Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Apollo91881 »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:44 pm This article seems topical (my bolding) :mrgreen:

Doctors say they're dealing with significantly more patients who resist their advice because of misinformation they read online

“This is no longer just an anecdotal observation that some individual doctors have made,” Daniel Allington, a senior lecturer at King’s College London told the Times. “This is a statistically significant pattern that we can observe in a large survey.” Allington is also a coauthor of a recent study that found people who got their news online were more likely to believe in conspiracy theories and not follow public health guidelines compared to those who got their news from radio or television.

Some patients have demanded prescriptions for hydroxychloroquine, a medication that the Food and Drug Administration revoked from emergency hospital use for COVID-19 in June after studies found it was not effective against the virus and had potentially dangerous side effects. Last month, clips of a Breitbart video touting misinformation about the coronavirus and hydroxychloroquine quickly went viral on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and were retweeted by President Donald Trump and his son Donald Trump Jr.

The Times reported that some people have gone to hospitals to demand doctor’s notes so they don’t have to wear a face mask because they believed online rumours that masks lower their oxygen levels.

Dr. Ryan Stanton, an emergency room physician in Kentucky, told The Times a number of patients waited until it was almost too late to benefit from treatment before going to the hospital with COVID-19 symptoms. The patients, according to Stanton, didn’t believe the coronavirus was a “big deal.” “They thought it was just a ploy, a sham, a conspiracy,” Stanton told The Times. “It just blew my mind that you can put these blinders on and ignore the facts.”

Last week, a study from the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene found that at least 800 people died in the first three months of 2020 because of false information that claimed drinking bleach could cure coronavirus. Almost 6,000 people were also hospitalized because of that claim, Business Insider previously reported. Parinda Warikarn, a doctor in New York, told The Times she saw a patient who ingested bleach because he thought it would prevent the virus. “He clearly really believed that he was going to prevent Covid,” she said. “Luckily, his wife and two young children didn’t take this solution.”

Dr. Howard Mell, an emergency room physician in Illinois told The Times that the wife of a patient who died from the novel coronavirus yelled at him for writing COVID-19 on the man’s death certificate and accused him of doing it for profit. “She yelled, ‘We’ve seen online how you guys get more money,'” Mell said.

Mell told The Times he deals with several patients each week who strongly believe false information they read online.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/doct ... ion-2020-8
If we could only let natural selection run its course without impacting others in this case.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

where did my post go?

I would have thought we ere all adult enough to take the video with a grain of salt....
and yes some love conspiracy theories
and some love Fox news :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

For those who feel the need to share their conspiracy links and theories on this forum, these belong in Asinine Arena Enter at your own Risk. There are already many conspiracy threads underway, or weird and wacky topics there that you can join, or you can start your own.
asinine-arena-enter-your-own-risk/

This includes any posts promoting Plandemic or other items from the internet spreading conspiracy theories.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plandemic
This is not news, it is misinformation. Please do not clog up the forum with this stuff. Thank you.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
JimmieGonzales
Tourist

Mutated strain of COVID-19 found in Malaysia —but it’s the common strain in the U.S.

Post by JimmieGonzales »

Malaysia has detected a strain of the new coronavirus that’s been found to be 10 times more infectious.
The mutation called D614G, was found in at least three of the 45 cases in a cluster that started from a restaurant owner returning from India and breaching his 14-day home quarantine. The man has since been sentenced to five months in prison and fined.
Fauci Says New Mutation May Speed the Spread of Coronavirus. The strain could mean that existing studies on vaccines may be incomplete or ineffective against the mutation, said Director-General of Health Noor Hisham Abdullah.
The mutation has been found in many other countries,but the strain has become the predominant variant in the U.S..
Worse to Come? The mutation spreads more easily by an individual 'super spreader'.
Some netizens said they feared that with this fast regulatory approval the U. S. may be putting national prestige befor safety amid the global race to develop a vaccine against the disease.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Mutated strain of COVID-19 found in Malaysia —but it’s the common strain in the U.S.

Post by Doc67 »

JimmieGonzales wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:06 am Malaysia has detected a strain of the new coronavirus that’s been found to be 10 times more infectious.
The mutation called D614G, was found in at least three of the 45 cases in a cluster that started from a restaurant owner returning from India and breaching his 14-day home quarantine. The man has since been sentenced to five months in prison and fined.
Fauci Says New Mutation May Speed the Spread of Coronavirus. The strain could mean that existing studies on vaccines may be incomplete or ineffective against the mutation, said Director-General of Health Noor Hisham Abdullah.
The mutation has been found in many other countries,but the strain has become the predominant variant in the U.S..
Worse to Come? The mutation spreads more easily by an individual 'super spreader'.
Some netizens said they feared that with this fast regulatory approval the U. S. may be putting national prestige befor safety amid the global race to develop a vaccine against the disease.
Here's a bit more on this thing. The original paper is almost as sensational as this post. There is nothing about, "10 times more infectious".

The Los Alamos paper, which was published online prior to peer review, describes how researchers combed through a global database of SARS-CoV-2 variants. They found one that seemed to dominate quickly as the virus spread throughout Europe. This variant had several mutations that distinguished it from the Asian version. One was dubbed Spike D614G.

A weakness of the paper, critics say, is that there’s little lab data supporting the assertions it makes. It’s possible the D614G mutation does something important, but it isn't clear what that would be and what it means, says Stanley Perlman, a top coronavirus researcher at the University of Iowa.

Other research suggested SARS-CoV-2 is somewhat more stable than other kinds of viruses. A Scottish study published this week in the journal Virus Evolution noted there have been just over 7,000 documented mutations thus far, a rate about a third that of the flu. The paper suggested these mutations aren’t likely to significantly affect the virus’s biology.

And Roche Holding AG, one of the world’s biggest players in diagnostics, has said it hasn’t seen any mutation that would compromise the accuracy of its Covid-19 tests. (They would say that though...)

“It’s important to remember that viruses mutate,” said Oscar MacLean, a lead author on the study and researcher at MRC-University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research. “That’s what they do all the time.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-it-means
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Philippines reports 4,650 new COVID-19 cases and 111 more deaths as it eases lockdown in Manila
19 Aug 2020 05:17PM
(Updated: 19 Aug 2020 05:18PM)
MANILA: The Philippine health ministry on Wednesday (Aug 19) confirmed 4,650 new COVID-19 infections and 111 more deaths, as lockdown rules were eased in and around Manila.

In a bulletin, the ministry said total confirmed cases have risen to 173,774, the highest in Southeast Asia, while deaths have increased to 2,795.

The government on Wednesday relaxed a strict lockdown in the capital and nearby provinces, allowing more business establishments to resume operations.
Quarantine measures were reimposed in metro Manila and nearby provinces such as Laguna, Cavite, Rizal and Bulacan for two weeks from Aug 4.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... s-13034432
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

New CDC guidance on virus testing. Apparently virus fragments can persist way after (like weeks or months), after the infection and period that the virus can be spread to others.

After a positive test in a healthy person after 10 days, the person is no longer infectious and no further need to be retested. Assuming that the person has not had any symptoms and fever for 72 hours.

Only after 90 days, does a healthy person need to be retested for virus.

However, in sick with multiple co-morbidities and immunocompromised people it’s after 20 days. And 72 hours without symptoms.

This is probably where the IATA 72 hour rule is coming from.

Guidelines are evolving as more is learned.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:58 am
glennb6 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:12 am
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:14 pm
glennb6 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:39 pm Vit C = cheap, inexpensive.

HCQ = cheap, inexpensive.

Vaxes that don't exist = expensive
As the above two posters indicate, you're trolling with this nonsense and it's not helpful to genuine discussion going forward. Suggest you back off or some time off is in order.
clutch, you a forum mod or just recommending censorship and limiting free speech?
Well, as a mod I step in when I think a member is trolling and/or spreading misinformation/nonsense which disrupts or derails discussions.

And I see you just name called a member in the post above so I think it's best you have a few days off.
Clutch, so you're a mod... and I got a childish timeout for a 'name calling!?'

How about a few other members who "wanted to lock me and my mates up" ? 'who said they wanted to "piss in my mouth"?' and some who call me a conspiracy nut?!

I don't care if they are insultingly stupid in their replies or if they call me names. Maybe I throw it back at them and maybe I just laugh - it's just an online forum, not kindergarten.

The one topic that I obviously care about is the CV scam. But when a forum applies censorship and bias towards opinions I speak, when I do so without being overly crude/offensive/abusive - that's simply bias and one-sided hypocrisy.

If you want the forum to have a onside monologue, just say so and I'll delete.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Cow urine and gasoline: Asia's curious COVID cure claims
Politicians and officials across region have proposed some suspect treatments

Dilip Ghosh, a member of the country's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party and president of its unit in West Bengal state, suggested last month that consuming cow urine would help boost immunity against COVID-19.

"Those who consume alcohol, how will you understand the worth of a cow?" he was quoted as saying by The Hindu newspaper. He wasn't the first to make the claim. His party colleague, Suman Haripriya from the northeastern state of Assam, said back in March that cow urine and dung can help cure coronavirus.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... ure-claims

"Much of this has been fuelled by social media and a rise in scepticism towards the pharmaceutical industry, whom conspiracy theorists paint as a sinister behemoth acting out of self-interest against the public good."
https://www.thejournal.ie/fake-cures-co ... 9-Aug2020/
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Urine has long been a traditional therapy for all sorts of ailments ... for centuries and millennia.

Along with bloodletting ...

Fortunately foxglove is still very much used today. As is mold extract.

There is sometimes truth in ancient cures.. and some times not.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic