O dear, Protests in Bangkok

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: O dear, Protests in Bangkok

Post by Alex »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 am There are some very brave people speaking out, I am full of admiration for their courage.
Indeed, it's very encouraging to see this.

If I was a member of the establishment, I would be worried, and their reactions don't surprise me. These demands are a declaration of war - you only ask for the king to be accountable if you eventually want to put him on trial. No sugar coating and attempting to dance around the elephant in the room this time. Let's see how this will play out.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

How it will play out, I expect, is with the military firing upon unarmed student protestors. Isn't that the way Thailand always deals with these things.

This doesn't sound promising, "Vajiralongkorn is furious about the protests, and is demanding action from the military and government to crush them."
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:43 pm How it will play out, I expect, is with the military firing upon unarmed student protestors. Isn't that the way Thailand always deals with these things.

This doesn't sound promising, "Vajiralongkorn is furious about the protests, and is demanding action from the military and government to crush them."
Let them eat cake.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:43 pm How it will play out, I expect, is with the military firing upon unarmed student protestors. Isn't that the way Thailand always deals with these things.
I think they need to be a lot more careful nowadays. Back then they could pull off the trick that even most Thais who were critical of the establishment and military were nevertheless loyal to the king (naively if you want), which effectively split the opposition into a relatively small camp that wanted to go all the way and all the rest. That could have changed quite dramatically in the meantime.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

good read;;
Thai protesters have broken a long-standing taboo, risking lengthy jail terms to criticise the king, after weeks of student-led pro-democracy rallies that have swept across the country.

Over recent weeks, high school and university students have targeted the government of prime minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha, calling for its dissolution and for democratic reforms. Now, some protesters have begun openly criticising the country’s wealthy and powerful monarchy.

......Matthew Wheeler, a senior analyst for the International Crisis Group, said the protest movement had now “crossed the Rubicon”.

The government is in a difficult position, he added, because any move to quash protests could lead to “a backlash that intensifies debate about the role of the monarchy and erodes the legitimacy of the government”.

There was also a risk of vigilantism and violence against activists, added Wheeler.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... xKjBmOjzK8

This is not 1976 and they will not, (i hope) call out the army to attack students
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Pure comedy of how all this was triggered by a flu. But Thais are a lazy bunch: I expected something like this to start happening three months earlier. I guess it’s buddhism. The difference to before is now they can upload videos for the world to see and everyone is a reporter. Until they cut off internet.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hunter8 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:27 pm Pure comedy of how all this was triggered by a flu. But Thais are a lazy bunch: I expected something like this to start happening three months earlier. I guess it’s buddhism. The difference to before is now they can upload videos for the world to see and everyone is a reporter. Until they cut off internet.
Started back in feb
The protests were initially triggered by the dissolution of the pro-democracy Future Forward Party (FFP) in late February 2020. The protests were held exclusively in academia grounds and were brought to a halt by the COVID-19 pandemic due to academia shutdown order. The protests erupted again on 18 July as a demonstration organized under Free Youth (Thai: เยาวชนปลดแอก; RTGS: yaowachon plot aek) at the Democracy Monument in Bangkok, gathering approximately 2,500 protesters. Three demands were given to the government: the resignation of the cabinet, the dissolution of parliament, and drafting of a new constitution. The July protests were triggered by the impact of COVID-19 pandemic and enforcement of the Emergency Decree.
now to late to back down.........change is coming...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

The k has returned home,( stayed all of 18 hours), long live the K
while the country gets ready for .......

BANGKOK -- Student protests have been growing in Bangkok with demonstrators openly calling for a change of government, a proper debate on the role of the monarchy and constitutional reforms. There have also recently been smaller protests in over 45 of the kingdom's 76 provinces.

Following a demonstration on Monday at Thammasat University, students had planned to stage an afternoon protest in Lumpini Park in the heart of Bangkok on Wednesday -- a public holiday marking Queen Mother Sirikit's birthday that is celebrated nationally as Mother's Day.

The event was called off the night before, organizers implied to deny suspected fifth-columnists an opportunity to cause disruption.

An even bigger protest is, however, planned for Sunday at Democracy Monument near the administrative heart of the capital.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Turbul ... gow26_HbfE
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Laos and Cambodia will soon be receiving the Thai refugees

whilst Malyasia, indonesia and Viet Nam will be picking up the Thai boat people.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

hunter8 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:27 pm Pure comedy of how all this was triggered by a flu. But Thais are a lazy bunch: I expected something like this to start happening three months earlier. I guess it’s buddhism. The difference to before is now they can upload videos for the world to see and everyone is a reporter. Until they cut off internet.
yes if only there had been phones with cameras 10 yeras ago. Oh wait what is this?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic