Again the logic escapes me..................

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Again the logic escapes me..................

Post by Arget »

No casualties after officer opens fire
Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times

Sun Dinath is released after the investigation found the shooting “accidental”. People News
A military police officer from Siem Reap province was on Sunday the subject of an investigation after he drunkenly fired multiple shots in the military police headquarters.

Deputy provincial military police chief Lieutenant Colonel Men Kosal identified the suspect as 3rd Lieutenant Sun Dinath, 37.

He noted at about 7pm on Saturday, Dinath, who was inebriated at the time, opened fire at the provincial military police headquarters located in Siem Reap city’s Svay Dangkum commune.

“He became drunk, took an AK-47 rifle and fired about 10 bullets in the air,” said Lt Col Kosal. “No one was hit in the incident.”

“After firing shots, he went to sleep on the hammock in the office and acted as if nothing happened,” he said.

Dinath was summoned the following day by the provincial military police commander for questioning over the unauthorised discharge of his firearm.

National Military Police spokesman Brigadier General Eng Hy confirmed that Dinath was released yesterday after an investigation by the provincial military police found that the shooting was accidental and harmed no one.

“He was not charged. He now has been released after being educated and after signing a contract promising that the incident will not happen again,” he said.

So there is no problem being drunk and have access to loaded firearms.
No issue because he didn't hit anyone.
Finding that to fire at least ten shots it was an accidental discharge.

Guess he is well connected.

Doesn't give a high rating on discipline, safety and responsibility from the Military Police.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Again the logic escapes me..................

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Where once these types of events might leave me open-mouthed with astonishment, I'm now completely unsurprised and really indifferent about it all. It's actually a little disconcerting how much injustice, or how particularly ridiculous a situation has to be for me to be affected to the point of proclaiming indignation.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Last time I was in SR, under two years back, there was a drunk green shirt Gendarme letting about five or six shots down Soksan road at 10pm, in front of Mcools bar at head height.

Then a while later some regular coppers gave him a push off on his scooter so he wouldn't fall over while taking off.

Siam Reap is a shithole.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Who you are is more important than what you do. TIC.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

So discharging a firearm is OK as long as it's accidental and you don't hit anyone?

Then if you do hit someone and you're some army dude with high up family connections, you're still on the loose..

newsworthy/man-shoots-medical-student-g ... 35626.html

Warning: graphic pic
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Thank goodness bullets don’t follow gravity in the Kingdom of Wonder.

What goes up must come down.

Lots of people in other parts of the world are often injured or killed by celebratory gunfire.

Cambodia is magical. People from Wuhan are cured of all traces of the virus on arrival, and bullets go into outer space so negligent discharges never harm anyone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic