at a keystroke by the central bankers at no cost and loaned to the governments. History shows that these guys will wreck the system and buy up the real assets with funny mummy if they can get away with it. They usually get away with it. Blackrock Corp is the best example currently.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Opinion: The coronavirus is accelerating America’s decline
Published: May 11, 2020 at 2:52 p.m. ET
By Arvind Subramanian

The federal government’s response to the pandemic exposes incompetence and decay. The consequences will play out over years to come.

The United States’ decline, meanwhile, is over-predicted and under-believed. Even before the COVID-19 crisis, key U.S. institutions signaled decay: the incontinent presidency of Donald Trump, a gerrymandered Congress, a politicized Supreme Court, fractured federalism and captured regulatory institutions (with the U.S. Federal Reserve being an outstanding exception).

Deep down, however, many of those Americans who see the decay reject the thesis of decline. They remain convinced that the country’s thick web of non-state institutions and underlying strengths — including its universities, media, entrepreneurial spirit, and technological prowess, as well as the global supremacy of the dollar — provide the resilience America needs to maintain its pre-eminence.

But so far, the world’s richest country has been by far the worst at coping with the pandemic. Although the US has less than 5% of the world’s population, it currently accounts for about 24% of total confirmed COVID-19 deaths and 32% of all cases.

In rapid succession, therefore, America’s credibility and global leadership have been buffeted by imperial overreach (the Iraq war), a rigged economic system (the global financial crisis), political dysfunction (the Trump presidency), and now staggering incompetence in tackling COVID-19. The cumulative blow is devastating, even if it is not yet fatal.

Many of these pathologies in turn stem from the deep and poisonous polarization in US society. Indeed, Trump is now goading his supporters into insurrection. Come November, even the basic democratic criterion of holding free and fair elections could end up being flouted.

Of course, it would be alarmist and premature to see America’s far-reaching failures in the face of the COVID-19 crisis as threatening U.S. democracy or nationhood. But clinging adamantly to American exceptionalism at such a time seems like dangerous denialism.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-c ... 2020-05-07
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Still a young country, with a messy organisation. No wonder ups and downs happens at this quicker pace, bigger scale, considering it had benefitted from then produced great breakthroughs in every matters.

Sad to see so much gunshots, wounds, but so little free care to heal them, though. I guess health uncertainty helps fuelling revolutions, when people have really nothing then to loose.

Good luck, see what we get in november and after.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Donald is cruel': Trump's sister Maryanne is secretly recorded by his niece Mary saying 'you can't trust him' and talking about how he had a friend take his exams to get into college

Maryanne Trump Barry, 83, slammed the president in secret recordings, obtained by the Washington Post
She made the shocking comments back in 2018 and 2019 to estranged niece Mary Trump who secretly recorded the conversation with her aunt
Maryanne blasted her brother for his 'phoniness' and called him 'cruel' over his controversial migrant policies where children were pulled from families
Maryanne said he is 'lying' in the White House and has 'no principles'
She also dismissed Trump's intelligence saying 'he doesn't read' and cited some of his only accomplishments his 'five bankruptcies'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... t-him.html

Those that voted for him are blind to the truth and just so pissed off at the whole goverment thing, that he got in

Major thing wrong with Biden is his 50 years of service in the whole fucked up system, to survive he had to compromise at some time. But than again, he knows how to play the game
sad state of affairs
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

The article is based on the usual false assumption, that the political class are making the big decisions and making the wrong ones. The politicians are not making the big decisions.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Dunderhead wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:55 pm The politicians are not making the big decisions.
Since Twitter is censoring the Prez, I'm inclined to agree.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic