Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by glennb6 »

the curiosity of why SEA countries with virtually nil infections and inconsequential fatality numbers are so keen on remaining locked up and closed for T&T. While govt wonks and leaders (I hate using that word and govt in the same sentence, sorry) oft act as if they were plain stupid and ignorant, I don't believe that for a minute. Untrustworthy assholes probably but they are educated and intelligent yes and if they want to learn the 'real' numbers they have staff that can provide that data.

It's becoming well known that most CV deaths have been in old and sick people, many of which were confined to nursing homes, hospices, and care facilities. There have not been bodies in the street and the supposed news of hospitals overflowing with CV victims and crematoriums running 24/7 has been shown to be propaganda. In short, the 'real' numbers are BS. Infected and contagious but with no symptoms? Maybe some people fall for that but govt wonks probably know different.

So, why self-destroy T&T and all the supporting businesses? Why close borders? Why issue 'emergency decrees' and the dictatorial powers that they self-grant themselves? Why continue the fear propaganda through the media and large businesses?
None of this makes financial sense to any of the SEA countries bottom line.

If it doesn't make sense financially, and medically CV is known to be be a dud no worse than a flu, what does make sense?

Money? Control and strong arm 'suggestions' to take the money and go along with the program or else? WHO, UN, WEF, The Great Reset, Agenda 21, Agenda 2030, world level politics... yes that might be getting a little conspiratorial for some, or maybe not.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Anchor Moy »

glennb6 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:43 pm the curiosity of why SEA countries with virtually nil infections and inconsequential fatality numbers are so keen on remaining locked up and closed for T&T. While govt wonks and leaders (I hate using that word and govt in the same sentence, sorry) oft act as if they were plain stupid and ignorant, I don't believe that for a minute. Untrustworthy assholes probably but they are educated and intelligent yes and if they want to learn the 'real' numbers they have staff that can provide that data.

It's becoming well known that most CV deaths have been in old and sick people, many of which were confined to nursing homes, hospices, and care facilities. There have not been bodies in the street and the supposed news of hospitals overflowing with CV victims and crematoriums running 24/7 has been shown to be propaganda. In short, the 'real' numbers are BS. Infected and contagious but with no symptoms? Maybe some people fall for that but govt wonks probably know different.

So, why self-destroy T&T and all the supporting businesses? Why close borders? Why issue 'emergency decrees' and the dictatorial powers that they self-grant themselves? Why continue the fear propaganda through the media and large businesses?
None of this makes financial sense to any of the SEA countries bottom line.

If it doesn't make sense financially, and medically CV is known to be be a dud no worse than a flu, what does make sense?

Money? Control and strong arm 'suggestions' to take the money and go along with the program or else? WHO, UN, WEF, The Great Reset, Agenda 21, Agenda 2030, world level politics... yes that might be getting a little conspiratorial for some, or maybe not.
I disagree.
It does make sense for Cambodia to shut borders and be cautious because the health care system in this country is so weak. There is already chikungunya and dengue fever outbreaks among the population which has to be dealt with right now.

There are not enough facilities in Cambodia to deal with a massive coronavirus outbreak, so I applaud the caution (in theory). However, if they are going to keep the borders closed, then there has to be a bigger financial assistance by the government. A large percentage of Cambodians work "informally" as non-declared workers and all these people are being ignored. An even bigger problem is the dependence on money from migrant workers, most of them working in Thailand, but there's nothing to do until the Thais ease their entry restrictions.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Clutch Cargo »

From another topic:
glennb6 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:43 pm ...medically CV is known to be be a dud no worse than a flu,
@glennb6 What basis do you have for this assertion?

I just googled 'is covid 19 just the flu?' and here are some top results:

Here’s Why COVID-19 Is Much Worse Than the Flu https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... nt-the-flu

How does the new coronavirus compare with the flu? https://www.livescience.com/new-coronav ... h-flu.html
Research so far indicates that COVID-19 spreads more easily and has a higher death rate than the flu.

Why Comparing Flu and COVID-19 Severity Is Not Equivalent https://www.contagionlive.com/news/why- ... equivalent

No, Coronavirus Isn't 'Just Like The Flu'. Here Are The Very Important Differences https://www.sciencealert.com/the-new-co ... -in-common

How does coronavirus COVID-19 compare to flu? https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020 ... u/12073696
COVID-19 is not the same as flu. So far, the novel coronavirus appears more contagious, more deadly and has more potential to overwhelm the health system.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

The projected yearly numbers “between flu and tuberculosis” are globally. We are in the 8th month globally now. The virus didn’t start to register in the western world in Jan-Feb because they were not testing for it in the western world in those months. No testing - no virus, as we know quite well by now. Western countries didn’t do testing in winter months but then started testing with a vengeance. SEA countries did some low-scale testing at the beginning but then due to many cases being bad to the country image and generally this being a costly procedure, almost stopped it altogether. US alone does more testing in one day now than all SEA countries did all together in 8 months.

They keep saying it is more contagious than a flu. I keep repeating that half a billion people get infected with flu every year, so how accurate is the number of covid infections published daily? It should be as high as flu infections if it is that contagious, right? So what is the mortality rate then? Come on, it is not high level math.

“Let her rip” approach would have resulted in more deaths over a shorter time, but the yearly figures will be the same as at some point fragiles will have to make a contact with the outside world and face it.

Suppose, in a normal year out of 10 fragiles: 1 would die from flu, 2 from tb, another 7 from diabetes, hypertension, cancer.
Well, in this covid year, you will have the same 10 deaths, but some of the diabetes, hypertension and cancer deaths will be replaced by covid deaths.
Statistically this 1 million of covid related deaths in a year will NOT register as a higher mortality year. They would have died from diabetes or hypertension or a bad flu this year, because they were already very fragile with no immunity left in their bodies. It was ok to keep these people in a voluntary lockdown. But only these people, if they chose so. What we witnessed is an inadequate response due to incompetence or malice, up to you to decide.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^^
That's fine that you have such a view and I can see it is your interpretation of things. However that view is not backed up by general consensus within the medical and scientific community as per the links I provided above. Have you read the articles? I have and I see no substance to people's assertion that the virus is just the flu. These are not dodgy sites spouting speculative analyses. I place more emphasis on sources that can be substantiated and know what they are talkng about.
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

hunter8 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:05 pm The projected yearly numbers “between flu and tuberculosis” are globally. We are in the 8th month globally now. The virus didn’t start to register in the western ...
Show the links to mainstream scientific journals that back your assertions otherwise you’re just like any other waco conspiracy theorist.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

hunter8 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:05 pm
Statistically this 1 million of covid related deaths in a year will NOT register as a higher mortality year. They would have died from diabetes or hypertension or a bad flu this year, because they were already very fragile with no immunity left in their bodies. It was ok to keep these people in a voluntary lockdown. But only these people, if they chose so. What we witnessed is an inadequate response due to incompetence or malice, up to you to decide.
On April 25th you said there would only be 600k deaths in the year based on there being 200k in the 1st 4 months. Now
after 750k in 7.5 months you say it will be 1 million in the year. I disagree with nearly everything you try to push with regards to this virus. The death rate is unfortunately still rising and probably will for some time yet putting it at well over 1 million deaths for the 1st year.

Do you have any trusted friends that are doctors in any of the hospitals dealing with mass cases of the virus? I suspect not or you would not be pushing so much uniformed crap.

I don't understand people's reluctance to listen to experts on this matter. Is it fear, stupidity, too much David Icke or just people's way to justify being so selfish in not giving a shit about other people?
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

hburns wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:41 pm ...
I don't understand people's reluctance to listen to experts on this matter. Is it fear, stupidity, too much David Icke or just people's way to justify being so selfish in not giving a shit about other people?
I think it’s essentially self-centredness. They focus on how the pandemic is affecting them e.g. lack of income, lack of mobility, separation from loved ones etc and in frustration blame or attack the very people they would usually trust e.g. doctors, experts etc. We all feel helpless in this situation but not having everyone follow the advice is sure to make this worse no matter what the advice! I think they do sympathise with those who have lost loved ones at this time.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Coronavirus lock down needs an end game plan

Post by explorer »

If you look at what is happening with Coronavirus lock downs in most of the countries in the world, there is no end game plan. It is just an experiment to see how long people will put up with leaders putting unreasonable restrictions on them. This could go on for years. Any smart leader should have an end game plan. Like after a certain amount of time we return to normal. People will start ignoring the rules, and doing what they want. When enough people have had enough, the leaders will have to follow the will of the people. The sooner the people speak up, the better.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Coronavirus lock down needs an end game plan

Post by nemo »

It is just an experiment to see how long people will put up with leaders putting unreasonable restrictions on them.
You have mentioned this a few times now.
It suggests you think the pandemic is fake.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic