Swedes stuck in KoW

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Swedes stuck in KoW

Post by Khmu Nation »

Poor things must feel like hostages. Maybe they will develop Stockholm syndrome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

theKid wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:44 pm
Joakim wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:58 pm
- He bought a plane ticket and came all the way to Frankfurt. But he was not allowed in there and had to buy a ticket back to Cambodia again for 30,000 kronor.
Hahahaha. Right! WTF
Yeah, that's bullshit. He wouldn't have been let back in so no airline would of taken him. With a Swedish passport, once your on the ground in Germany there is no way you won't get to Sweden. I'm not buying any of this.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

I call bs they wanted to stay and now they have run out of money.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Unless Sweden has some type of testing requirement to re-enter for himself or restrictions on his Australian girlfriend, I can't see how this story is possibly true.

Korean Airlines has been flying every day. I can understand not wanting to transit through China but what is the issue with Korea? Heck KLM is parters with Korean Air so you can definitely fly through Amsterdam on one ticket and be in transit in both Seoul and Amsterdam.

I'd be interested in knowing what airline he/she were originally booked on to fly back to Sweden. Perhaps it was Cathay Pacific and they just don't want to buy another ticket?

Where there is a will there is a way certainly applies here once the month of June rolled around.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

This is just a sob story. 1,500 USD each would have gotten them a ticket to Western Europe. From there there's loads of possibilities to Sweden. The time travel was impossible has gone for about six weeks now. It would have cost them, for sure, but that's the way it is.

It is possible Sweden / Europe would have denied the GF though, maybe that's why they didn't go, but that's not what the article says.
blueman.cambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blueman.cambodia »

Sweden is paying a weekly pension to their citizens stuck off-shore. I call bullshit.
Joakim
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Joakim »

blueman.cambodia wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:02 pm Sweden is paying a weekly pension to their citizens stuck off-shore. I call bullshit.
Sorry, but what are U talking about???
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I think the lack of sympathy by people on this forum is sad. People did not know this was coming, and were unable to prepare for it. Some people may have had enough money if they had returned when planned, but now they may not have enough money.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I have a lot of sympathy for those that have been impacted by the epidemic.

People who could not travel to attend loved ones funerals. People who have had their businesses closed and financial lives badly damaged. People who have gotten severely sick and died.

But the idea that two 30 year olds, who have family members offering financial support, can't navigate their way home in June or July or August is just beyond a stretch. As I indicated, unless there is some testing requirement that they cannot meet in Cambodia - that is preventing their entry into Sweden, then I can't see how this is a true story.

A story that said they had tickets on Cathay Pacific and cannot make it home via those tickets and their families can't come up with $3K to buy them tickets home..... ok. Would wonder how you decide to travel with very little cushion for anything going wrong - but ok. This is just two folks that are either inept or expecting their government to play nanny for them. Buy a ticket and head to the airport and fly home. They could do it in June, in July and tomorrow if they wanted to.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

It could be worse...They could be stuck in the UK.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic